Arnold_and_Joan

Manila Interview - some tips

15 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi everyone! We just finished our Visa Interview in Manila today and it went without a hitch or problem. Here are some tips I can give:

- Someone had a guide here with layout of the place. Print that out and follow it.

- DO NOT BRING YOUR X-RAY films. I saw a lot of people with it - it's not necessary. Just make sure you brought the sealed envelope St. Luke's gave you. It's a hassle carrying that large envelope around anyhow.

- If a guard outside tells you to wait on the side first and you can't get in the "Waiting Shed" area, don't believe him. I dropped my fiance off to park the car and found her waiting on the side (where the vendors and fixers are). I went to the line and asked another guard and he said I could go in. Just tell them you're for immigrant visa. We were there around 5:40AM and our appointment was 7:30AM.

- If USC is here to be with the fiance for the interview bring your PASSPORT

- Don't bother bringing cel phones or any other electronic device. You'll just surrender them.

- Inside the place you'll be given a ticket number ACCORDING TO YOUR INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT TIME. Ours was 7:30AM so we had to sit and wait until all the 6:30 appointees got their numbers first. So getting there really really early if your appointment is at 8:30AM is useless.

- Don't worry about the numbers being called or flashing on the board seem to be higher than yours. You haven't been bypassed. They call the numbers in a somewhat random order - I think according to who can get your file together quicker.

- Familiarize yourself with the surrounding - which window is what number - A few people wandered around when their number flashed looking for the room or window to go to.

- Make sure you have 2 extra passport photos and your complete forms. The person in front of us didn't and so they asked him to go back outside and have passport photos taken, gave him missing forms and had them complete it frist. Instead of being #1 for our time slot they went to #24. still no big deal it was about an hour difference.

- Bring at least Php 300.00 for paying Delbros for delivery of fiance's passport and visa. Ours cost around $165 (??) I think.

- Be honest - don't be nervous.

- They asked us the following questions:

> How did our relationship start

> When did we first meet face to face

> When did I propose

> Were we ever married before

> Do we have kids

> What do I do for a living? (the petitioner)

> When did I arrive here in Philippines (petitioner)

> When do we plan to leave for U.S. (we said sometime in May)

.... Pretty basic questions. There wasn't even any cross-examination, i.e. we weren't tested to see if we really know anything about each other.

- I prepared a new set of pictures and copies of boarding passes, receipts, etc. to present as an ongoing relationship. The pre-screener Just took the pictures gave us back all the other photocopies. Then the Consul NEVER even looked at the pictures just gave it back to me, which surprised me. She just went through my old pictures (from my submission of the petition in the U.S.)

- Here's another thing that surprised me. They didn't ask for her Police Clearance or Barranggay Clearance or CENOMAR. Just NBI and Birth Certificate is what we handed over.

Well that's it. No big deal. No hassle. Just make sure you have all your papers ready. Good Luck Everyone!!!!

Arnold & Joan

Arnold & Joan's Timeline

============ AOS Phase ========

05/28/07 - Applied for Joan's SSN - no problems - got it in mail a few days later

07/09/07 - Got Maui'd in Hawaii Wedding Photos

07/19/07 - Got vaccination for Joan (she didn't get it in Phil)

08/15/07 - Filed our AOS papers

10/--/07 - Found out we sent the papers to wrong office. We've called several times to get this clarified but all got is that we need to WAIT for our papers to be forwarded or returned to us.

10/--/07 - We got our papers back.... ngngngng and re-sent it to the right office

01/23/08 - Got our interview date

03/10/08 - INTERVIEW DONE!! Our Interview Experience

Congratulations on your interview success. :thumbs: This is a very good and informative post, thank you for sharing. You really should contact Captain Ewok to see if he will pin it for future interviewees going through Manila.

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Singapore
Timeline

Make sure you add the review to the Review Section :):

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/

I am an Ewok. I am here to to keep the peace. Please contact me if you have a problem with the site or a complaint regarding a violation of the Terms of Service. For the fastest response please use the 'Contact Us' page to contact me.

