snowcat

USEM K1 Interview - January 2017

34 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Sharing my experience from my interview today!

My interview was scheduled for 6:45AM, I got there around 6:30AM and they were already lining people up to enter. You'll need to show your passport and DS-160 at the entrance outside. They put a barcode on your DS-160 and ask you to line up with everyone else. You basically don't need your appointment confirmation letter - they never asked me for it.

Inside, they first do data entry, where you again, show your passport and DS-160. They just encode your data and ask you to sit down again. Then, you go for a pre-screening interview with a Filipino consul. They ask for the ORIGINAL copies of: Birth Certificate, CENOMAR, and NBI Clearance, along with the brown sealed envelope you got from your medical at SLEC. I unfortunately didn't have an original copy of my birth certificate (forgot to order a new one in time for my interview), so I submitted a photocopy--more on this later. The consul asked me some questions, like how I met my fiance, and when we became an official couple. Also asked about my travel history (it helps if you have gone to the U.S. and other countries before). It was a quick conversation, then I was told to do fingerprint scanning at the next window.

After scanning my fingerprints, I was asked to wait for my interview. I was a nervous wreck the entire time. Even the lady next to me asked if I was feeling jittery because I couldn't stop shaking my leg from anxiety lol. I waited around 30-40 minutes, then I was called to line up behind another applicant who was currently doing her interview. It was a little awkward because you can hear every single word the consul says through their microphones haha. But it at least gave me an idea of the questions they ask. When my turn came, all my nerves seemed to suddenly cooperate with me and I felt less stressed. I gave a cheery "good morning!" to the consul, which he seemed to appreciate. He looked over my files and noted the lack of my original birth certificate - I explained that I had given my last copy to the Japanese Embassy for my recent trip to Japan and forgot to order a new one in time for my interview. He nodded and asked what I did in Japan, and explained that I went on vacation with my fiance and family for New Years, and in fact just got back 2 days ago. Then he asked how I met my fiance, and since I had met him while I was in the U.S. for studies back in 2012, and that we were physically together for 3 years while I was residing there, he didn't have too many follow up questions. Oh, but he did ask what my fiance did for a living. I told him he was a computer programmer in SF and worked at a startup. He had me explain the startup and the website he was working on. He took my word for it and didn't ask for ANY financial proof - I was so ready with bank statements and paystubs and income tax returns, too! He just looked at my photo album and our pictures from my fiance's recent Christmas trip to Manila and our New Year's trip with my family to Japan, and that seemed to be enough proof for him that we were legit. He just ended it with "okay, so, we need your birth certificate." He then handed me brochures on how to register my home address online for visa delivery and what to do in case of domestic violence. Confused, I asked, "uhm, does this mean I'm approved?" He replied, "unless we find something in your birth certificate that we don't like, which I don't think will happen, yes, you're approved." I felt a huge weight lifted off my chest! But still kinda bummed that I didn't remember to order a new birth certificate - would have made things easier for me! 

I was asked to proceed to Releasing, where I waited another 30 minutes. There, the guy told me I needed to submit my original birth certificate (which I already knew), and gave me a 221(g) letter to show and give to 2GO (at any of their branches) along with my birth cert. I asked how long it'll take, and he said it depends on when they receive my birth certificate, but that it shouldn't be more than 2 weeks. I asked if I am able to leave by February (next month), and he asked, "did you want to arrive before Valentine's Day?" and winked haha. I responded with, "you read my mind!" and he laughed, and he said that as long as I'm able to submit my birth certificate by next week, I should be fine. I'm hoping that that's true! 

In total, the entire process took 2.5 hours (6:30AM-9AM). Not as long as I thought it would take, honestly. As long as your relationship is legit, and you have all the documents needed (don't be like me and have all your original NSO docs with you!!!) the interview process is a breeze. :) 

Edited by snowcat

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Congrats on your interview!

Thanks for the review.  Truly appreciate.

