Valor

Should I reply to Ombudsman's email?

7 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year! 

So our case has been stuck in the AOS process for 11 months now. I submitted a request to Ombudsman in early November and since then haven't heard anything from them until this morning. They finally reached out to us and ask us to sign some consent before they can work on our request. However, I just wrote an email to our Congressmen with the privacy release form last night for the same concern. I know that our Congressman's office is probably working on our case soon and I don't want to bother USCIS too much. But I also know that all the Congressman could do is to send out an inquiry to USCIS. I'm not sure if there's any differences between Ombudsman and Congressman in terms of speeding up our case.  The Ombudsman office only give us one week to sign the form otherwise they will withdraw my request. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Much appreciated! 

From what I understand a congressman is pretty much limited to just inquiring on your behalf to find out what's going on or what the hold up is. An ombudsman has the ability to actually remedy certain situations. This I've gathered from having to deal with both during our waiver issues. 

5 hours ago, LionessDeon said:

From what I understand a congressman is pretty much limited to just inquiring on your behalf to find out what's going on or what the hold up is. An ombudsman has the ability to actually remedy certain situations. This I've gathered from having to deal with both during our waiver issues. 

Thanks for your input. I signed the form and emailed it back to the Ombudsman. Hope something will happen soon!

20 hours ago, LionessDeon said:

Thank you this is truly magical! We sent back the form yesterday afternoon, and our interview is schedule this morning:D

On 1/3/2017 at 2:13 PM, tbone1991 said:

Hi everyone,

Happy New Year! 

So our case has been stuck in the AOS process for 11 months now. I submitted a request to Ombudsman in early November and since then haven't heard anything from them until this morning. They finally reached out to us and ask us to sign some consent before they can work on our request. However, I just wrote an email to our Congressmen with the privacy release form last night for the same concern. I know that our Congressman's office is probably working on our case soon and I don't want to bother USCIS too much. But I also know that all the Congressman could do is to send out an inquiry to USCIS. I'm not sure if there's any differences between Ombudsman and Congressman in terms of speeding up our case.  The Ombudsman office only give us one week to sign the form otherwise they will withdraw my request. Do you guys have any thoughts on this? Much appreciated! 

@tbone1991any update on the ombudsman engagement? Thanks!

Click to expand AOS Timeline / I-131 Reentry Permit Timeline

Spoiler

AOS Timeline [Married to USC Apr 14, 2016 on tourist visa

May 24, 2016: Sent package to Chicago Lockbox via USPS (I-130, I-485, I-765, I-131)

May 26, 2016: [Day 0] Package accepted

June 3, 2016: [Day 8] Checks cashed

June 5, 2016: [Day 10] Received four NOA1s via email and text msg

June 13, 2016: [Day 18] Received four NOA1s via snail mail

June 18, 2016: [Day 23] Received biometrics appointment letter by snail mail (scheduled June 27 in Manhattan)

June 20, 2016: [Day 25] Walk-in biometrics appointment successful (1 week early)

July 27 2016: [Day 62] USCIS online case status FINALLY working!

Aug 8, 2016: [Day 73] Pink RFIE for I485: 2015 tax return requested (W2 deemed insufficient; letter dated July 25)

Aug 12, 2016: [Day 77] Our RFIE docs received in Lee's Summit, MO

Aug 16, 2016: [Day 81] RFIE docs confirmed by USCIS

Sept 6, 2016: [Day 102] Online approval of Advance Parole (form I-131) and Employment Authorization (form I-765)

Sept 10, 2016: [Day 106] Combo AP/EAD card received  - but incorrect birth date . Called Tier 1 support, they will send a new card in 15-30 days

Oct 10, 2016: [Day 136] Received letter requesting return of erroneous card; somehow mailed to WRONG STREET ADDRESS which delayed delivery by a month grrrr. Sent erroneous card to Lees Summit via Priority Mail.

Nov 25, 2016: [Day 182] Received Combo AP/EAD card with correct birth date 

Feb 15, 2017: [Day 264] Received confirmation of NYC interview date (March 23)

Feb 28, 2017: [Day 278] Applied for Social Security card at office (brought AP/EAD card + foreign passport)

Mar 6, 2017: [Day 284] Received Social Security # in the mail

Mar 23, 2017: [Day 301] Interview at 26 Fed Plaza in NYC.... verbal OK from officer

Apr 27, 2017: [Day 335] Infopass appt at 26 Fed Plaza in NYC.... no useful information given 

June 30, 2017: [Day 399] Call to Tier 2, no useful info except they will file a request with the NYC field office

July 12, 2017: [Day 412] Applied for Ombudsman Case Assistance (Form DHS-7001) 

July 27, 2017: [Day 427] RFE letter for new i-693, required because previous passed 1 year expiration

Aug 19, 2017: [Day 440] Green Card received!

-------------------

I-131 Reentry Permit Timeline

Mar 6, 2018: [Day -2] Sent I-131 package to Dallas Lockbox via USPS Priority

Mar 8, 2018: [Day 0] Package received at Dallas Lockbox

Mar 12, 2018: [Day 4] Credit card charged application fee

Mar 13, 2018: [Day 5] Text received confirming receipt

Mar 23, 2018: [Day 15] ASC Appointment Notice for biometrics appointment on Apr 11

Apr 18, 2018: [Day 41] Missed Apr 11 appt (on vacation), walked in Manhattan office with no appt, completed biometrics no problem

18 hours ago, dunebuggy said:

@tbone1991any update on the ombudsman engagement? Thanks!

They reached out to me in early Jan and I got the interview notice the second day after they contacted me. It turned out that USCIS scheduled my interview few days before they reached out to me(I found the date on the actual interview notice paper). Good luck!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.