1,798 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-5 Country: India
Timeline
12 hours ago, Charro said:

@BarneySK and @Private One 

Found this on a website  (www.lawqa.com ) where people can ask legal questions. Someone asked:

"I did not register for selective service,can I still apply for citizenship? I am now 35 years old" 
And these were some of the answers from two lawyers :

"You should be able to apply for naturalization with no problem. Normally, not registering for selective service between the age of 18 to 26 is considered bad moral character and would prevent a person from qualifying for naturalization. Because you are over the age of 31 (five years after your 26 birthday) you are passed the 5 year look back period and you can apply for citizenship without the non-registration causing a finding of bad moral character."

AND THIS:

"You are required to apply for selective service between the ages of 18 and 26 are required to register for selective service. Failure to register for selective service is considered by USCIS to be a bar to good moral character if an individual knowingly fails to register. However, the requirement for good moral character is five years prior to the application. Since you are now 35 years old, it has been 9 years since you were required to register and your failure to do so is outside the 5 year period during which you must establish good moral character. For that reason, it will not be a bar to naturalization for you and you can apply for citizenship if you meet the other requirements."

Hope this helps. 

hey how did your interview went? Please post the experience.

On 6/18/2017 at 10:19 PM, Charro said:

Hi @Lela37 I mailed my application 2-7-2017 and I got notification from USCIS that my application was received on 2-16-2017. I did early walk in biometrics too. Like a week earlier I think from my actual appt date. Hope this helps. 

Omg I have been trying to post this for the last hour or more! We aren't home and the service is spotty and I keep accidentally deleting what I typed. 🙄🙈

Sorry this is late,yesterday was interview day and it was a very crazy busy day as I had so many things to do around the interview time. But here it is. It is long! 😁

Interview done Thursday July 20th with lovely female officer. Got there 2 hours early. Had lunch at McDonald's, then went into uscis office ( 26 federal plaza). Went in around 1:30. Appt was at 2:35. I actually went in early for a few reasons , to get to a bathroom , to find somewhere to charge my phone and to get somewhere that's cool. 😁 It was so hot yesterday and I didn't dress with that in mind. 🙄 Went through security easily and once I got to the actual room there was hardly anyone there. Maybe 15-20 people. I got checked in and was told to go to door 2 to wait to hear my number. Hunted for an outlet to charge my phone and finished up going over the civic test questions while watching / listening to the OJ Simpson parole hearing. Couldn't understand why that was even televised. Anyway it helped keep my mind off things a bit. I got called in around 2:10 and was a tad flustered as I wasn't expecting to be called in so early plus I was caught up with OJ. 😁
Officer brought me in had me swear in and asked for my GC, state ID and all passports. Once all was verified, she went straight to the application. She went over the application line by line, page by page. Every question is read to you to comfirm that all was true .And it was done pretty quickly too. If English isn't your first language and you still have a hard time with understanding English this format / quick pace may be a problem.  I was nervous initially but she was such a sweet easy going person that that feeling dissipated very quickly. 
As she read through the questions she would mark off in red if what you said was in agreement with what was on the application. Once we got to " detained , cited ..." I paused and told her I marked no but could have been wrong as I had a ticket for not stopping at one of those " after stop , you can make right on red signs" near our apartment. She changed  my "No" answer to red " Yes" and asked when it occurred. I only had a vague idea as to when as it was maybe 13 years ago. She wanted to know the date. If I went to court . She needed some kind of date to put on the application. So she asked if I remembered if it was hot or cold day etc.  , how much was ticket. I asked if the ticket was a problem she said "no not with them. " 🤔Not sure what that meant. Had to read something then write. I think the statement was. "Canada is north of United States. "  Again if you do not comprehend or read English this part can also be a problem. She said "on line #2 please write ...."  And the paper has three spaces numbered 1-3. So it is very important that the applicant comprehends English. And also knows how to read well and follow instructions. Once that was finished , we went through the civic questions . Passed the first 6. She did ask for passport pics. Luckily I had them. They were not good pics. 🙈The ones they took at biometrics were even worse. She showed me  🙈🙈 She said they would use those and would only use the ones I brought in if the biometric pics didn't print. She said I passed and handed me a paper and was asked to follow her out so that she could make copies of my passport. I have a new one since getting my green card. She also got a copy of my birth certificate. I wasn't going to bring that but decided to do so as I remembered that the one they originally had was an old one. My country just recently generated new birth certificates for their citizens. I then noticed on the paper that it said you passed but decision can't be made. I asked if that was an issue she said no. She said "you passed. You are approved. " She said they can't make outright approvals unless certain criteria are met , e.g. Pregnant applicant. Students. I truly didn't understand what she was saying and she must have sensed my slight deflation and confusion as she quickly said " don't worry you are approved. " 
She said the oath letter will be mailed and the ceremony should be next month in Brooklyn at Cadman plaza. 
The take away from my interview :
list your traffic violations on your application as they are citations and if you didn't , remember to bring it up during the interview and bring your driving record. Bring passport pics.
The interview seems to be a formality as it seemed like they review your case and decide either to deny or approve before you even get there. The interview is most likely to ascertain if all is indeed true and correct. And the interview isn't as bad as you might think. 
Good luck to all! 

