yutekao

Marriage license question on K-1 visa

5 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

Hello guys,

my fiancée and I are trying to apply for our marriage licence.

I called the Probate court today about it and the lady I spoke to informed me that if the fiancée is not fluent in English she will need to have a translator to help her fill out the form.

She said that I am not allowed to speak/help my fiancée during the application...

Is that true?

Have anyone else ran into this problem?

Any information will be appreciated!

Please let me know the experiences you guys had

05/23/2019 I-751 Package Sent Through Fedex

05/24/2019 Packet Delivered to USCIS (Lewisville, TX)

05/31/2019 NOA 1 Received

09/20/2019 Case Status Updated To "Fingerprint Review Was Completed"

09/27/2019 I-797C Hard Copy Received (Letter said no biometric appointment is needed)

11/08/2019 Biometrics Appointment Letter Received (11/19)

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

Moved from K1 Process & Procedures to Moving to the US and Your New Life In America forum.

Our journey:

Spoiler

September 2007: Met online via social networking site (MySpace); began exchanging messages.
March 26, 2009: We become a couple!
September 10, 2009: Arrived for first meeting in-person!
June 17, 2010: Arrived for second in-person meeting and start of travel together to other areas of China!
June 21, 2010: Engaged!!!
September 1, 2010: Switched course from K1 to CR-1
December 8, 2010: Wedding date set; it will be on February 18, 2011!
February 9, 2011: Depart for China
February 11, 2011: Registered for marriage in Wuhan, officially married!!!
February 18, 2011: Wedding ceremony in Shiyan!!!
April 22, 2011: Mailed I-130 to Chicago
April 28, 2011: Received NOA1 via text/email, file routed to CSC (priority date April 25th)
April 29, 2011: Updated
May 3, 2011: Received NOA1 hardcopy in mail
July 26, 2011: Received NOA2 via text/email!!!
July 30, 2011: Received NOA2 hardcopy in mail
August 8, 2011: NVC received file
September 1, 2011: NVC case number assigned
September 2, 2011: AOS invoice received, OPTIN email for EP sent
September 7, 2011: Paid AOS bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 9, 2011)
September 8, 2011: OPTIN email accepted, GZO number assigned
September 10, 2011: Emailed AOS package
September 12, 2011: IV bill invoiced
September 13, 2011: Paid IV bill (payment portal showed PAID on September 14, 2011)
September 14, 2011: Emailed IV package
October 3, 2011: Emailed checklist response (checklist generated due to typo on Form DS-230)
October 6, 2011: Case complete at NVC
November 10, 2011: Interview - APPROVED!!!
December 7, 2011: POE - Sea-Tac Airport

September 17, 2013: Mailed I-751 to CSC

September 23, 2013: Received NOA1 in mail (receipt date September 19th)

October 16, 2013: Biometrics Appointment

January 28, 2014: Production of new Green Card ordered

February 3, 2014: New Green Card received; done with USCIS until fall of 2023*

December 18, 2023:  Filed I-90 to renew Green Card

December 21, 2023:  Production of new Green Card ordered - will be seeing USCIS again every 10 years for renewal

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

My fiancé wasn't very good at English when we went to get our license--I'm pretty sure I was translating almost every question for him--and nobody said anything about it. That was in Missouri, though, might be different in your state? Do you have any friends who you could bring along as a translator just in case? Or is your fiancé's English good enough that if you reviewed the form with her in advance she would be able to complete it? Good luck!

K1

Spoiler

12/18/2015- NOA 1

1/29/2016- NOA 2

2/18/2016- Letter from NVC saying they're forwarding to Guangzhou

3/4/2016- Received P3, returned it about a week later

3/22/2016- P4 email

5/12/16- Interview. Approved!

5/16/16- After a few days saying administrative processing, CEAC now says issued!

Additional snafu: my fiancé came over on his visa, but just a month later (and the day before we were going to get married) he had an emergency that necessitated him returning to China.  I contacted the Guangzhou consulate via their email system, provided the requested documents/proof, and he was granted a second interview for "reissuance."  He had to re-do the medical, redo the interview (bringing yet another copy of all of the things he had to bring the first time) and we were approved again!  He received what looked like a new visa in his passport, but the original 90 day countdown for marriage was still ticking.  He came back to the US and we got married right away!

8/22/16- Married!

AOS

9/30/16- Filed for AOS, EA, AP

10/6/16- NOA 1 for AOS, EA, and AP (USCIS case status website says case was received on October 4th)

11/9/16- Bio appointment

12/13/16- EA and AP approved!

no news... case status on website still says "fingerprint fee received..."

4/11/17- submitted online service request for case out of normal processing time (over 6 months)

5/2/17- USCIS website updated to "My card is being produced!"

5/10/17- Green Card received

ROC

3/2/19- Filed ROC

3/8/19- NOA/18mo extension received

5/7/19- Bio appointment

9/2/20- Interview scheduled for next month!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: South Korea
Timeline

I mean she can read and listen pretty well but still documentations are harder to read and understand 100% when you are not from the US.

But the lady we spoke to kept saying that she must be fluent in English which I never heard of that.

My fiancée is from Korea and we live in bluffton SC. Which she doesn't have any friends that can speak Korean here.

I've been trying to find an example form of the marriage license but no luck here.

If you can please share some of the things you need to fill out that would be great!

Thank you so much

05/23/2019 I-751 Package Sent Through Fedex

05/24/2019 Packet Delivered to USCIS (Lewisville, TX)

05/31/2019 NOA 1 Received

09/20/2019 Case Status Updated To "Fingerprint Review Was Completed"

09/27/2019 I-797C Hard Copy Received (Letter said no biometric appointment is needed)

11/08/2019 Biometrics Appointment Letter Received (11/19)

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Honestly I dunno how much it costs to get a translator there to assist, but I'd personally just call up a different probate court from a different county and see if they have the same requirements. If not, go there instead, and make sure the marriage license you get from that court is still good at any county in the state.

For example, we got a marriage license from the Gwinnett County Probate Court in Georgia, however we got married in Dekalb County Probate Court. The Gwinnett County Probate Court still processed the certificate though.

Edited by zilchfox

03-19-2021: Officially an American Citizen 🇺🇸 Entire journey from initial K-1 Visa filing to Naturalization took 5 years, 8 days.

You can see my complete timeline by clicking here.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.