kaze

About to start K1 Visa Journey, couple questions

24 posts in this topic

Timeline

So currently my fiance is in Hong Kong, I have already moved back to the US for nearly a year, looking for work still did some odd jobs here and there, and living with my parents.

I have a few questions about the K1 Visa.

1) When I first file the I-129F, I do not need to file anything about my current income right? I'm sure my assets in stocks/bonds is enough for a two person household, and I am actively seeking employment, just haven't had too much luck here in Seattle... Can anyone tell me what is actually needed I just keep reading some percentage amount over poverty but what is the numerical value right now? thanks

2) I-134 is only needed for if and when the interview of my Fiance at the consulate in Hong Kong. So if I get a job before the consulate interview it should be fine? I probably need one of my parents as a co-sponsor, play it safe?

3) While filing the I-129F for my Fiance it is only my birth certificate and not her's that is needed?

4) I recently went back to Hong Kong in December and I believe I threw away my boarding passes to get to Hong Kong, but I did keep my return flights from Hong Kong to Seattle. Is that fine? My Fiance also did come to Seattle in October 2016, but I really am not sure if she kept her boarding passes. Are itinerary enough?

5) My fiance's birth certificate is only needed for when k1 is approved, we got married here in the USA and she's filing for AOS and the other forms right?

6) How many pictures/proof of on going relationship do we need? is 20 too many?

7) Also for letter certifying intent to marry, do we each need a letter or do we type/write one letter and both sign it? Also hand written or typed is better?

8) When I do submit our I-129F and G-325A is it better to hand write or type it besides signature? Also I keep the copies and send the originals?

9) Will it also be a problem if I put my parents address as my current address, but if and when I do get a job, move out, but within the same city? (Seattle)

Also on a side note I met my fiance in Hong Kong while I was working over there for the last 6 years, but decided to move back.

I feel like such an idiot for having to ask all these very simple questions. but thanks if anyone takes the time to respond.

Edited by kaze

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

Hi there!

I recommend reading the guides here first. They answer pretty much all your questions.

Step-by-Step Guide on How to File for a K-1

K-1 Visa Example Forms

K1 Fiance Visa Process Flowchart

Good luck!

1. Correct. No financial or income paperwork is necessary for the I-129F petition. The I-134 comes into play at the K-1 visa stage (for the interview). You can qualify either via income (100% of the federal poverty guideline for K-1, 125% for AOS) or assets. For income, here's a chart: http://www.k1approved.com/k1-visa-tips/fiance-visa-income-requirements/. For assets, you need either 1) 3x the income level required for US assets, or 5x the income level required if you include any non-US assets.
  2. Yes, I-134 is only needed for the interview. That said, hoping to get a job is a bit risky. Furthermore, they will want evidence of your income, so just a paycheck or two may not be sufficient for what the CO is looking for. The CO takes into account the totality of your situation to determine the risk of the beneficiary becoming a public charge. Somebody without evidence to prove "stable" income may still not be sufficient for the CO and therefore require a joint sponsor. In your particular case, having a joint sponsor would be beneficial.
  3. Yes, only your BC (or other proof of citizenship) is needed. The I-129F is the petition's form to essentially prove that they qualify.
  4. I would suggest including itineraries, copies of passport stamps, invoices/receipts, etc. Photos together are also good, but are secondary evidence. A list of documents and good forms of evidence is in the guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide
  5. Yes, her BC will be needed for AOS (after marriage in the US).
  6. There is no set number. Technically just one good, verifiable item is sufficient. That said, most people provide a number of items along with several photos. I included 6 photos myself (plus other evidence as noted above). Again, photos are secondary evidence. Does the 20th photo add any value over the other 19 before it? Some people would include it and others might not.. I personally think 20 is overkill, but it's not unreasonable either (people have sent many, many more). They're just looking to see if you met at least once in the past 2 years. unless front loading your petition (which I don't believe is necessary for HK), evidence of an ongoing relationship is best suited for the interview.
  7. Two separate letters is recommended. You each sign your own letter. It can be typed or handwritten (most people type nowadays!). Neither one is "better" IMHO. Your beneficiary can sign the letter, scan it, and send it to you - a true "wet" signature is not actually needed for the letter of intent to marry for G-325A.
  8. You must sign your I-129F, G-325A, and letter of intent to marry. Legally, a digital signature should be acceptable, but I wouldn't risk having to fight over that. It's just not something worth fighting over. :) Just sign by hand and there won't be anything to worry about. You should send the original I-129F, G-325A, letter of intent to marry, and G-1145 (if provided). Other documents can be copies/prints. It is recommended to make a copy of everything you send so that you can either provide it in the event of an RFE (i.e. if it got lost by USCIS), or send to your fiance to take with her on the interview in case they request it there (again, if lost or something).
  9. You must fill in all forms with correct data as of the date you file. So for current address, put your current address right now. For mailing address on the I-129F, you can put any address where you can receive mail. If you move and want to update your address, USCIS has a form on their website, or you can call them.

