2,895 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Brazil
Timeline
9 hours ago, Elena martinez said:

Yeah I was clueless of what to include with the 1485..I pretty much went bases on what I read online which ia not good..but yes when I'm ready to file for the aos I will be sure to ask you for some advice..so do you think going to the info pass is a waste of time? Will they give me any info on my vawa? I mean I would hate to drive over 1 hour to the info pass appointment for nothing:/..thank you very much for your help:)

Many people went to infopass and could inquire about their cases without any problem, but others posted here that they went to infopass and they didn't give any information.

Timeline
7 hours ago, gramercy said:

Has anyone here experienced these:

1- Severe anxiety symptoms?

(example: pounding heart, jumping every time the doorbell rings, trembling or shaking..etc)

2- OCD after trauma?

like... not wanting to touch anything the abuser touched?

Please share if there is something you have done helped you cope or feel better.

Gramercy what you described here are symptoms of a person suffering post traumatic disorder, you should go to the doctor to get some medications for anxiety, plus attend therapy sessions, it will help you a lot.

Timeline
8 hours ago, JMercado said:

Hello everyone, I am not sure if its the right forum to post.

Long story short. I came to houston with a K1 visa last year in November. I got married to my fiancee and we submitted all the paperwork for my EAD and GC.

When i finally got here i realized that my fiancee was a different person he started abusing me, he would humiliate me every day and even beat me up. He blocked all the phones so that my other couldn't call me from my country. Finally one day i called the police i got a report and they took him to jail for 2 days, his brother took me to the homeless shelter and left me there for 2 days or more. After that they allowed me to gen back in the house but the abuse continued. Then he started cheating on me which i found out a month later when started taking care of the bills and his credit cards cause he went to jail because of a third DWI which is his second felony. 

Even from jail he was still controlling me, calling every single day and anytime even during work. I finally left the house cause i did not deserve to pay for all the debt that he left wich was 8000 just for credit cards plus his truck and cellphone. The people from the shelter told me to apply for vawa with any of the free legal assistance places to get my GC on my own

Because for sure his family is doing everything to process or divorce. 

Would i still be eligible for VAWA ?

I would love to get more information on this. any experiences from anybody would be helpful please. Currently i have my EAD and the the I 485 is still pending but since were not together is the best idea to apply for VAWA?

To file VAWA or not just you can decide this.

Yes, you qualify to file VAWA. Get a letter from the shelter where you stayed. Gather affidavits from family and friends stating bonafide marriage and abuse if they know about the abuse. Ask your mother and one of your sibling's affidavits as well. Get a police clearance from all places you lived over 3 months in the past 3 years. 

You have to write your own affidavit (9/13 pages). Describe the courtship with details. Do not waste time mentioning about cheating or problems with the in-laws because USCIS does not consider abuse these things abuse.

Edited by sandranj

14 hours ago, JMercado said:

Hello everyone, I am not sure if its the right forum to post.

Long story short. I came to houston with a K1 visa last year in November. I got married to my fiancee and we submitted all the paperwork for my EAD and GC.

When i finally got here i realized that my fiancee was a different person he started abusing me, he would humiliate me every day and even beat me up. He blocked all the phones so that my other couldn't call me from my country. Finally one day i called the police i got a report and they took him to jail for 2 days, his brother took me to the homeless shelter and left me there for 2 days or more. After that they allowed me to gen back in the house but the abuse continued. Then he started cheating on me which i found out a month later when started taking care of the bills and his credit cards cause he went to jail because of a third DWI which is his second felony. 

Even from jail he was still controlling me, calling every single day and anytime even during work. I finally left the house cause i did not deserve to pay for all the debt that he left wich was 8000 just for credit cards plus his truck and cellphone. The people from the shelter told me to apply for vawa with any of the free legal assistance places to get my GC on my own

Because for sure his family is doing everything to process or divorce. 

Would i still be eligible for VAWA ?

I would love to get more information on this. any experiences from anybody would be helpful please. Currently i have my EAD and the the I 485 is still pending but since were not together is the best idea to apply for VAWA?

Yes you can apply for VAWA. Doesn't matter if you have a pending i485/ead or if divorce is in process. You are still eligible even till two years after divorce 

14 hours ago, gramercy said:

(example: pounding heart, jumping every time the doorbell rings, trembling or shaking..etc)

2- OCD after trauma?

