lholitz eric

I- 751pending,traveling with expired gc + letter of extension

12 posts in this topic

Hi you to you all !!!

I am new here and just join the thread.. I  sent my I-751 packet  and received my letter of extension couple of days ago. I was wondering if any of you here have had an experience traveling with expired green card + letter of extension with no problem coming back to US?I am worried that the airline people/check in counter won't let me board the plane because they are unfamiliar with dealing expired green card+ letter of extension. My husband and I will be traveling to the Philippines in May, and we maybe flying with Philippine airlines or korean airlines.. If any of you have experienced, pls enlighten me with this matter.Thanks

Edited by lholitz eric

Wife and I took a trip to the Philippines in November/December 2016.  Left the Philippines 15 December heading back to US.  Wife traveled with expired green card/extension letter/marriage certificate.  We encountered no issues upon leaving Manila/traveling through Japan/and through Houston, Texas.  We flew United and Japan Airlines.  Smooth sailing for us.  Enjoy your trip.     

I've flown to the UK with the letter. No problem leaving. Had to explain to check in staff at airport flying back what document they were looking at and pointed out the extension bit. Arriving in US no problem at all. Take original. Not worth risking it. Also took copy and kept separate. Oh and yes - take expired GC !!!

Richard

event.png

event.png

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Russia
Timeline

Thanks for starting this topic.  The wife is heading back to Russia for a few weeks and her GC will expire while she is abroad.  We already have the extension letter, so I will tell her to make sure she points out the extension letter when she travels back via Beijing.

Safe Travels!

Visa Received : 2014-04-04 (K1 - see timeline for details)

US Entry : 2014-09-12

POE: Detroit

Marriage : 2014-09-27

I-765 Approved: 2015-01-09

I-485 Interview: 2015-03-11

I-485 Approved: 2015-03-13

Green Card Received: 2015-03-24 Yeah!!!

I-751 ROC Submitted: 2016-12-20

I-751 NOA Received:  2016-12-29

I-751 Biometrics Appt.:  2017-01-26

I-751 Interview:  2018-04-10

I-751 Approved:  2018-05-04

N400 Filed:  2018-01-13

N400 Biometrics:  2018-02-22

N400 Interview:  2018-04-10

N400 Approved:  2018-04-10

Oath Ceremony:  2018-06-11 - DONE!!!!!!!

23 hours ago, d&C said:

Wife and I took a trip to the Philippines in November/December 2016.  Left the Philippines 15 December heading back to US.  Wife traveled with expired green card/extension letter/marriage certificate.  We encountered no issues upon leaving Manila/traveling through Japan/and through Houston, Texas.  We flew United and Japan Airlines.  Smooth sailing for us.  Enjoy your trip.     

Can i ask if when is the expiration of your extension letter because i am traveling to the philippines on march 15 and come back here in the US on april 1 and my extension letter will be expire on may 2.Do you think that my letter is still valid and no issue in the immigration.

My wife's extension letter is good until 6 August 2017.

Your extension letter doesn't expire until one month after your return to the US.  Your travel dates are within the 1-year parmeters set forth by USCIS in that extension letter;  so in my opinion you will have no issues with immigration when returning to the US.  

that should read 1-year parameter set by the USCIS in the extension letter.  Also agree with rjm's response, make sure you take the original extension letter not a copy and don't forget to take the expired green card.

Peso rate is near 50p to 1usd.   Happy trip.......

11 hours ago, d&C said:

My wife's extension letter is good until 6 August 2017.

Your extension letter doesn't expire until one month after your return to the US.  Your travel dates are within the 1-year parmeters set forth by USCIS in that extension letter;  so in my opinion you will have no issues with immigration when returning to the US.  

Thank you for your reply..

• 1 month later...
On January 21, 2017 at 7:53 PM, Bill & Katya said:

Thanks for starting this topic.  The wife is heading back to Russia for a few weeks and her GC will expire while she is abroad.  We already have the extension letter, so I will tell her to make sure she points out the extension letter when she travels back via Beijing.

Safe Travels!

Hi! Just wonder, how did it go for you wife? I'm traveling to Russia soon with the same situation, a little worried if people from aeriflot( Russian airlines) aware of such extention letter 

• 5 months later...
17 minutes ago, Random User said:

can we travel to cancun with an expred green card and i797A? Is there any tourist visa required ?

See the answer here.

US Residents: If your United States visa stamped on your passport already expired but you have an official document proving your legal status in USA, you must apply for a Mexican visa (I-797 A Forms, Advance Parole Forms, I-20, or DS-2019 Forms won’t be accepted to entering Mexico), unless you have a valid Visa for any of the countries listed above (Canada, Japan, United Kingdom or Schengen area).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.