Jump to content

Can I import my Canadian Car to the US?

5 posts in this topic

Recommended Posts

I received my K-1 Visa at the end of September and we just got married this past week. We are about to send in the package to update my status, obtain work permit, and approval to travel. My car is still back in Canada and I don't own it (financing through the bank of Nova Scotia). I am wondering if anyone has had experience with importing a Canadian car while they still owe money on it? What are the steps for this process?


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

~Moved from K1 Process to Moving to the US and Your New Life in America Forum~

~Similar topics are often discussed at this forum, past K1 visa~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

> Almost 2 years of our lives involved with the USCIS/DOS "shuffle" & worth every second of it ! <

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca


:idea: Read more, post less.... Google can be your friend ! :idea:

Prior apologies if I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Keep your timeline current: http://www.visajourney.com/timeline/

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Scotia bank has issues with people exporting cars that they own. When you have a lien on a vehicle, technically the BANK owns it until it's paid off. I suggest selling it and buying a different car in the USA. You could pay off the loan though if you choose.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss


Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites

Actually, the bank does not own it, the purchaser does. Canada does not title vehicles, it is an asset that is purchased and as such is owned buy the purchaser. What the bank does have is a lien against the asset, the vehicle. Banks don't like you taking cars across the boarder because if the purchaser defaults on the loan, it is very difficult, aka almost impossible for them to recover on the lien. Therefore, unless you have a letter of permission from the lien holder (ie the Bank) allowing you to take the vehicle cross boarder, CBP will not process the import.

**** Sorry one edit (hit enter too soon)*****

I agree with Canadian in Colorado and add that you could (if you have the resources) get an unsecured loan to pay off the car loan, import the vehicle and then pay the unsecured loan per it's terms. Just a suggestion.

Edited by NovaSprings

Share this post

Link to post
Share on other sites
Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
- Back to Top -

Important Disclaimer: Please read carefully the Visajourney.com Terms of Service. If you do not agree to the Terms of Service you should not access or view any page (including this page) on VisaJourney.com. Answers and comments provided on Visajourney.com Forums are general information, and are not intended to substitute for informed professional medical, psychiatric, psychological, tax, legal, investment, accounting, or other professional advice. Visajourney.com does not endorse, and expressly disclaims liability for any product, manufacturer, distributor, service or service provider mentioned or any opinion expressed in answers or comments. VisaJourney.com does not condone immigration fraud in any way, shape or manner. VisaJourney.com recommends that if any member or user knows directly of someone involved in fraudulent or illegal activity, that they report such activity directly to the Department of Homeland Security, Immigration and Customs Enforcement. You can contact ICE via email at Immigration.Reply@dhs.gov or you can telephone ICE at 1-866-347-2423. All reported threads/posts containing reference to immigration fraud or illegal activities will be removed from this board. If you feel that you have found inappropriate content, please let us know by contacting us here with a url link to that content. Thank you.