Make sure you add the review to the Review Section :):

http://www.visajourney.com/reviews/

Done! Again, this was a very nice post and could really benefit future petitions going through Manila!

I did notice that the review posted twice so I don't have a clue how I accomplished that :wacko:

Edited by jasman0717

usa_fl_sm_nwm.gifphilippines_fl_md_clr.gif

United States & Republic of the Philippines

"Life is hard; it's harder if you're stupid." John Wayne

Congratulations! How nice of you to share this very helpful information to others working for their papers in Manila US Embassy. Mine was done in HK US Embassy, which is true you don't need to bring your X-ray films and your cellphone will be surrender to the guard before allowing you inside the embassy....again thank you for sharing your experience and goodluck for the rest of the journey :thumbs:

--------------------------------------------------------------

Naturalization

Aug. 05, 2009......sent N-400

Aug. 06, 2009......delivered at 11:45

Aug. 17, 2009.....NOA

Sept.01, 2009.....biometric appointment

Sept.12, 2009.....rcved interview letter

Oct. 19, 2009.....date of interview....passed!!!!!

Nov. 18, 2009.....Oath Ceremony...yahooooooooo!!!!!!!!!

Hi everyone! We just finished our Visa Interview in Manila today and it went without a hitch or problem. Here are some tips I can give:

- Someone had a guide here with layout of the place. Print that out and follow it.

- DO NOT BRING YOUR X-RAY films. I saw a lot of people with it - it's not necessary. Just make sure you brought the sealed envelope St. Luke's gave you. It's a hassle carrying that large envelope around anyhow.

- If a guard outside tells you to wait on the side first and you can't get in the "Waiting Shed" area, don't believe him. I dropped my fiance off to park the car and found her waiting on the side (where the vendors and fixers are). I went to the line and asked another guard and he said I could go in. Just tell them you're for immigrant visa. We were there around 5:40AM and our appointment was 7:30AM.

- Don't bother bringing cel phones or any other electronic device. You'll just surrender them.

- Inside the place you'll be given a ticket number ACCORDING TO YOUR INTERVIEW APPOINTMENT TIME. Ours was 7:30AM so we had to sit and wait until all the 6:30 appointees got their numbers first. So getting there really really early if your appointment is at 8:30AM is useless.

- Don't worry about the numbers being called or flashing on the board seem to be higher than yours. You haven't been bypassed. They call the numbers in a somewhat random order - I think according to who can get your file together quicker.

- Familiarize yourself with the surrounding - which window is what number - A few people wandered around when their number flashed looking for the room or window to go to.

- Make sure you have 2 extra passport photos and your complete forms. The person in front of us didn't and so they asked him to go back outside and have passport photos taken, gave him missing forms and had them complete it frist. Instead of being #1 for our time slot they went to #24. still no big deal it was about an hour difference.

- Bring at least Php 300.00 for paying Delbros for delivery of fiance's passport and visa. Ours cost around $165 (??) I think.

> When did I propose

> Do we have kids

.... Pretty basic questions. There wasn't even any cross-examination, i.e. we weren't tested to see if we really know anything about each other.

- I prepared a new set of pictures and copies of boarding passes, receipts, etc. to present as an ongoing relationship. The pre-screener Just took the pictures gave us back all the other photocopies. Then the Consul NEVER even looked at the pictures just gave it back to me, which surprised me. She just went through my old pictures (from my submission of the petition in the U.S.)

- Here's another thing that surprised me. They didn't ask for her Police Clearance or Barranggay Clearance or CENOMAR. Just NBI and Birth Certificate is what we handed over.

Well that's it. No big deal. No hassle. Just make sure you have all your papers ready. Good Luck Everyone!!!!

Arnold & Joan

To Arnold & Joan

CONGRATULATIONS!!!YOU MADE IT..

