ceriserose

Tools for negotiating a job...

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been presented with an opportunity at my current job to move into something different. It's as yet undefined totally and I've been told to figure out what it might look like. Along with that, I'd like to look at compensation based on the role changes.

Having never negotiated like this before, I'm looking for some tools to help. Anyone here care to share links or advice? Much appreciated. :)

Electricity is really just organized lightning.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Australia
Timeline
I have been presented with an opportunity at my current job to move into something different. It's as yet undefined totally and I've been told to figure out what it might look like. Along with that, I'd like to look at compensation based on the role changes.

Having never negotiated like this before, I'm looking for some tools to help. Anyone here care to share links or advice? Much appreciated. :)

How in the world can somebody offer you another job, then tell you the other job isn't defined yet and then ask you to define it? That makes no sense to me.

Even if it did make sense, I'd never go for it. I like to know what I'm going to be doing in full detail, otherwise I'd never know how much I should be paid for doing it. And jobs that are as well defined as a cloud of vapor usually disappear about as fast as a cloud of vapor.

Timeline

How in the world can somebody offer you another job, then tell you the other job isn't defined yet and then ask you to define it? That makes no sense to me.

Even if it did make sense, I'd never go for it. I like to know what I'm going to be doing in full detail, otherwise I'd never know how much I should be paid for doing it. And jobs that are as well defined as a cloud of vapor usually disappear about as fast as a cloud of vapor.

Well then it's probably a good thing that you aren't the one being offered the opportunity. ;)

I'm looking for HR/business/government stats type stuff. If I were in Canada I'd know where to access it, my only difficulty is not knowing what branch of the government to start with. Anyone?

ceriserose,

I've done what you're describing many times but your description is kind of vague so it is difficult to point you in any one - or even broad direction.

For now - the best resource I can advice is your neighborhood Barnes & Nobles (or similar) large book store - there are absolutely tons of business related books there. It's at least a good place to start - lots of ideas.

Find/figure out what it is you'll be doing first (the 'job', the 'mission')- for the short term, the next year, and what the potential growth of the 'department' may be. In other words...what is the 'big picture'. What's the goal?

Figure out what tools you'll need to accomplish the 'job.' Will you need a desk, an office, a computer, what type of reports will you need to do your job... Who will you report to (very important usually)? Who (if any) will report to you? How will you (or your boss) know if you're actually accomplishing the job?

And so on...

~O

Timeline
ceriserose,

I've done what you're describing many times but your description is kind of vague so it is difficult to point you in any one - or even broad direction.

For now - the best resource I can advice is your neighborhood Barnes & Nobles (or similar) large book store - there are absolutely tons of business related books there. It's at least a good place to start - lots of ideas.

Find/figure out what it is you'll be doing first (the 'job', the 'mission')- for the short term, the next year, and what the potential growth of the 'department' may be. In other words...what is the 'big picture'. What's the goal?

Figure out what tools you'll need to accomplish the 'job.' Will you need a desk, an office, a computer, what type of reports will you need to do your job... Who will you report to (very important usually)? Who (if any) will report to you? How will you (or your boss) know if you're actually accomplishing the job?

And so on...

~O

Thank you for the suggestions. :)

I know my description is vague; it was intentionally so. I know what the need in the company is, and it's about 75% of a full-time job. They've invited me to think of ways to use my existing skills and goals and marry them to what I know are corporate goals to make it a full time position.

Things such as physical location are part of the negotiations, as will, I believe, salary. I know the relative "going rate" for this type of position, but wanted to have stats to back me up. Growth and future are also a consideration and frankly the 'unknown' is the biggest con so far in my musings, then again, it's a very small company and so while there's not as many opportunities for upward movement, there are lots for customizing my job activities. So, I need to get everything into a pro and con list and decide if I even want to attempt this.

I'll check out Barnes and Noble...you never have to ask me twice to head to a bookstore! :lol:

Thanks again!

I don't have any advice to give but wanted to wish you good luck with it all.

It sounds to me like a great opportunity but that's coming from someone stuck in a dead-end job hehe. :D

Oh and ::poke:: :star:

Edit: I think on salary.com you can search for median salaries nationwide for different positions. Other than that and about.com, I didn't find anything when googling.

Edited by RaspberrySwirl

ceriserose,

And so on...

~O

Thank you for the suggestions. :)

I know my description is vague; it was intentionally so. I know what the need in the company is, and it's about 75% of a full-time job. They've invited me to think of ways to use my existing skills and goals and marry them to what I know are corporate goals to make it a full time position.

Things such as physical location are part of the negotiations, as will, I believe, salary. I know the relative "going rate" for this type of position, but wanted to have stats to back me up. Growth and future are also a consideration and frankly the 'unknown' is the biggest con so far in my musings, then again, it's a very small company and so while there's not as many opportunities for upward movement, there are lots for customizing my job activities. So, I need to get everything into a pro and con list and decide if I even want to attempt this.

I'll check out Barnes and Noble...you never have to ask me twice to head to a bookstore! :lol:

Thanks again!

What you suggest is risky.

You develop your own position, the parameters and the focus. You then put a salary figure on it. The one key element out of your immediate control is performance evaluation. If the one conducting evaluation does not understand the scope of the position, yet must evaluate you on your performance, can be a very bad mix.

However, you know the players and their integrity, so proper judgment is deferred. Just some thoughts for you to consider.

Edited by William33

you could also see what is available on the HR website www.SHRM.com

This may give you some of the answers you are looking for as well as salary information.

DCF - London

18 Jul 04 - Police Certificate Requested

19 Jul 04 - I-130 sent

22 Jul 04 - NOA I-130 logged with INS

29 Jul 04 - DS230 sent

29 Jul 04 - Had vaccinations

14 Aug 04 - Police Certificate Received

30 Sept 04 - I-130 approved

30 Nov 04 - Received I-864 from co sponsor

04 Dec 04 - Sent DS2001

13 Jan 05 - Interview date 04 Feb 05

04 Feb 05 - VISA APPROVED!!!

08 Feb 05 - Proud owner of IR-1 Visa

09 Jun 05 - Arrived in the USA

24 April 09 - US Citizen

26551rm8.th.jpg

Timeline

Thanks all for the salary links!

As for the job itself, I'm bringing my thoughts and concepts to the table, nothing more, nothing less. I'm not bringing salary to the table, I'm trying to arm myself with information for my own ability to negotiate whatever comes of this discussion. At this point there is no risk, just brainstorming. If I choose not to do this or if the thoughts I have aren't in line with what they feel are priorities, I keep the job I'm in. No worries!

Thanks again!