No problem. Congrats and good luck!

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
5 minutes ago, geowrian said:
  1. Correct. No financial or income paperwork is necessary for the I-129F petition. The I-134 comes into play at the K-1 visa stage (for the interview). You can qualify either via income (100% of the federal poverty guideline for K-1, 125% for AOS) or assets. For income, here's a chart: http://www.k1approved.com/k1-visa-tips/fiance-visa-income-requirements/. For assets, you need either 1) 3x the income level required for US assets, or 5x the income level required if you include any non-US assets.
  2. Yes, I-134 is only needed for the interview. That said, hoping to get a job is a bit risky. Furthermore, they will want evidence of your income, so just a paycheck or two may not be sufficient for what the CO is looking for. The CO takes into account the totality of your situation to determine the risk of the beneficiary becoming a public charge. Somebody without evidence to prove "stable" income may still not be sufficient for the CO and therefore require a joint sponsor. In your particular case, having a joint sponsor would be beneficial.
  3. Yes, only your BC (or other proof of citizenship) is needed. The I-129F is the petition's form to essentially prove that they qualify.
  4. I would suggest including itineraries, copies of passport stamps, invoices/receipts, etc. Photos together are also good, but are secondary evidence. A list of documents and good forms of evidence is in the guide: http://www.visajourney.com/content/k1guide
  5. Yes, her BC will be needed for AOS (after marriage in the US).
  6. There is no set number. Technically just one good, verifiable item is sufficient. That said, most people provide a number of items along with several photos. I included 6 photos myself (plus other evidence as noted above). Again, photos are secondary evidence. Does the 20th photo add any value over the other 19 before it? Some people would include it and others might not.. I personally think 20 is overkill, but it's not unreasonable either (people have sent many, many more). They're just looking to see if you met at least once in the past 2 years. unless front loading your petition (which I don't believe is necessary for HK), evidence of an ongoing relationship is best suited for the interview.
  7. Two separate letters is recommended. You each sign your own letter. It can be typed or handwritten (most people type nowadays!). Neither one is "better" IMHO. Your beneficiary can sign the letter, scan it, and send it to you - a true "wet" signature is not actually needed for the letter of intent to marry for G-325A.
  8. You must sign your I-129F, G-325A, and letter of intent to marry. Legally, a digital signature should be acceptable, but I wouldn't risk having to fight over that. It's just not something worth fighting over. :) Just sign by hand and there won't be anything to worry about. You should send the original I-129F, G-325A, letter of intent to marry, and G-1145 (if provided). Other documents can be copies/prints. It is recommended to make a copy of everything you send so that you can either provide it in the event of an RFE (i.e. if it got lost by USCIS), or send to your fiance to take with her on the interview in case they request it there (again, if lost or something).
  9. You must fill in all forms with correct data as of the date you file. So for current address, put your current address right now. For mailing address on the I-129F, you can put any address where you can receive mail. If you move and want to update your address, USCIS has a form on their website, or you can call them.