Edited by Charro
Grammar error

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: India
Timeline
15 hours ago, Charro said:

Found this on a website  (www.lawqa.com ) where people can ask legal questions. Someone asked:

"I did not register for selective service,can I still apply for citizenship? I am now 35 years old" 

"You should be able to apply for naturalization with no problem. Normally, not registering for selective service between the age of 18 to 26 is considered bad moral character and would prevent a person from qualifying for naturalization. Because you are over the age of 31 (five years after your 26 birthday) you are passed the 5 year look back period and you can apply for citizenship without the non-registration causing a finding of bad moral character."

AND THIS:

"You are required to apply for selective service between the ages of 18 and 26 are required to register for selective service. Failure to register for selective service is considered by USCIS to be a bar to good moral character if an individual knowingly fails to register. However, the requirement for good moral character is five years prior to the application. Since you are now 35 years old, it has been 9 years since you were required to register and your failure to do so is outside the 5 year period during which you must establish good moral character. For that reason, it will not be a bar to naturalization for you and you can apply for citizenship if you meet the other requirements."

Hope this helps. 

Thank you Charro. N-400 specifically calls out the exemption in case of non-immigrant visa, which is what I had between those years.

Timeline
28 minutes ago, Charro said:

Omg I have been trying to post this for the last hour or more! We aren't home and the service is spotty and I keep accidentally deleting what I typed. 🙄🙈

Sorry this is late,yesterday was interview day and it was a very crazy busy day as I had so many things to do around the interview time. But here it is. It is long! 😁