Please share if there is something you have done helped you cope or feel better.

I have the same symptoms. Around February I went ahead and asked for a therapist from my victims advocate. I've been going ever since. They diagnosed me with PTSD and depression. She also wrote an affidavit for me saying that I am going to therapy and what my diagnosis is due to the abuse. You need to get a therapist, especially if you are like me, no family or friends. It makes it harder to get over the trauma if you have no one to talk to. Mine also gave me pointers on how to handle the anxiety. The non profit that helped me pays for the therapy so I just go and let it all out. Since February I've been doing much better, it definitely helps a ton. 

After I managed to escape I threw out everything that reminded me of him. I mean everything. That helps me with not getting additional triggers that could worsen the PTSD.

And if you ever want to talk, I'm always here to share and listen.

Edited by Ms.Green

I-360 filed - 10/21/2016

I-360 Prima Facie - 11/07/2016

I-485 filed - 12/06/2016

I-765 filed - 12/06/2016

Filed: Other Timeline
On 7/4/2017 at 5:29 AM, sandranj said:

The NBC will ship the case withing 20/30 days to the local office and the local office will schedule the interview.But the local offices are taking a long time to schedule the interview,5/9months.

Hi Sandra and others,

Will they notify you again or update the online status when they transfer from NBC to local office? I am wondering where my I-485 is currently.

Thanks.

Hello guys, 

I've read a lot of info here on VJ and that's why I was able to do all I've done. --thank you guys so much!! 

But I still have one concern and would like to kindly ask for input from you who have been through it.

Background:

I've applied for AOS marriage based a few months ago. Then life took a turn... applied for vawa recently and got the receipt notice. I went ahead and sent the letter to ask USCIS to hold my I-485 in abeyance. 

Now I would like to change my address for my 485 as I happily don't live in that home anymore. I've scheduled an Infopass. 

My question:

Will my ex get an email notifying about the change of address in the 485, since we had filed a g-1145 with the previously filed AOS and had the email there?

Thank you!

39 minutes ago, azalea3 said:

Hi Sandra and others,

Will they notify you again or update the online status when they transfer from NBC to local office? I am wondering where my I-485 is currently.

Thanks.

I'm wondering the same thing too. My file was last at NBC and I have no idea if it's still there or if it's been transferred to my local office. I've read of people who didn't know when their files were transferred but suddenly received interview notices in the mail. 

16 hours ago, gramercy said:

2- OCD after trauma?

Therapy and more Counselling might help. Also try to surround yourself with friends and people who make you happy. Avoid being alone very often. I hope you feel better soon 

Timeline
3 hours ago, azalea3 said:

Hi Sandra and others,

Thanks.

Not really, some people get updates and others don't, but usually, VSC takes 30/45 days to ship the case to NBC and the NBC takes 30/60 days to ship to the local office, and in the local office you can follow the timeline published by USCIS. Most of the States takes 6/9months to set up the interview. CA  and NYC, for example, are taking 9/12 months to set up the AOS interview. 

1 hour ago, sandranj said:

Not really, some people get updates and others don't, but usually, VSC takes 30/45 days to ship the case to NBC and the NBC takes 30/60 days to ship to the local office, and in the local office you can follow the timeline published by USCIS. Most of the States takes 6/9months to set up the interview. CA  and NYC, for example, are taking 9/12 months to set up the AOS interview. 

According to USCIS processing times, Santa Ana was at October 8th on May 31st. That is 7.5 months. I know that the times posted aren't accurate for all cases but I am wondering why you say 9-12 months for all of CA? Just hoping it is closer to processing times posted. 

Filed: Other Timeline
On 7/6/2017 at 1:27 PM, NICOLA2017 said:

Have you tried your local hospital ? Try Google bevause most people u heard of go to the hospital and it's free or pay 250 the most if you tell them it's for VAWA.

Which hospital do I go to? It's a dumb question but I am going to a doctor but he doesn't know how to write a report. I am going to him from early February. 

Does anyone know what has to be done?

Sandranj is there any way I can ask my doctor to reach you out for more information?  

Thanks

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.