No problem. Congrats and good luck!

Thanks so much G1145 is only if I want to apply to receive electronic notifications, theres no pros/cons other than that right?

Just now, kaze said:

Thanks so much G1145 is only if I want to apply to receive electronic notifications, theres no pros/cons other than that right?

Correct. There's no reason not to include it, but it's optional.

Also, include a cover letter to make it easy for them to see what's included. Sign the cover letter (only you need to).

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

Timeline
On 2/20/2017 at 7:59 PM, geowrian said:

Correct. There's no reason not to include it, but it's optional.

Also, include a cover letter to make it easy for them to see what's included. Sign the cover letter (only you need to).

Thanks again,

I am looking at the USCIS Example Froms under K1 Visa and I see two additional forms DS 160 and DS 230, are those needed?

Also the request of provisional file is also needed after an interview is scheduled?

thanks

4 minutes ago, kaze said:

Thanks again,

I am looking at the USCIS Example Froms under K1 Visa and I see two additional forms DS 160 and DS 230, are those needed?

Also the request of provisional file is also needed after an interview is scheduled?

thanks

Those are digital forms to be completed by your fiance to apply for the K-1 visa (after the I-129F is approved). The DS-160 is for non-immigrant visas (K-1 is technically non-immigrant), so that's the one they would use. The DS-230 is for immigrant visas, so that won't come into play.

I'm not sure what you mean for "provisional file"....?

Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
1 minute ago, geowrian said:

Those are digital forms to be completed by your fiance to apply for the K-1 visa (after the I-129F is approved). The DS-160 is for non-immigrant visas (K-1 is technically non-immigrant), so that's the one they would use. The DS-230 is for immigrant visas, so that won't come into play.

I'm not sure what you mean for "provisional file"....?

I was looking at this link

http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples/

the third word doc under k1 visa is provisional file.

If she already has a B1/B2 visa she will still need to do the DS160 after approval of I-129F?

2 minutes ago, kaze said:

I was looking at this link

http://www.visajourney.com/content/examples/

the third word doc under k1 visa is provisional file.

If she already has a B1/B2 visa she will still need to do the DS160 after approval of I-129F?

Ah, okay. That's optional...and to be honest, I've I don't know of anybody that ever actually used it. haha Sorry but I don't have any additional information on that, other than most people do not include it.

Yes, a new DS-160 will be needed for a K-1 visa.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Timeline
Just now, geowrian said:

Ah, okay. That's optional...and to be honest, I've I don't know of anybody that ever actually used it. haha Sorry but I don't have any additional information on that, other than most people do not include it.

Ok great thanks.

Timeline
19 hours ago, geowrian said:

Hi sorry to bother you again or if anyone else replies. But I would like to know when in the process the Police Certificate is needed?

Also some other questions if possible to answer.

1) My fiance's address in Hong Kong is a little long to type on the G 325A form, is it ok to print it out and hand write that, while most of all the other information is typed out?

2) In G325A under the section for 'Applicant's Last Address outside the United States of more than 1 year.' how do we indicate the To Month/Year if it is still presently residing there? do we type in 'Present' or do 02/2017?

3) By the way does anyone know if for Hong Kong people, for country do we enter Hong Kong, or China?

4) For people with Chinese names that are 'romanized' How do you enter their name? Example name of Bruce Lee's Chinese name is Lee(family) Jun Fan (given) does Jun Fan just go into 'given' with a space? or is it Jun(given) Fan(middle)?

5) Does anyone have any experience entering in Hong Kong addresses? there is no state or province and literally the whole city is really Hong Kong, but there are so many districts. Example address.

Housing Department Lam Tin Estate Office

G/F, Lam Tai House, Lam Tin Estate, Lam Tin

Kowloon

Would any of you know how to enter that into the address slots that G325A and I129F provide?

6) for City and Country of Residence, would it be Hong Kong, Hong Kong or Hong Kong, China?

thanks

12 minutes ago, kaze said:

Hi sorry to bother you again or if anyone else replies. But I would like to know when in the process the Police Certificate is needed?

