Joja

Claiming Immigration expenses

9 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Morocco
Timeline

Hi Everyone!

It has been a while since I have been on this web site. My fiance, now husband, came to the U.S. in December. In January we were married. In February we filed the I765 and I485 forms with the government. We are now waiting on his employment authorization and change of status to permanent residence. Are there any others out there who are from Indiana and going through the same process? Will it take forever for him to get authorization to work? Also, can we claim the immigration expenses on our taxes next year?? Thanks for any responses that we may have.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
What about the ticket expenses to come to USA ?
Tax deduction for AOS expenses? Yes, that would be nice wouldn't it? Sadly, the answer is no.

...No.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ghana
Timeline

The money you pay for the immigration benefits directly fund the process of bringing refugees to settle in the U.S., I've read and heard from friends who work with refugees. If this really is true it would seem right to make it tax free. But I've never seen anywhere to deduct....

--------------------------

Becoming a U.S. Citizen

2/15/10 Sent N-400 packet via Fedex to Lewisville TX

2/19/10 Received text message and email notification of application received, check cashed

2/27/10 Received biometrics appointment letter

3/19/10 Biometrics appointment

3/25/10 Received email notice that case will be sent for interview scheduling at local office

3/26/10 Received yellow letter asking to being more tax records/info to interview

3/27/10 Received interview letter (dated 3/24/10)

4/28/10 Interview appointment

6/5/10 Received oath letter (dated 6/1/10)

6/29/10 Oath ceremony date

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline
The money you pay for the immigration benefits directly fund the process of bringing refugees to settle in the U.S., I've read and heard from friends who work with refugees. If this really is true it would seem right to make it tax free. But I've never seen anywhere to deduct....

Just curious, once the refugees are here in the U.S. where do they live and work? I feel for the refugees but I'm curious as what they do once they're here? Do we grant them an EAD? Do we put them to work beautifying the environment? How do they earn the money to feed themselves and to house themselves?

I'm not saying this to be mean but I'm one that feels that people need to work for what they have. Free handouts are good only to get one on their feet.

2005-07-20 Sent Xiang first email

2005-11-19 Met Xiang in Nanning

2005-11-25 Asked for Xiang's hand in marriage

2006-02-21 Date I-129F Sent

2006-02-24 Date I-129F NOA1 (Receipt)

2006-03-15 Applied for Emergency Expedite

2006-04-03 Date I-129F NOA2 (Approved)

2006-04-25 Date packet was sent from NVC to Guangzhou, China

2006-07-07 Date Xiang recieved Packet #3 from Guangzhou, China

2006-07-08 Date Xiang sent Packet #3 to the U.S. Consulate

2006-07-27 Date Xiang recieved request for biographical information on our daughter

2006-07-27 Date Xiang sent biographical information to the U.S. Consulate

2006-08-17 Date Xiang sent biographical information to the U.S. Consulate, again!

2006-08-21 Date Xiang called, faxed and mailed the U.S. Consulate the biographical information

2006-08-22 Email from the U.S. Consulate, they FINALLY received the G-325A form for our daughter!

2006-08-22 Waiting patiently for Packet #4 to arrive, bring my soulmate to my open arms!!!

2006-08-25 Packet #4 sent out from the U.S. Consulate, in transit to my baby!!!

2006-08-29 11:25pm Email from the U.S. Consulate, the interview date is October 17th!

2006-09-29 Medical examination for Xiang and our daughter Qi. Interview is just around the corner!

2006-10-16 11:15pm VISA APPROVED!!!!

2006-10-29 Xiang and Qi arrived in Detroit, immigrations 2 1/2 hours, finally holding my sweetheart in my arms.

2006-11-05 Exchanging our vows, what a beautiful day for our wedding!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

A friend of my husbands stated that he was reimbursed from the military as an active duty member to bring his wife to the states.

Feb 25, 2006... Submitted I-129F

Jan 4, 2007... Interview date Visa in Passport

Jan 30,2007... POE Blaine Washington, Pacific Truck Crossing

March 8, 2007... Mailed AOS and EAD

May 21, 2007... AOS application APPROVED with interview (Day 67)WOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOO

May 29, 2007... GREEN CARD ARRIVES.. and email from CRIS approval notice sent (Day 75)

Sept 25, 2008... Moved to the UK

Feb 24, 2009... Mailed I-751 to CSC from UK

December 30, 2009... Approval notice!!

Jan 9, 2010... 10 year GREEN CARD arrives.

May 31, 2012... Express Mailed N-400 application to the Nebraska Service Center for military spouses filing overseas

Jun 11, 2012... NOA date and Cheque cashed Day 11

Jun 28, 2012... Placed in line for interview scheduling Day 28

Jul 20, 2012... Email from USCIS London for info to schedule interview Day 50

Sep 1, 2012... Moved back to the USA

Sep 12, 2012... Email from USCIS London scheduled for interview/oath Sept 28th in the UK(will be day 120)

Nov 26, 2012... Had submitted change of addresses. Notification that I have again been scheduled for interview Day 179

Dec 1, 2012... Letter arrived Day 184 with new interview date Jan 4, 2013 (Will be day 218)

event.png

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline
A friend of my husbands stated that he was reimbursed from the military as an active duty member to bring his wife to the states.

That's reimbursement from the military, not claimed on taxes...totally different.

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.