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

-Arnold & Joan

May i ask what is "sealed envelop from St.Luke's?...i didn't know this, they just gave me my xray and vaccinations record.

thanks

Dec.2004 -first hello

Feb.2005-Taiwan chinese new year first meeting

June.2005-Boracay Philippines

Jan.2006-Taiwan celebrating his birthday with me

July.2006-Thailand (Bangkok)& Philippines

Dec.2006~Jan.2007-Thailand (pattaya)

--------------------------

K1

Oct.23,2006-NOA1

Oct.25,2006-first touched

Jan.23,2007-touched after 88days since NOA1

Jan.23,2007-NOA2 THANKS GOD!!!!

Jan.24,2007-touched

Jan.30,2007-NOA2 snail mail

Feb.06,2007-Recieved letter from NVC MNL2007533***

March,08,2007- Recieved 2 letters from Manila Embassy...i guess this is pre-interview notice huh(datedFeb.13,2007)

Apr.04,2007-Packet4

Apr.27,2007-Medical

May 08,2007-Interview (7:30am)-APPROVED THANK YOU LORD!!!

May 12,2007-(sat.?)VISA in hand woooohoooooooo

June 19,2007-Departure

----------------------

July 7,2007-Wedding Day

July 16,2007- Applied SSN in married name...(Recieved SSN card in the mail July 24th)

AOS

July 17,2007- Sent AOS/EAD application

July 17,2007- Applied for State ID in married Name(got August 05,2007)

July 18,2007- Driver's learners permit test....passed

Aug. 09,2007-Passport Amended in Philippine Embassy Washington D.C. (done the next day)

Aug. 21,2007- Biometrics AOS and AED

Sept.26,2007- EAD Card production ordered

Oct. 01,2007-EAD Approval Notice Sent(Recieved in the mailed Oct.04)

Oct. 03,2007-Passed the Driver Test Iam a license driver now yey-AOS Transferred to CSC

Nov. 27,2007-Card Production Prdered

116252889265330.gif

The sealed envelope is typically sent directly to the Embassy along with your Passport and the 2 passport photos your are supposed to bring to SLE. In this case maybe SLE gave them the envelope but not in ours and we did not need 2 additional passport photos. Ken & Maria

-Arnold & Joan

May i ask what is "sealed envelop from St.Luke's?...i didn't know this, they just gave me my xray and vaccinations record.

thanks

"Better to be hated for who you are than to be loved for who you are not!"

Timeline:

22 Jul 06 - Received NOA-1

18 Sep 06 - Received NOA2 in mail

11 Oct 06 - Case MNL783xxx received by Manila Embassy... guess NVC lied

26 Dec 06 - Received Packet 4

18-19 Jan 07 - Medical complete early, scheduled 8 Feb

19 Jan - CFO completed after SLE shots... have to go back for the stamp after visa approval

15 Feb 07 - Interview Approved

24 Feb 07 - Arrive at Honolulu POE

2 Apr 07 - Married, civil ceremony, mailed AOS

17 Apr 07 - Checks cashed for AOS & AP

22 Apr 07 - Filed Expedite for AP

8 May 07 - Biometrics Appt

8 May 07 - Filed complaint with local USCIS for no action on Expedite request

9 May 07 - AP Expedite approved via email

14 May 07 - received AP I-512L documents in the mail

25 Jun 07 - AOS Interview scheduled but cancelled due to deployment and family emergency

29 Nov 07 - Visited local USCIS to reschedule AOS interview

15 Jan 08 - Local USCIS finally forwards reschedule request after formal complaint

8 Feb 08 - Received new Interview date

28 Mar 08 - AOS Interview ..investigation reopened due to incorrect birthdate that was identified 05/07

16 Apr 08 - CRIS Notice of GC approval and welcome notice via email

25 Apr 08 - GC received finally!

15 Jan 10 - Mailed Lifting of Conditions Package

19 Jan 10 - Package received at VT USCIS

22 Jan 10 - Checked cashed by USCIS

26 Jan 10 - Received NOA dated 20 Jan 10

29 Jan 10 - Received NOA for Biometrics

The sealed envelope is typically sent directly to the Embassy along with your Passport and the 2 passport photos your are supposed to bring to SLE. In this case maybe SLE gave them the envelope but not in ours and we did not need 2 additional passport photos. Ken & Maria

-Arnold & Joan

thanks

OMG!!!! :wacko: Good thing I read the thread thoroughly!!! I got panicked!!! I ran and checked my xray film and vaccination record. I kept looking for a SEALED ENVELOPE that arnold & joan said. I believe in ken_maria SLMEC is responsible for sending that envelope to USE. I only got my xray film & vaccination record. I still got my passport they returned it to me since I went to Hong Kong after my medical exam. They just stamped SLMEC something something at the back of my passport. The lady just adviced me to bring my passport on my interview day!!!

