IslandShellz

Help finding a sponsoring companies with little experience?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: F-1 Visa Country: Bahamas
Timeline

Hello Everyone! :)

First, if there is already a thread like this i apologize and ask that you please help me to find it!

I recently graduated University with a Bachelor's in Biology (I also have my AA degree), as an F1 student from the Caribbean. While in school the most experience I got from only being able to work on campus was as a cashier. Right after I graduated i landed an entry level lab technician job with no real other experience except school coursework. The company was e verified (which helps because i would like to apply for the STEM extension) and they were also willing to sponsor a work visa.

Bad news-
I had to wait an additional 3 months before my initial OPT authorization card came in the mail and i had to be let go. I was told I could contact them later, but that was of no help in the end. So enter my new endless job search and rejection letters. I'm more interested in the lab and/or clinical side of science, I've interned with and shadowed dentists and taken countless labs in school. (I am actually certified for dental assisting but later learned-since i don't need a bachelors to be a dental assistant i can not pursue this)
Last month I was hired to be an emergency department scribe for a hospital, however to my knowledge they don't e verify and they don't sponsor many visas unless you have moved up the ladder a bit after a year or two

The past few days have been me searching entry level jobs related to my major and every time i think i've found a good place to apply i realize that they don't have much history with sponsoring for an h1b and most aren't e verified (although i'm told i can ask them to e verify). I'm sticking with my current job in hopes of gaining good experience that will make me a stronger asset but knowing that i have to apply for my extension in another 4/5 months makes me anxious to be with a company that covers all the bases now. I've thought about obtaining clinical and lab technologist certifications but from what i've read i might need up to a year of clinical experience first (which doesn't relieve me of having an e verified job in place while i would commit to that process)

MY QUESTION
Is there anyone that might have been in similar shoes that can offer some hope and job search advice?
I just feel like i'm on such a time crunch to gain experience and land a job with certain companies.... Am I just panicking too soon lol? Does anyone here have some tips and tricks they can share that they've went through?

Appreciating everyone's help in advance!

Some of the best employers in STEM are not eligible for STEM extension (no e-verify). Beats me, but that's how it is.

In a long run, going with the best employer who can sponsor H1B is the best solution. Put more weight on career development than on immigration issues. Eventually this approach will help you with immigration too.

Utilizing your EAD and getting the STEM extension makes a lot of sense, especially if you're running out of time. But don't limit your options to that.

That said, the H1B process may take about 9 months. So you're not panicking too soon at all. With your time-frame you should find a sponsor ASAP. There are options for you to stay in the country lawfully even if your OPT expires, as long as you're in the process of applying for H1B.

Edited by randomstairs
03/04/2016 AOS (EB2-NIW concurrent with I-485) mailed to Lewisville TX Lockbox
03/07/2016 AOS delivered to USCIS and signed
03/12/2016 Case received by Nebraska Service Center (NSC)
03/14/2016 Text notification received for I-140/I-485/I-765/I-131.
04/08/2016 Biometrics notice received for 04/21
04/13/2016 Biometrics early walk-in completed.
04/15/2016 EAD/AP combo card received in mail.

Long wait begins...

11/04/2016 I-140/485 cases transferred from Nebraska to TCS
12/01/2016 Prepared package for EAD/AP renewal (expires 04/09/2017)
12/23/2016 USCIS suddenly changes several forms, invalidating my EAD/AP renewal package (not yet sent)
12/27/2016 USCIS suddenly reforms the entire NIW criteria system, replacing a 20 years old one. Uncharted waters. 
01/07/2017 (Saturday!) EAD/AP renewal package with new forms received in Phoenix "reception desk"
01/17/2017 EAD/AP renewal case accepted; text/email with receipt numbers was received
01/30/2017 Law firm finally confirms that USCIS has suspended processing all EB2-NIW cases due to new criteria. 
02/23/2017 USCIS slowly starts adjudicating NIW cases again.
04/21/2017 Extended EAD/AP received in mail. Valid for 2 years. 
05/06/2017 Received a massive RFE on I-140 NIW case.
07/20/2017 RFE response received by USCIS (a very long response with 30 pages of docs)
09/14/2017 I-140 NIW approved!!! 
11/28/2017 RFE for new medical issued (plus another request re Supp J for employment which is clearly issued in error)
12/04/2017 RFE received in mail
12/07/2017 repeated medical exam for I-485
12/08/2017 Attorney receives documents for responding to I-485 RFE
12/21/2017 Response to RFE received by USCIS 
02/09/2018 I-485 approval (text, email) :)
02/08/2018 I-485 approval notice issued (the "welcome letter") - I'm LPR now
02/16/2018 Green card received

11/14/2022 Filed N-400 online; receipt and biometrics reuse form received online
03/07/2023 N-400 Interview scheduled 
04/xx/2023 N-400 approved, same-day Oath ceremony completed. I'm a US citizen.
05/xx/2023 US passport in hand

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Indonesia
Timeline

Pharmaceutical companies?

