julian david

Staying outside the U.S. for more than 6 months without losing legal residence

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Colombia
Timeline

I arrived to the U.S.in 2011 having a K-1 visa. I obtained my green card in June 2013. I appreciate any information on how I could fill in the documents to be able stay outside the U.S. for more than 6 months without losing my residence. Also, does frequently traveling outside the U.S. affect my possiblity to obtain citizenship?

Thank you

You have two options. Request a reentry permit or wait until you become a citizen. The latter will allow you to be out of the US as long as you want.

“When starting an immigration journey, the best advice is to understand that sacrifices have to be made... whether it is time, money, or separation; or a combination of all.” - Unlockable

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

A Re-Entry Permit would allow you to stay outside the US for up to 2 years.  Only your time outside the US is not counted against you.  You will need to maintain ties to the US.  Google "re-entry permit" and "maintaining legal permanent residency."

Your time outside the US may affect your ability to naturalize.  There is a physical presence in the US requirement.

Timeline
On 9/1/2017 at 7:43 PM, aaron2020 said:

A Re-Entry Permit would allow you to stay outside the US for up to 2 years.  Only your time outside the US is not counted against you.  You will need to maintain ties to the US.  Google "re-entry permit" and "maintaining legal permanent residency."

Your time outside the US may affect your ability to naturalize.  There is a physical presence in the US requirement.

Thank you aaron2020

Thank you for answering my question. Do you have any information about how I could issue that document? For example, costs, and duration of the whole process. Coudl I do it in the embassy of my country?

the cost is about $ 500. You have to apply while you are in the states.

• Fill out the form I131 and follow the requirements 
  • Wait for a bio metric appointment. get it done then leave  
  •  Make sure to send the form to Nebraska Service Center (the fastest process)
  • The process time after the bio metric is around 90 days.
  • In the form, you can ask to ship the re entry permit to your US address or you can pick it up from any US embassy   

Good Luck 

Timeline
On 1/14/2017 at 2:04 PM, mmsk said:

the cost is about $ 500. You have to apply while you are in the states.

• Fill out the form I131 and follow the requirements 
  • Wait for a bio metric appointment. get it done then leave  
  •  Make sure to send the form to Nebraska Service Center (the fastest process)
  • The process time after the bio metric is around 90 days.
  • In the form, you can ask to ship the re entry permit to your US address or you can pick it up from any US embassy   

Good Luck 

Thank you very much for your information. Do you have information on how long the bio metric appointment will take? Also, I can apply for a permit to stay outside the U.S. up to two years correct?

• 3 weeks later...
Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hello. I have the same problem. My lawyer said that if I stay outside the country for 1 yr or more thats the time that I need to apply for re entry permit. In my situation I'll be our for more than 6 months but less than 1 year. Whats the best thing to do? Uscis said that re-entry permit is for someone who will be out of the country for more that 1 yr up to 2yrs. 

• 2 weeks later...

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.