K3 VISA:

09/20/06 - I-130 Sent

10/03/06 - I-129F sent.

10/10/06- I-129F NOA1

11/28/06 - BOTH I-129F & I-130 approved!!!!

12/27/06 - NVC Left case no. assigned MNL 200685XXXX

01/26/07 - Received Packet 3

02/27/07 - Received Packet 4

03/01-02/07 - Done with my Medical Appointment at St. Lukes

04/17/07 - Interview at U.S Embassy - got the blue slip..on AR

07/05/07 - Went back to US Embassy submitted new affidavit of support for my K3, we'll wait for decision, still on AR

07/24/07 - OMG!!!! I cant believe it I got my K3 Visa in hand!!!

08/09/07 - Arrival in the U.S - POE at LAX

AOS:

08/27/07 - Sent AOS and EAD

08/29/07 - Chicago Lockbox received both AOS and EAD

09/18/07 - Checks cashed 09/21/07 - NOA on both AOS and EAD

09/27/07 - Received Biometrics Appointment Notice

10/18/07 - Biometrics

10/19/07 - Received RFE

10/26/07 - USCIS received the response to our RFE

11/05/07 - EAD Card Production ordered

11/16/07 - EAD Card received

11/26/07 - Received interview notice

01/25/08 - Interview Date!!!! APPROVED!!!

04/18/08 - At long last! GC Card production ordered

04/21/08 - Email noticed welcome letter

04/23/08 - Email card production again

04/25/08 - Welcome Letter received

04/30/08 - Greencard received

Timeline

> When did I propose

> Do we have kids

Arnold & Joan

what sealed envelope? im curious..im on a k1 and they didnt give me any sealed envelope just the x ray film and the vaccination worksheet....

timeline:

K-1 Timeline

02-02-06 = met online

09-11-06 = met fiancee

09-27-06 = USCIS received File (NOA1)

12-07-06 = USCIS approved petition (NOA2) - sent to NVC

12-26-06 = NVC sent approved petition to Manila/assigned case number

01-12-07 = manila, US embassy received approved petition

01-18-07 = Manila, US embassy sent fiancee pre-interview notice

02-28-07 = K Packet received (US embassy:packet was sent 2-15-07)

04-10-07 = Medical

04-16-07 = Interview ( APPROVED!!!) -- Praise God!!!

04-27-07 = VISA in hand

06-08-07 = Arrived USA

07-21-07 = Church Wedding

AOS Timeline:

07-23-07 = AOS/EAD package mailed

07-25-07 = Package received at P.O. Box Chicago, IL

08-16-07 = Biometrics Appointement Notice in mail

08-24-07 = for AOS/EAD Biometrics in Hammond, IN

08-31-07 = NOA1 for EAD received / NOA1 for AOS received / RFE for AOS receieved

10-03-07 = EAD Card arrived in mail

10-04-07 = Filed for SSN (expect to get the card in mail by 10-18-07)

10-16-07 = SSN card arrived in mail

10-22-07 = AOS files transferred to CSC to speed up processing

11-02-07 = Applied for Indiana State ID (It takes 30-60 days)

11-10-07 = NOA for the Approval of Permanent Residence arrived in mail. No Interview (Thank God at last!)

11-17-07 = I-551 (Conditional Permanent Resident Card) arrived in mail. Praise the Lord!

NEXT STEP:

1.) Remove Conditional Status after 2 yrs. Form I-751

2.) Apply for Citizenship after 3 yrs. Form N-400

PRAISE THE LORD FOR ALL HIS BLESSINGS

Timeline

what sealed envelope? im curious..im on a k1 and they didnt give me any sealed envelope just the x ray film and the vaccination worksheet....

