tds0317

ITIN Coufusion

27 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

HI, was wondering if anyone has some answers re an ITIN.  I pretty much understand the federal process....  you mail your w-7 application with the tax return and a certified copy of the passport from an agent on the IRS site.

I called New York state multiple times and nobody has a clear answer.  You can tell them have no clue as to the correct answer.

Does anyone know how you go about filing state returns if an ITIN number is pending with the IR?.  We live in New York and can't seem to get any type of definite answer.  Can you write in "ITIN pending" for the state where a SS number or ITIN number would go?

Thanks so much for any info!

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Jamaica
Timeline

Hello,

im going thru the same process and also from New York . I have my appointment next week at my local IRS office to drop off my prepared tax return and spouse's w-7 form.  On the tax return in the space for the ss# or ITIN you put "NRA" or non resident alien..once the ITIN is approved by the IRS they will replace those words with the ITIN # they've assigned and thus process your return and issue any refund if necessary. 

Filed: Timeline

Thank you.  If I understand correctly, if you go to one of their offices, you do not have to mail the passport?  They certify it there?

So, "NRA" goes under your spouses SS for the New York State return?

How did you go about doing your state return with no ITIN number as of now?

Edited by tds0317

Timeline

Yes you go to their office and they will certify the passport. You have to make an appointment though no walk in allowed. I went to a tax man for my taxes. He just prepared the papers I will then take it to IRS next week at my appointment. You cannot file electronically without Itin so your taxes have to be done in the paper form. Your tax return have to be submitted at the same time with the w-7 

yes nra goes in place of the itin 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Mexico
Timeline

State returns are not processed the same way.

I always suggest to submit the Federal tax return with the W-7 first. Once you have the ITIN then you can send the State return with the ITIN number.

Maria ~ U.S. Citizen

K-1 & K-2 Process (Completed in 4 mos. 8 days)

1/19/16: I-129F Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight

4/1/16: NOA2 Approval :dancing:

5/17/16: Interview :star: - APPROVED :dance:

5/25/16 Visas in hand! :thumbs: 

8/5/16: Wedding (L)

AOS/EAD/AP Process, K-1 & K-2 (Completed in 4 mos. 15 days)

9/21/16: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

10/24/16: AOS Cases (I-864) RFIE recv'd hardcopy [Day 29]

12/23/16: AOS Case Status Updates - Interview Scheduled, text recv'd [Day 94] :dancing:

1/17/17: EAD/AP Combo Card recv'd via USPS Priority Mail [Day 119]

1/27/17: AOS Interview :star: - APPROVED!! :dance:  [Day 129 / 120 w/ 9day RFIE delay]

1/27/17: AOS Case status update - Approved | 1/31/17: New Card in Production | 2/1/17: Card Was Mailed

2/4/17: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:

ROC Process, Spouse & 2 Step-Sons (Completed in 23 mos. 22 days)

1/25/19: Package recv'd by USCIS via FedEx overnight [Day 1]

1/29/19: NOA notice date, text & email recv'd, routed to CSC

2/1/19: NOA 18mo. Extension Letter arrived in the mail, for wife only [Day 7]

3/13/19: Filed SR for non-receipt of NOA for I-751A dependents [Day 48] | 3/21/19: Recv'd NOA for 2 stepsons [Day 56]

4/29/19: Biometrics (Scheduled) Appt Completed [Day 95]

8/28/20: Case Status Update - RFE [Day 582 ~ 19 mos. 4 days] | 11/20/20: Case Status Update - RFE response recv'd [Day 666 ~ 21 mos. 27 days]

1/7/21: Case Status Update - New Card in Production :dance: [Day 714 ~ 23 mos. 14 days] 

1/15/21: Green Cards Arrived :thumbs:[Day 722 ~ 23 mos. 22 days]

All done for now! :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline

We did out taxes last year together with ITIN application... we never put NRA on the form but rather left it blank. We filed state return as well since we were close to deadline date and i think we put on state form : itin applied for. As soon as we received my ITIN we forwarded it to state and they proceeded tax refund.

Edited by Gitana

• 2 weeks later...
Filed: F-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
On 2/12/2017 at 8:40 AM, Gitana said:

We applied for ITIN late, i think end of march,around 20th and ITIN came back 30th April

So it took a month for your ITIN to get back?

• 2 weeks later...
Timeline

Submitted W-7 with my federal return on 2/14/17 was received by IRS on 2/17/17. I called this morning 3/8/17 and was told it was approved today and ITIN # generated and mailed out. Was told to wait 7-15 days for ITIN # and letter in mail. So glad that's over I can do my state returns in time??

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: France
Timeline
23 minutes ago, Leo & Angie said:

Submitted W-7 with my federal return on 2/14/17 was received by IRS on 2/17/17. I called this morning 3/8/17 and was told it was approved today and ITIN # generated and mailed out. Was told to wait 7-15 days for ITIN # and letter in mail. So glad that's over I can do my state returns in time??

Awesome!! Sent mine out the same day. What number did you call to get an update?

Timeline
15 minutes ago, Mthldou said:

Awesome!! Sent mine out the same day. What number did you call to get an update?

I called 800-829-1040...good luck 

Timeline
Just now, Mthldou said:

I did too but I couldn't find the ITIN status check :( 

When I call I choose I choose the option for personal tax return info then I press 0 until it says it doesn't recognize my option and to hold for an operator. When the operator comes on tell them you need to speak to someone about the W-7 you submitted they should say hold on for transfer to accounting department.  once someone from accounts came online I told them they needed my hubby on the line since it's his W-7 but all she ask was name country of citizenship and documents we sent which was birth certificate and DL (all foreign) then she said it was approved today 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.