PlusUltra

Few Questions...

8 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi VJers,

1. My client is requesting me for a W9 - wth is that? How does the taxing system work here?

2. No news on my GC still - should I be worried?

TIA :)

K1:

May 12, 2015: I-129F Sent

May 19, 2015: NOA 1

June 23, 2015: NOA 2

September 22, 2015: Interview (Approved)

AOS:

June 3, 2016: AOS Sent via USPS Express Mail

June 22, 2016: NOA 1

August 19, 2016: EAD/AP Approved

April 25, 2017: AOS Approved

ROC:

February 1, 2019: I-751 Sent via USPS Priority Mail

February 8, 2019: NOA 1

August 24, 2020: Card Received

N400:

March 6, 2022: N-400 Filed Online

March 7, 2022: NOA 1 & Biometrics Reused

October 20, 2022: Interview (Approved)

November 10, 2022: Oath Ceremony

I130 Minor Children:

December 20, 2022: I-130 Filed Online

November 15, 2023: Approval Notice

November 19, 2023: NVC Received

December 11, 2023: DQ'ed

1. Wow, that's a loaded question - explaining the tax system in the US. :) haha Honestly, we can try to explain it to you, but it might be better to just talk to your partner or other USC.

That said, the very, very, very short version is that an employer withholds parts of your wages from your paycheck. The employer then submits those taxes to the government (federal, state, and local) on your behalf. When taxes are due (i.e. 2016 taxes are due in 2017) and you fill out your tax forms, you calculate the exact amount of taxes owed to the government (after deductions, credits, penalties, etc.). Then they subtract what was withheld already by your employer(s). the difference is what you owe or get back via a refund. Since the US income tax code uses a progressive system, and everybody has various circumstances, a W9 is submitted to the employer so they know how much income to withhold on your behalf.

For example, somebody with 3 kids that makes $20k/year will (generally!) have an effective tax far below that of somebody single with no kids making $100k/year. As such, they withhold a higher percentage out of their checks, whereas the mother of 3 should have less taken out per check so that they have more money in their paycheck to meet their needs. In the end, it all evens out once you complete your tax returns, but the W9 guides your employer on how much (percentage-wise) needs to be withheld per paycheck. It's basically (crudely) lets them try to estimate what your taxes will be at the end of the year.
  2. Nothing jumps out as unusual in your timeline (assuming it's updated).
Edited by geowrian

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline
1 hour ago, FianceInTraining said:

Hi VJers,

1. My client is requesting me for a W9 - wth is that? How does the taxing system work here?

Nope don't be worried on the green card.  You did your biometrics, now to be patient.

W-9 ?   You are not a business.  Employer should be asking for you SSN and to complete a W-4, but not a W-9.   

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw4.pdf

Income taxes regarding your employer are bases upon the number of dependents you list on the W-4.  Do talk with your husband on this.

Edited by Sagot

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Timeline
1 hour ago, geowrian said:
  1. Wow, that's a loaded question - explaining the tax system in the US. :) haha Honestly, we can try to explain it to you, but it might be better to just talk to your partner or other USC.

That said, the very, very, very short version is that an employer withholds parts of your wages from your paycheck. The employer then submits those taxes to the government (federal, state, and local) on your behalf. When taxes are due (i.e. 2016 taxes are due in 2017) and you fill out your tax forms, you calculate the exact amount of taxes owed to the government (after deductions, credits, penalties, etc.). Then they subtract what was withheld already by your employer(s). the difference is what you owe or get back via a refund. Since the US income tax code uses a progressive system, and everybody has various circumstances, a W9  W-4 is submitted to the employer so they know how much income to withhold on your behalf.

For example, somebody with 3 kids that makes $20k/year will (generally!) have an effective tax far below that of somebody single with no kids making $100k/year. As such, they withhold a higher percentage out of their checks, whereas the mother of 3 should have less taken out per check so that they have more money in their paycheck to meet their needs. In the end, it all evens out once you complete your tax returns, but the W9 guides your employer on how much (percentage-wise) needs to be withheld per paycheck. It's basically (crudely) lets them try to estimate what your taxes will be at the end of the year.
  2. Nothing jumps out as unusual in your timeline (assuming it's updated).

You mean a W-4.   The W-9 is for businesses

4 minutes ago, Sagot said:

You mean a W-4.   The W-9 is for businesses

lol Yes I do. Wow...late nights...

I just assumed the OP meant W-4. But yeah, if he/she is providing services as a business, then having a W-9 requested isn't unusual. Unfortunately, I don't have experience here as I have been an employee (tax-wise) for all of my adult life.

Timelines:

ROC:

Spoiler

7/27/20: Sent forms to Dallas lockbox, 7/30/20: Received by USCIS, 8/10 NOA1 electronic notification received, 8/1/ NOA1 hard copy received

AOS:

Spoiler

AOS (I-485 + I-131 + I-765):

9/25/17: sent forms to Chicago, 9/27/17: received by USCIS, 10/4/17: NOA1 electronic notification received, 10/10/17: NOA1 hard copy received. Social Security card being issued in married name (3rd attempt!)

10/14/17: Biometrics appointment notice received, 10/25/17: Biometrics

1/2/18: EAD + AP approved (no website update), 1/5/18: EAD + AP mailed, 1/8/18: EAD + AP approval notice hardcopies received, 1/10/18: EAD + AP received

9/5/18: Interview scheduled notice, 10/17/18: Interview

10/24/18: Green card produced notice, 10/25/18: Formal approval, 10/31/18: Green card received

K-1:

Spoiler

I-129F

12/1/16: sent, 12/14/16: NOA1 hard copy received, 3/10/17: RFE (IMB verification), 3/22/17: RFE response received

3/24/17: Approved! , 3/30/17: NOA2 hard copy received

NVC

4/6/2017: Received, 4/12/2017: Sent to Riyadh embassy, 4/16/2017: Case received at Riyadh embassy, 4/21/2017: Request case transfer to Manila, approved 4/24/2017

K-1

5/1/2017: Case received by Manila (1 week embassy transfer??? Lucky~)

7/13/2017: Interview: APPROVED!!!

7/19/2017: Visa in hand

8/15/2017: POE

Timeline
22 minutes ago, Pinkrlion said:

If you are saying client, you are providing a service to someone, and they are asking for your W-9 which is your tax ID number.  

Yes... I missed the client part until too late to edit my post.   then they would want a W-9 ..   :oops: on my part there.

Filed: Timeline
6 hours ago, FianceInTraining said:

Hi VJers,

W9 -  If they have already paid you then they are screwed, you don't have to provide

If waiting on a check, then it would be your Social Security Number or your Tax ID # or even maybe an ITIN if you got that instead of a SSN

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.