Also some other questions if possible to answer.

1) My fiance's address in Hong Kong is a little long to type on the G 325A form, is it ok to print it out and hand write that, while most of all the other information is typed out?

2) In G325A under the section for 'Applicant's Last Address outside the United States of more than 1 year.' how do we indicate the To Month/Year if it is still presently residing there? do we type in 'Present' or do 02/2017?

3) By the way does anyone know if for Hong Kong people, for country do we enter Hong Kong, or China?

4) For people with Chinese names that are 'romanized' How do you enter their name? Example name of Bruce Lee's Chinese name is Lee(family) Jun Fan (given) does Jun Fan just go into 'given' with a space? or is it Jun(given) Fan(middle)?

5) Does anyone have any experience entering in Hong Kong addresses? there is no state or province and literally the whole city is really Hong Kong, but there are so many districts. Example address.

Housing Department Lam Tin Estate Office

G/F, Lam Tai House, Lam Tin Estate, Lam Tin

Kowloon

Would any of you know how to enter that into the address slots that G325A and I129F provide?

6) for City and Country of Residence, would it be Hong Kong, Hong Kong or Hong Kong, China?

thanks

The police certificates will be also needed for the K-1 visa process, not the I-129F.

1. Yes. Alternatively, you can put "See addendum xyz" and include the information on a new sheet. Be sure to sign the addendum.
  2. I can't speak for others, but my fiance listed her current residence in the first section, where the "Present Time" field is already filled in on the form.
  3. Sorry, I will defer to others here.
  4. In your example, I would say put "Jun Fan" as the given name, and Lee as the family name.
  5. Sorry, defer again.
  6. Defer.

You may want to start a new thread in the Hong Kong embassy section for those questions I deferred to above. Hopefully that will get it in front of somebody that can give you more specific answers. Good luck.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

AOS:

Spoiler

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

NVC

K-1

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

#kaze Check out this video I made I think it has some helpful info for you. Actually two of the three websites I cite in it I think will help you a lot. Watch till the end because I show pics of the website that will answer a lot of your questions. Some of it is Philippines specific but the majority of it is applicable to any K1. Hope this helps! Take care and good luck on your LDR! 

Timeline
On 2/24/2017 at 10:56 PM, jlods said:

#kaze Check out this video I made I think it has some helpful info for you. Actually two of the three websites I cite in it I think will help you a lot. Watch till the end because I show pics of the website that will answer a lot of your questions. Some of it is Philippines specific but the majority of it is applicable to any K1. Hope this helps! Take care and good luck on your LDR! 

thanks will watch

Timeline
On 2/22/2017 at 8:31 PM, geowrian said:

The police certificates will be also needed for the K-1 visa process, not the I-129F.

1. Yes. Alternatively, you can put "See addendum xyz" and include the information on a new sheet. Be sure to sign the addendum.
  2. I can't speak for others, but my fiance listed her current residence in the first section, where the "Present Time" field is already filled in on the form.
  3. Sorry, I will defer to others here.
  4. In your example, I would say put "Jun Fan" as the given name, and Lee as the family name.
  5. Sorry, defer again.
  6. Defer.

You may want to start a new thread in the Hong Kong embassy section for those questions I deferred to above. Hopefully that will get it in front of somebody that can give you more specific answers. Good luck.

thanks again, you have been a great help!

just want to confirm 2 more things if I may ask.

Fee for I-129F is USD 535, wish I did this before december... was 340...

Are there any other fees while doing the I-129F and 2x G325A?

Address to send the packet is:

For U.S. Postal Service (USPS):
USCIS
P.O. Box 660151
Dallas, TX 75266

For FedEx, UPS, and DHL deliveries:
USCIS
Attn: I-129F
2501 South State Highway 121 Business
Suite 400
Lewisville, TX 75067

Does anyone know if there is a "preferred" location which maybe faster hah?

Also when addressing the 'Fiance Letter of Intent', which address?

thanks!

Edited by kaze

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.