Interview done Thursday July 20th with lovely female officer. Got there 2 hours early. Had lunch at McDonald's, then went into uscis office ( 26 federal plaza). Went in around 1:30. Appt was at 2:35. I actually went in early for a few reasons , to get to a bathroom , to find somewhere to charge my phone and to get somewhere that's cool. 😁 It was so hot yesterday and I didn't dress with that in mind. 🙄 Went through security easily and once I got to the actual room there was hardly anyone there. Maybe 15-20 people. I got checked in and was told to go to door 2 to wait to hear my number. Hunted for an outlet to charge my phone and finished up going over the civic test questions while watching / listening to the OJ Simpson parole hearing. Couldn't understand why that was even televised. Anyway it helped keep my mind off things a bit. I got called in around 2:10 and was a tad flustered as I wasn't expecting to be called in so early plus I was caught up with OJ. 😁
Officer brought me in had me swear in and asked for my GC, state ID and all passports. Once all was verified, she went straight to the application. She went over the application line by line, page by page. Every question is read to you to comfirm that all was true .And it was done pretty quickly too. If English isn't your first language and you still have a hard time with understanding English this format / quick pace may be a problem.  I was nervous initially but she was such a sweet easy going person that that feeling dissipated very quickly. 
As she read through the questions she would mark off in red if what you said was in agreement with what was on the application. Once we got to " detained , cited ..." I paused and told her I marked no but could have been wrong as I had a ticket for not stopping at one of those " after stop , you can make right on red signs" near our apartment. She changed  my "No" answer to red " Yes" and asked when it occurred. I only had a vague idea as to when as it was maybe 13 years ago. She wanted to know the date. If I went to court . She needed some kind of date to put on the application. So she asked if I remembered if it was hot or cold day etc.  , how much was ticket. I asked if the ticket was a problem she said "no not with them. " 🤔Not sure what that meant. Had to read something then write. I think the statement was. "Canada is north of United States. "  Again if you do not comprehend or read English this part can also be a problem. She said "on line #2 please write ...."  And the paper has three spaces numbered 1-3. So it is very important that the applicant comprehends English. And also knows how to read well and follow instructions. Once that was finished , we went through the civic questions . Passed the first 6. She did ask for passport pics. Luckily I had them. They were not good pics. 🙈The ones they took at biometrics were even worse. She showed me  🙈🙈 She said they would use those and would only use the ones I brought in if the biometric pics didn't print. She said I passed and handed me a paper and was asked to follow her out so that she could make copies of my passport. I have a new one since getting my green card. She also got a copy of my birth certificate. I wasn't going to bring that but decided to do so as I remembered that the one they originally had was an old one. My country just recently generated new birth certificates for their citizens. I then noticed on the paper that it said you passed but decision can't be made. I asked if that was an issue she said no. She said "you passed. You are approved. " She said they can't make outright approvals unless certain criteria are met , e.g. Pregnant applicant. Students. I truly didn't understand what she was saying and she must have sensed my slight deflation and confusion as she quickly said " don't worry you are approved. " 
She said the oath letter will be mailed and the ceremony should be next month in Brooklyn at Cadman plaza. 
list your traffic violations on your application as they are citations and if you didn't , remember to bring it up during the interview and bring your driving record. Bring passport pics.
The interview seems to be a formality as it seemed like they review your case and decide either to deny or approve before you even get there. The interview is most likely to ascertain if all is indeed true and correct. And the interview isn't as bad as you might think. 
Good luck to all! 

Congratulations! You must be relieved. Did they give an ETA on the oath?

Also, how many passport size photos did the IO ask for?

Edited by BarneySK

Timeline
40 minutes ago, Charro said:

Good luck to all! 

Congratulations!!!!

19 minutes ago, BarneySK said:

Congratulations!

Real quick - how many passport size photos did the IO ask for?

2 passport pics.

Yes I was really surprised how fast it was. When she asked me to follow her to make copies of my passport I asked if I should leave my bags in her office ,she said " no bring your things with you" And it was then I realized " wait a minute we are done?! "And yup we were indeed done. 

And also I must say how really pleasant and sweet everyone was there that day. 

Edited by Charro
Grammar.

10 minutes ago, iamwhatiam80 said:

Congratulations!!!!

10 minutes ago, iamwhatiam80 said:

Congratulations!!!!

@iamwhatiam80 @BarneySK Thanks and yes def relieved that part is over. 

Timeline
7 minutes ago, Charro said:

2 passport pics.

Yes I was really surprised how fast it was. When she asked me to follow her to make copies of my passport I asked if I should leave my bags in her office ,she said " no bring your things with you" And it was then I realized " wait a minute we are done?! "And yup we were indeed done. 

You sure you were in NYC ? :)

On 7/21/2017 at 0:02 AM, Charro said:

AND THIS:

Hope this helps. 

