Jump to content

Adjusting from K-1 status questions

4 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

We are adjusting status from K-1 visa. I want to send the application in as soon as possible. im not sure if it's ok for me to use my maiden name (I am the sponsor). I haven't changed my last name over yet. Will it look bad if I use my maiden name? Or should I change it, then sign the paperwork with my new last name? All my proof of income and ID is in my maiden name

 Also, on form I-864 I will be proving income from pay stubs and employment letters since last years taxes are irrelevant to my current income (yes, I am still sending a copy just to prove I paid them) do I use my gross or net income for current income. My hours at work were just increased in January and I won't know til feb. 1 what my exact gross pay will be :/


also, what is ELIS number they ask for on form I-864? I don't think my fiancé has one but I'm not positive 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Are you planning on changing your name and just haven't gotten around to it yet?  Or are you keeping your maiden name?  That's the difference.  

 I am the petitioner.  I am still in the process of changing things over to my married name.  I have not changed things like my passport, DL, home deed, water bill etc.

I have changed some things like insurance, work/payroll, bank, and some other accounts.  It is a work in progress.  I did fill out the I-864 with my new married name because I am changing it.  I will change my IDs when they come up for expiration.  My tax transcripts and W2s were in my maiden name.  They understand that some items may be still in your maiden name as you were just recently married.  There is a place on the forms to list your maiden name (see the example forms guide)

If you do not plan on changing your name then complete the forms using your maiden name.  


Why is your last year tax info irrelevant?  The 1-864 asks for the current year taxes.  Which so far is 2015.  I think you will get an RFE if you do not send in tax transcript or return documents.  I send that along with my W2 and employment letter.

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, LionessDeon said:



I plan to change my name just haven't done it yet and was thinking it would keep things simpler if I filled docs out with my maiden name but I guess it will be ok either way :)


my last year tax return is irrelevant because I was married, and a stay at home Mom so the income all came from my ex husband. I will definitely send a copy though because I know they want to make sure I paid taxes. I just meant that I cannot use that income as my current income because it's completely different now.  Instead, I'll send in proof of wages from my current work. Just wasn't sure if I need to use gross or net pay 


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Oh ok, I understand.  Yes, I would still send it in to show you did file taxes last year.  


If you are changing your name, then I would put it on the AOS forms.  In my opinion, its alot easier then trying to go back and change it later with USCIS.  My driver's license/passport are still in my maiden name.  

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.