Interesting they did not ask for a copy of your appointment confirmation.  Did they ask for your deposit receipt from BPI?   It appears the process is changing once again at USEM... your review is what keeps us informed and up to date with things.   

Not surprised that they didn't ask for support evidence.  Over the past 2 years that has been more and more of a non-item ;)   (still listed but not asked for often)

Maraming Salamat

Edited by Sagot

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Timeline
2 hours ago, Sagot said:

Congrats on your interview!

Thanks for the review.  Truly appreciate.

Interesting they did not ask for a copy of your appointment confirmation.  Did they ask for your deposit receipt from BPI?   It appears the process is changing once again at USEM... your review is what keeps us informed and up to date with things.   

Not surprised that they didn't ask for support evidence.  Over the past 2 years that has been more and more of a non-item ;)   (still listed but not asked for often)

Maraming Salamat

Yeah, when I went for my student visa and tourist visa in the past, they took my appointment confirmation both times. This time, they really couldn't have cared less! I gave it with my DS-160 and passport every time I was asked for documents, but they never even looked at the appointment confirmation and just merely passed it back to me. Might as well not have brought it haha. I also wasn't asked for my deposit receipt. 

I'm really glad it went well and not a lot was asked from me. :) I'm pretty excited, but trying not to celebrate too much yet until I actually have my visa in my hands! Hoping I get my BC real soon.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, snowcat said:

Yeah, when I went for my student visa and tourist visa in the past, they took my appointment confirmation both times. This time, they really couldn't have cared less! I gave it with my DS-160 and passport every time I was asked for documents, but they never even looked at the appointment confirmation and just merely passed it back to me. Might as well not have brought it haha. I also wasn't asked for my deposit receipt. 

I'm really glad it went well and not a lot was asked from me. :) I'm pretty excited, but trying not to celebrate too much yet until I actually have my visa in my hands! Hoping I get my BC real soon.

I glad all went well, both with your vacation to Japan and your interview!

Once you get your visa package, off to CFO for the sticker then beat feet to the airport and being with your fiance for the 14th of Feb. :thumbs:

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Filed: Timeline
5 hours ago, snowcat said:

Sharing my experience from my interview today!

My interview was scheduled for 6:45AM, I got there around 6:30AM and they were already lining people up to enter. You'll need to show your passport and DS-160 at the entrance outside. They put a barcode on your DS-160 and ask you to line up with everyone else. You basically don't need your appointment confirmation letter - they never asked me for it.

Inside, they first do data entry, where you again, show your passport and DS-160. They just encode your data and ask you to sit down again. Then, you go for a pre-screening interview with a Filipino consul. They ask for the ORIGINAL copies of: Birth Certificate, CENOMAR, and NBI Clearance, along with the brown sealed envelope you got from your medical at SLEC. I unfortunately didn't have an original copy of my birth certificate (forgot to order a new one in time for my interview), so I submitted a photocopy--more on this later. The consul asked me some questions, like how I met my fiance, and when we became an official couple. Also asked about my travel history (it helps if you have gone to the U.S. and other countries before). It was a quick conversation, then I was told to do fingerprint scanning at the next window.