Charro,

I'm aware it's possible for someone who failed to register to be naturalized. However, if USCIS finds out Barney was required to register and he doesn't have a status letter from the selective service along with a good explanation of why he failed to register, his application will be denied. Coming to the US on a non-immigrant visa exempts you only if you maintain the that status till the age of 26.

About what I said regarding a lifetime bar from naturalization: I'm not saying Barney falls in the lifetime bar category if he was supposed to register and didn't but some people's reason for not registering gets them a lifetime bar because their positions never changes or USCIS don't buy into their pretense when they try to convince USCIS of their new position.

17 hours ago, BarneySK said:

Thank you Charro. N-400 specifically calls out the exemption in case of non-immigrant visa, which is what I had between those years.

N-400 calls out exemption for "lawful nonimmigrants". If you did not maintain non-immigrant status up until your 26 birthday you were required to register 30 days after falling out of lawful non-immigrant status.

NON-CITIZENS

With very few exceptions, all males between ages 18 and 25 must register with the Selective Service System (SSS) within 30 days of arriving in the United States. This includes U.S. born and naturalized citizens, parolees, undocumented immigrants, legal permanent residents, asylum seekers, refugees, and all males with visas of any kind which expired more than 30 days ago. The few individuals who are exempt from this requirement are those on current non-immigrant visashttps://www.sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration

Barney, 

I'm only trying to help you. If you fell out of non-immigrant status before turning 26 you need to get a status letter from the selective service to take to the interview. You should also have a good explanation of why you did not register. A simple explanation might be enough if the selective service never sent you a letter notifying you of this requirement. If they sent you a letter things will be more complicated. If you fell out of non-immigrant status before turning 26 it's better to go prepared.

Good Luck...

Edited by Private One

AOS (I-485) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

March.....17, 2014..........Package Mailed

March.....20, 2014..........Package Received

April........25, 2014..........Biometrics Taken

June.........7, 2014..........Received EAD (mailbox)

June.......10, 2014..........Interview at Federal Plaza, NYC (hellish experience but approved on the spot)

June.......16, 2014..........Received GC (mailbox)

ROC (I-751) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

April.......23, 2016...........Package Mailed

April.......26, 2016...........Package Accepted (NOA Receipt Letter - Conditional Status Extended)

June......10, 2016...........Biometrics Taken

April.........8, 2017...........Conditions Lifted (Application Approved)

April......14, 2017............Approval Letter Received (USPS Stamp Dated April 11, 2017)

May.........1, 2017............Received 10 yr GC (mailbox)

Naturalization (N-400) - National Benefits Center | NYC Field Office (3 year Rule)

April....17, 2017.............Package Mailed

April....19, 2017.............Package Received 

May.....19, 2017.............Biometrics Taken

May.....26, 2017.............In Line for Interview

Sep.....12, 2017.............Interview at Federal Plaza (Recommended)

Sep.....27, 2017.............Oath Ceremony (Federal Plaza) - My journey has ended. Will be starting the AOS process for my mom soon. Another chapter will be written.

US Passport & Card: 2017 Applicants
======================================
==================================================
UserName......|Expedited|Sent....|CheckCash|TrackDate|PASSPORT|PPT-CARD|NAT CERT|Location

Private One...|No.......|09/30/17|10/04/17.|10/04/17.|10/14/17|No......|10/13/17|New York, NY

Timeline
On 7/22/2017 at 8:26 AM, Private One said:

Charro,

I'm aware it's possible for someone who failed to register to be naturalized. However, if USCIS finds out Barney was required to register and he doesn't have a status letter from the selective service along with a good explanation of why he failed to register, his application will be denied. Coming to the US on a non-immigrant visa exempts you only if you maintain the that status till the age of 26.

About what I said regarding a lifetime bar from naturalization: I'm not saying Barney falls in the lifetime bar category if he was supposed to register and didn't but some people's reason for not registering gets them a lifetime bar because their positions never changes or USCIS don't buy into their pretense when they try to convince USCIS of their new position.

