Jump to content

Confused if to fill out N600 or N400?

6 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

So i have a green card right now that will expire in August. My dad became a US citizen in 2001 and i did not turn 18 until 2006. My parents divorced in 2006 and my mom took care of me. But in 2001 they were separated, just not legally, if it matters he got his citizenship in january 2001 and they separated later in the year like september or october. Do i still get the citizenship from my dad and fill out n600?

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

N600, when he got his citizenship, you still lived with him.

Entry on VWP to visit then-boyfriend 06/13/2011

Married 06/24/2011

Our first son was born 10/31/2012, our daughter was born 06/30/2014, our second son was born 06/20/2017

AOS Timeline

AOS package mailed 09/06/2011 (Chicago Lockbox)

AOS package signed for by R Mercado 09/07/2011

Priority date for I-485&I-130 09/08/2011

Biometrics done 10/03/2011

Interview letter received 11/18/2011

INTERVIEW DATE!!!! 12/20/2011

Approval e-mail 12/21/2011

Card production e-mail 12/27/2011


Resident since 12/21/2011

ROC Timeline

ROC package mailed to VSC 11/22/2013

NOA1 date 11/26/2013

Biometrics date 12/26/2013

Transfer notice to CSC 03/14/2014

Change of address 03/27/2014

Card production ordered 04/30/2014


N-400 Timeline

N-400 package mailed 09/30/2014

N-400 package delivered 10/01/2014

NOA1 date 10/20/2014

Biometrics date 11/14/2014

Early walk-in biometrics 11/12/2014

In-line for interview 11/23/2014

Interview letter 03/18/2015

Interview date 04/17/2015 ("Decision cannot yet be made.")

In-line for oath scheduling 05/04/2015

Oath ceremony letter dated 05/11/2015

Oath ceremony 06/02/2015

I am a United States citizen!

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have send an application for a US passport but just been sent an email that it is being delayed because they need more documents. I called them but they didnt know what i could send and told me that someone will call me to give me more information about the documents that can be sent, still no call.


I am in my late 20's and my dad became a us citizen in 2002 and i was under 18. At the time he was still married. So i assumed that marriage certificate will be enough but they sent in this:


Thank you for your recent passport application.  If you have already obtained a Certificate of Citizenship issued by the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS), please submit this document to our office.  If a Certificate of Citizenship has not been obtained, please submit the following:

·         A combination of documents such as school, tax, medical, or court records that documents you were in the legal and physical custody of your U.S. citizen parent(s) after you entered the United States for lawful permanent residence and before your 18th birthday.


Now why would they need this if he was married and both parents took care of me?


Also what documents can i send and how to get them? Any other documents that i can send that they did not mention? Medical records wont be able to get, didnt go to doctor much. Can i send tax papers even though both of their names will be on there? Do i need 2 different documents or can i send in 2 different tax returns? Or do i need to send in tax returns from the year i came in till i turned 18?


Edited by ulala

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have applied to get the US passport, do not have the certificate of citizenship since i was told i do not need to get one, and i can just get the passport instead since my dad got his certificate of naturalization before my 18th birthday. My parents were married when he got the certificate. Yesterday i get an email that i need more documents that will show: " documents you were in the legal and physical custody of your U.S. citizen parent(s) after you entered the United States for lawful permanent residence and before your 18th birthday." I am confused why would they need that when on their website it  clearly states that if they were married i just need their marriage certificate.


(from the US passport website states:)

U.S. Citizenship through Naturalization of a Parent

If you were born outside the United States and acquired U.S. citizenship through the naturalization of your parent(s), please submit the following with your passport application:

  • Your foreign birth certificate listing your parent(s)
  • Your parent(s)’ naturalization certificate
  • Evidence of your permanent residence status. Examples include:
    • Permanent Resident Card/Green Card
    • Foreign passport with the original I-551 visa entry stamp
  • Your parents' marriage certificate (if your parents were married when you legally entered the U.S. and before your 18th birthday) 
  • Documentation of legal custody (if your parents were not married when you legally entered the U.S.)
  • Evidence of your legitimation (if your parents were not married at the time of your birth). Examples include:
    • Your parents' marriage certificate dated after your birth
    • Certified court order of legitimation 

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

~~Three related threads merged. Please Only start one thread for all related questions. I t helps members when all the information is in the same thread.~~


Met Playing Everquest in 2005
Engaged 9-15-2006
K-1 & 4 K-2'S
Filed 05-09-07
Interview 03-12-08
Visa received 04-21-08
Entry 05-06-08
Married 06-21-08
Filed 07-08-08
Cards Received01-22-09
Roc X5
Filed 10-17-10
Cards Received02-22-11
Filed 10-17-11
Interview 01-12-12
Oath 06-29-12

Citizenship for older 2 boys

Filed 03/08/2014

NOA/fee waiver 03/19/2014

Biometrics 04/15/14

Interview 05/29/14

In line for Oath 06/20/14

Oath 09/19/2014 We are all done! All USC no more USCIS


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.