Hi Sorry for late reply, I was out of town for a while celebrating our approval. We got the sealed envelope from St. Luke's because her 2nd day of medical was the day before her interview. So St. Luke's didn't have time to mail it to Embassy in time for her interview. I believe that's the reason why they gave us the Sealed Envelope instead. Her medical fell on Holy Week so offices were closed and we had to wait through the holy week for her 2nd day of med.

Thanks Jamsan0717 for posting the review for me.

Arnold & Joan's Timeline

05/28/07 - Applied for Joan's SSN - no problems - got it in mail a few days later

10/--/07 - Found out we sent the papers to wrong office. We've called several times to get this clarified but all got is that we need to WAIT for our papers to be forwarded or returned to us.

10/--/07 - We got our papers back.... ngngngng and re-sent it to the right office

Filed: K-3 Visa Country: Brazil
Timeline
:thumbs::dance: Well done!! Congratulations!! another family reunited!!! :star:

From N.Y. to Salvador, Bahia

Met: July 2004

Married : 2006-08-03

Trips: over 3 trips since we met and spent all 2006 year in Salvador together (work & pleasure related).

Relocated from NY to CA

I-130 Sent : 2006-11-21 CSC

I-130 NOA1 : 2006-11-28

I-130 NOA2: Approval 2007-02-28

I-130 was approved in 99 days.

I-129F Sent : 2006-12-07 - Chicago

I-129F NOA1 : 2006-12-12

I-129F Xfer to CSC on 2007-01-05

I-129F NOA2 : 2007-02-28

I-129F was approved in 83 days.

I-129F NVC forwarded to Rio Consulate: 03-09-07 :)

03-14-07: Rio Rec'd our case

03-19-07: Requested update on our case via email - (note: by this time we have completed the medical exam, police certificates, and all other related docs).

03-20-07: Received an email with an interview date

04-19-07: INTERVIEW DATE - SHE GOT HER VISA!!!

04-24-07: VISA Received (Xpress Mail)

05-24-07: POE - Los Angeles

AOS & EAD

06-19-07: AOS & EAD sent to Chicago

07-12-07: BIO appointment

07-16-07: RFE for AOS

08-27-07: EAD production notice (email notice)

09-04-07: EAD approved (email notice)

09-07-07: EAD CARD received!!!

09-11-07: SSN card application

11-08-07: AOS Initial Interview - Approved for Conditional (2years) Green Card!!

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline
what sealed envelope? im curious..im on a k1 and they didnt give me any sealed envelope just the x ray film and the vaccination worksheet....qoute]

[qoute Hi Sorry for late reply, I was out of town for a while celebrating our approval. We got the sealed envelope from St. Luke's because her 2nd day of medical was the day before her interview. So St. Luke's didn't have time to mail it to Embassy in time for her interview. I believe that's the reason why they gave us the Sealed Envelope instead. Her medical fell on Holy Week so offices were closed and we had to wait through the holy week for her 2nd day of med.

Thanks Jamsan0717 for posting the review for me.

Oh!, I see. I was wondering also about that sealed envelope. When I had my medical exam, the releasing person told me that the results will be forwarded to the embassy and that includes my passport. What I have are the x-ray film, the vaccination result and my receipt. X-ray film is to be brought with me to the USA.

Edited by lirachadsbaby

Timeline
Oh!, I see. I was wondering also about that sealed envelope. When I had my medical exam, the releasing person told me that the results will be forwarded to the embassy and that includes my passport. What I have are the x-ray film, the vaccination result and my receipt. X-ray film is to be brought with me to the USA.

BTW - and if anyone here is US already please correct me - You also don't need to show your X-Ray film when you arrive at Immigrations in the POE. Some people would hand carry their x-ray films thinking it would be presented at POE. Not so. It's just a medical record and of course you need to have it with you for your records that you U.S. doctor would need. I remember my parents said that they hand carried it with them (I pettiioned them years back) and they didn't need to. Again, it's just a hassle to be hand carrying that thing on the plane.

Arnold & Joan's Timeline

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.