N-400 calls out exemption for "lawful nonimmigrants". If you did not maintain non-immigrant status up until your 26 birthday you were required to register 30 days after falling out of lawful non-immigrant status.

NON-CITIZENS

With very few exceptions, all males between ages 18 and 25 must register with the Selective Service System (SSS) within 30 days of arriving in the United States. This includes U.S. born and naturalized citizens, parolees, undocumented immigrants, legal permanent residents, asylum seekers, refugees, and all males with visas of any kind which expired more than 30 days ago. The few individuals who are exempt from this requirement are those on current non-immigrant visashttps://www.sss.gov/Registration-Info/Who-Registration

Barney, 

I'm only trying to help you. If you fell out of non-immigrant status before turning 26 you need to get a status letter from the selective service to take to the interview. You should also have a good explanation of why you did not register. A simple explanation might be enough if the selective service never sent you a letter notifying you of this requirement. If they sent you a letter things will be more complicated. If you fell out of non-immigrant status before turning 26 it's better to go prepared.

Good Luck...

Totally understand and appreciate. My status changed from non-immigrant to immigrant after I turned 28. So should be good. Fingers crossed. :) 

"A simple explanation might be enough if the selective service never sent you a letter notifying you of this requirement. "

I remember never getting a letter. So should I take a self attested letter saying so? or is a verbal confirmation enough since under oath?

Also, Interview is tomorrow AM. 

Edited by BarneySK

Timeline

Articles on SS for those on the same boat or just good info in general. 

https://citizenpath.com/failing-register-selective-service/

http://www.***removed***/forum/showthread.php/99235-N-400-Selective-service-question

Again, totally depends on your IO (and the percentage of luck) :)  Will have (hopefully good) updates tomo. Now back to some civics questions.

Edited by BarneySK

2 hours ago, BarneySK said:

http://www.***removed***/forum/showthread.php/99235-N-400-Selective-service-question

Again, totally depends on your IO (and the percentage of luck) :)  Will have (hopefully good) updates tomo. Now back to some civics questions.

@BarneySK good luck tomorrow! 👍🏽

2 hours ago, BarneySK said:

@BarneySKthat link from citizen path was very helpful. And agreed I think all should be good for tomorrow. 

Good luck with your interview @BarneySK. Hope the IO doesn't give you a hard time about anything.

AOS (I-485) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

March.....17, 2014..........Package Mailed

March.....20, 2014..........Package Received

April........25, 2014..........Biometrics Taken

June.........7, 2014..........Received EAD (mailbox)

June.......10, 2014..........Interview at Federal Plaza, NYC (hellish experience but approved on the spot)

June.......16, 2014..........Received GC (mailbox)

ROC (I-751) - Vermont Service Center | NYC Field Office

April.......23, 2016...........Package Mailed

April.......26, 2016...........Package Accepted (NOA Receipt Letter - Conditional Status Extended)

June......10, 2016...........Biometrics Taken

April.........8, 2017...........Conditions Lifted (Application Approved)

April......14, 2017............Approval Letter Received (USPS Stamp Dated April 11, 2017)

May.........1, 2017............Received 10 yr GC (mailbox)

Naturalization (N-400) - National Benefits Center | NYC Field Office (3 year Rule)

April....17, 2017.............Package Mailed

April....19, 2017.............Package Received 

May.....19, 2017.............Biometrics Taken

May.....26, 2017.............In Line for Interview

Sep.....12, 2017.............Interview at Federal Plaza (Recommended)

Sep.....27, 2017.............Oath Ceremony (Federal Plaza) - My journey has ended. Will be starting the AOS process for my mom soon. Another chapter will be written.

US Passport & Card: 2017 Applicants
======================================
==================================================
UserName......|Expedited|Sent....|CheckCash|TrackDate|PASSPORT|PPT-CARD|NAT CERT|Location

Private One...|No.......|09/30/17|10/04/17.|10/04/17.|10/14/17|No......|10/13/17|New York, NY

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.