After scanning my fingerprints, I was asked to wait for my interview. I was a nervous wreck the entire time. Even the lady next to me asked if I was feeling jittery because I couldn't stop shaking my leg from anxiety lol. I waited around 30-40 minutes, then I was called to line up behind another applicant who was currently doing her interview. It was a little awkward because you can hear every single word the consul says through their microphones haha. But it at least gave me an idea of the questions they ask. When my turn came, all my nerves seemed to suddenly cooperate with me and I felt less stressed. I gave a cheery "good morning!" to the consul, which he seemed to appreciate. He looked over my files and noted the lack of my original birth certificate - I explained that I had given my last copy to the Japanese Embassy for my recent trip to Japan and forgot to order a new one in time for my interview. He nodded and asked what I did in Japan, and explained that I went on vacation with my fiance and family for New Years, and in fact just got back 2 days ago. Then he asked how I met my fiance, and since I had met him while I was in the U.S. for studies back in 2012, and that we were physically together for 3 years while I was residing there, he didn't have too many follow up questions. Oh, but he did ask what my fiance did for a living. I told him he was a computer programmer in SF and worked at a startup. He had me explain the startup and the website he was working on. He took my word for it and didn't ask for ANY financial proof - I was so ready with bank statements and paystubs and income tax returns, too! He just looked at my photo album and our pictures from my fiance's recent Christmas trip to Manila and our New Year's trip with my family to Japan, and that seemed to be enough proof for him that we were legit. He just ended it with "okay, so, we need your birth certificate." He then handed me brochures on how to register my home address online for visa delivery and what to do in case of domestic violence. Confused, I asked, "uhm, does this mean I'm approved?" He replied, "unless we find something in your birth certificate that we don't like, which I don't think will happen, yes, you're approved." I felt a huge weight lifted off my chest! But still kinda bummed that I didn't remember to order a new birth certificate - would have made things easier for me! 

I was asked to proceed to Releasing, where I waited another 30 minutes. There, the guy told me I needed to submit my original birth certificate (which I already knew), and gave me a 221(g) letter to show and give to 2GO (at any of their branches) along with my birth cert. I asked how long it'll take, and he said it depends on when they receive my birth certificate, but that it shouldn't be more than 2 weeks. I asked if I am able to leave by February (next month), and he asked, "did you want to arrive before Valentine's Day?" and winked haha. I responded with, "you read my mind!" and he laughed, and he said that as long as I'm able to submit my birth certificate by next week, I should be fine. I'm hoping that that's true! 

In total, the entire process took 2.5 hours (6:30AM-9AM). Not as long as I thought it would take, honestly. As long as your relationship is legit, and you have all the documents needed (don't be like me and have all your original NSO docs with you!!!) the interview process is a breeze. :) 

Congrats.

Was there any protestors outside the Embassy?

Timeline
9 hours ago, javadown2 said:

Congratulations, sounds fairly painless :) Hope you can arrive before Feb 14th! Did you set up with CFO yet?

Thanks! Hope so too! Yup, I've attended the CFO seminar and already have the certificate. Just need to go back right after I get my visa to get my CFO sticker. :)

Congrats Snowcat.  Safe travels.

Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

Thank you for this play-by-play report. We are just starting ours. She is going for her medical on the 16th, then the interview as soon afterwards as she can. This has been a big help.

K1 VISA
07/05/15....First Chat

09/09/16....First Meeting In Davao, Philippines

10/24/16....I-129F mailed to Lewisville, TX

11/07/16....NOA1 Hard Copy Received
12/02/16....NOA2 Hard Copy Received I-797
02/02/17....Visa in Hand 

03/07/17....POE

04/22/17....Wedding

04/27/17....Applied For SSAN

05/11/17....Received Social Security Card

AOS

07/10/17....I-485 Sent (Slightly Late) 

07/17/17....I-485 Received

08/16/17....Biometrics

Timeline
4 minutes ago, Haltech007 said:

Thank you for this play-by-play report. We are just starting ours. She is going for her medical on the 16th, then the interview as soon afterwards as she can. This has been a big help.

Glad to hear it's helping those on the same journey as me! :) Feel free to send me a message if you have any questions down the line... might be able to help.

Timeline

Hi Snowcat! Really enjoyed reading your detailed story about your interview! I submitted my I-129F just before the application cost went up from $340 to $535 on 12/23! Sue and I used Skype to get to know each other, both video chat and messaging. It is good to read from other testimonials that chat history is now acceptable proof of relationship. We spent 100's of hours paring ours down!! In 10 months we logged over 4,000 pages of chat!! That was ridiculous for me to print for shipping, but maybe she can use more of it in her interview.

Oh....we just got the NOA-1 on 1/2/17 from the CSC, and it does seem they move much quicker than the TSC. Hmmm!!!

Again....congrats and do keep us all posted!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.