Do you know any pharmaceutical company that might sponsor a candidate living outside of America? Edited by catherinemondigir

Timeline

Some of the best employers in STEM are not eligible for STEM extension (no e-verify). Beats me, but that's how it is.

In a long run, going with the best employer who can sponsor H1B is the best solution. Put more weight on career development than on immigration issues. Eventually this approach will help you with immigration too.

Utilizing your EAD and getting the STEM extension makes a lot of sense, especially if you're running out of time. But don't limit your options to that.

That said, the H1B process may take about 9 months. So you're not panicking too soon at all. With your time-frame you should find a sponsor ASAP. There are options for you to stay in the country lawfully even if your OPT expires, as long as you're in the process of applying for H1B.

- Thats exactly what i'm coming to realize. I remembered my immigration advisor telling me that the STEM extension can give you additional opportunities to apply for h1b if you don't get picked the first time, but getting hired with a company that e verifies AND sponsors in the area doesn't seem like it goes hand in hand. I also went back and looked up options in OPT expiring and didn't realize all my options until you said it so thank you. Also i was told that I HAVE to apply for h1b during every quota, and i understand the importance, but if my company doesn't sponsor that means i can't right? the person that told me this confused me a little because my understanding is that only the company can file for you.

Look around on this website http://redbus2us.com/h1b-visa-sponsors/ . Just search for a job title and you will see what companies that have filed h1b for that job and how many.

- Thank you so much for the website!

Timeline

Pharmaceutical companies?

Thank you, I've actually recently been trying to identify all of the pharma companies in the area, A small amount have already rejected me :( and most don't have jobs listed yet that seem to come close to my resume and skills but i'm constantly checking back.

• 5 weeks later...
Filed: Country:
Timeline

Shellz, although I myself didn't get sponsored through work, I do have two other Bahamian friends here in Minnesota who did.

Both of them had the same strategy (and both are being sponsored through two different jobs, for their greencards): Apply to colleges.

With a degree in biology you can at very least get a job as a TA/lab assistant and hopefully move up to a more significant position during your time there. From what I hear, its not hard to get the STEM extension as long as you're employed so you've got 2 years to move up and impress them enough to want to sponsor your H1B/Greencard. The reason why I say colleges is that they are exempt from the H1B cap and so they tend to be a bit more lax when it comes to sponsorship.

Still continue to do your own research but this is my best advice! Good luck!

Fiancee Visa Timeline

1/7/16 - I-129F Sent

1/28/16 - NOA1

3/10/16 - NOA2

4/8/16 - NVC Sent

5/2/16 - Medical

5/2/16 - Interview

5/4/16 - Physical

5/10/16 - Dropped passport off at Embassy

5/12/16 - Visa in Hand

5/21/16 - POE

7/10/16 - Marriage

AOS Timeline

7/21/16 - Mailed packet

7/23/16 - Packet delivered

7/28/16 - NOA1

10/7/16 - Biometrics

11/30/16 - EAD/AP Approved

12/6.16 - EAD/AP Received

1/21/17 - New card ordered for production

1/23/17 - Greencard Approved (no interview)

1/24/17 - Greencard Mailed

1/26/17 - Greencard Received

• On Oct 13th AOS status was updated to say that a notice was returned due to post office being unable to deliver it. Tier two told me that it was biometrics or NOA1 (even though I had received both before this date).

• A few weeks later I received a notice dated Nov 10th, in regards to my call about the Oct 13th notice. The new notice said that there were no RFE's or withholding on my case. So still not sure what this Oct 13th notice was about.

• Received a letter from a NY office on Dec 23rd (dated Dec 10) stating that my medical was over 1 year old. (At this point my medical was only 7 months old)

• Teir two submitted an internal service request to which I got a response telling me that I need to respond to RFE ASAP

• Submitted another service request on 1/6/17. To which I got a response on 1/19/17 stating that my case was pending and is outside of processing time (no mention of RFE)

ROC Timeline

10/21/18 - Packet Sent

xx/xx/xx - NOA1

xx/xx/xx - NOA2

xx/xx/xx - Card Received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.