wimpog

K1 Visa Adjustment of Status Interpreter, Preparer

18 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, wimpog said:

Any hints that might increase my chances to waive the interview?

Nobody can tell you this with any certainty because there is no magic formula. 

Why are you so concerned with the interview?  If you are a real couple, there won't be any issue.  If it is a sham marriage (I'm not implying that it is), then you should worry.

As for form preparer, I think they mean paid preparer, like when you file tax return.  If you help your wife fill out the forms, which I did for mine, no need to write your name.  Translator?  You can accompany your wife and if they need help translating, they will let you know. 

Edited by Eric-Pris

Just now, Eric-Pris said:

Nobody can tell you this with any certainty because there is no magic formula. 

Why are you so concerned with the interview?  If you are a real couple, there won't be any issue.  If it is a sham marriage (I'm not implying that it is), then you should worry.

I'm not concerned with the interview. It is just less hassle when it is waived. I'd need to take time off from work, drive to the place where it is held, etc.

• 1 year later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I was looking for some clarification on another issue and came across this thread and wanted to chime in with my own experience, because it differs from others. My wife is colombian, and when she went for her interview she didn't speak much english. My spanish at the time was mediocre. We didn't bring a translator because we thought we could just hack our way through it. Absolutely not allowed. They want to have each question asked in perfect spanish (in this case) so they get an accurate answer. In retrospect, that makes complete sense and I should have known better. So the interviewer shut down our interview immediately. I was told they never reschedule, but for some reason they did. I was so worried. the next time we assumed that there would be a translator there for us (the first time the interviewer said "there's no one here today that can translate for you", which I took as "usually there is someone, but not today). Second mistake. They don't provide translators. And I should also mention that the person who was doing the interview was fluent in Spanish, but she wasn't about to be the translator, because that's not what she's supposed to be doing. Second interview canceled immediately. Because someone loves us up there, we were granted our request for another interview, brought a translator, and we passed. My advice is not to take anything lightly or for granted, or better yet, put as much care into it as this person is to you. I hope it all works well for all who are sincerely trying to create a better world. thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.