Niels Bohr

Cambodian VJ Thread

419 posts in this topic

hi guys

please help out! my husband left me to go back to Cambodia. i wasn't sure if he just visit there or plan to live there since we never contact. but i know he is now live in Cambodia. I plan to divorce him. the lawyer had sent a divorce packet to cambodia but somehow it's never return. So now the lawyer want to do advertise in order to let him served. my question is which newspaper is appropriate for advertise in Cambodia.

thanks

• 2 months later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

Sam,

I brought my 2009 tax return and transcript to the interview just in case they ask for it. At the time, these documents were not ready or available to include in the AOS package. I wouldn't worry about it if NVC have all your current tax returns and supporting documents.

Sent a copy to your fiance just in case.

Hi there. I have a question. What did they require your wife to bring in as far as documents? We got an RFE because my wife's original birth certificate wasn't sent to the NVC. Is another police certificate and copy of marriage certificate required? We have pictures, phone records and I will have her go get a medical done as soon as we get an email telling us of the interview appointment date, just wondering about other official documents. I requested an extension for my taxes for 2010 so I won't have it. Also, would you suggest that I be there and have her bring my passport in with her? We both feel very confident that she'll pass the interview. And last, what type of questions were asked?

Thanks,

Sam

• 10 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Cambodia
Timeline

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with petition for your parents. My wife became a US Citizen and filed a petition to sponsor her mother to live in the US. Our Intervew date is in the middle of next month? I was wondering how it went and what to expect. We will provide the usual paperwork, finance papers, documented proof of relationship and so on.

N-400 for Citizenship.

09/15/2010 Application Sent.

09/22/2010 Check Cashed.

09/23/2010 NOA Sent.

09/27/2010 NOA Received.

10/15/2010 Biometric Appointment.

01/26/2011 Interview Letter.

02/24/2011 Interview Date. PASSED!!!!!!!!

03/25/2011 Received oath ceremony letter

04/21/2011 Oath Ceremony @ 12:30PM

Oath Ceremony Completed. Now A US Citizenship.

I-130 Petition for Mother

05/05/2011 Application Sent To Chicago Lockbox.

05/11/2011 Check Cashed.

05/14/2011 Received NOA.

08/03/2011 RFE Notice Sent.

08/06/2011 RFE Received.

08/22/2011 Send Additional Evidence.

08/25/2011 Status Update Changed To RFE Received.

09/02/2011 Approval Notice Sent.

09/06/2011 Approval Letter Received.

09/29/2011 Received Email With NVC Number, Fee, And Choice Of Agent Form.

09/29/2011 Paid NVC $88.00 Fee Online.

09/30/2011 Online Status Changed To Paid.

10/07/2011 Emailed Choice Of Agent Form.

10/12/2011 Paid $404.00 IV Fee Online.

10/14/2011 Online Status Changed To Paid.

01/10/2012 Email From NVC Stating Case Complete And Interview Date 02/16/2012 @ 7AM

01/18/2012 Medical Appointment

02/16/2012 Interview Date PASSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 1 year later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Australia
Timeline

Let's try revive this thread.

Just received an email from the Phnom Penh Embassy this morning, stating that one must present a "Letter of Legal Capacity to Marry" when appearing for the interview. It has recently come into effect and as such, it has not been included in the checklist. It is part of the requirements for a K1 visa.

Please note that Cambodian nationals will need to obtain such letter from commune/sangkat office where they reside. For foreigners, you may need to contact your Embassy to obtain the letter.

• 1 month later...
Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

Can a Cambodian female still get a fiance visa if her male fiance is over 50?

Facts are cheap...knowing how to use them is precious...
Understanding the big picture is priceless. Anonymous

Google Who is Pushbrk?

A Warning to Green Card Holders About Voting

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

Can a Cambodian female still get a fiance visa if her male fiance is over 50?

I don't see why not as the age restriction is placed on the suiting Spouse by the Khmer Government. No such restriction that I know of is in place by a Foreign Government to prevent marrying a Khmer. Only the destination countries laws of minimum age would apply I would imagine.

Timeline

I too have an imagination that works similarly to yours. One other possibility is that the US Embassy's IV unit might respect the Cambodian law by not issuing the visa in a case where the law would apply to a marriage in country. I'm looking for confirmation from knowledge, not just confirmation that somebody else shares my good common sense. idea9dv.gif

Google Who is Pushbrk?

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/606646-a-warning-to-green-card-holders-about-voting/

Timeline

..... I'm looking for confirmation from knowledge.....

Have you tried contacting the embassy directly for first hand information?

Edited by RaginKhmer

Timeline

This ain't my first rodeo. Thought somebody here might have the knowledge and answer more quickly than the IV unit.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

Timeline

For any interested, the IV unit replied to my email after three days, indicating there's no issue with a fiancee visa process due to the age of the petitioner.

Google Who is Pushbrk?

• 5 months later...
Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Cambodia
Timeline

New procedure for paying the $240 fee for K1 visa at the Phnom Penh embassy begining April 1st.

You will no longer pay in cash on the day of interview.

After April 1 you must make the payment prior to the interview at any ACLEDA bank.

http://cambodia.usembassy.gov/fiancees_visas.html

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

Does anybody know if the embassy is OK with a marriage certificate from Hong Kong? I was told that the Cambodian government won't allow their citizen to marry outside the kingdom. But if the embassy will overlook the age restriction for a k1 then I would assume they will accept a legal marriage cert from Hong Kong as well. I've tried emailing the embassy multiple times but no reply.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know if the embassy is OK with a marriage certificate from Hong Kong? I was told that the Cambodian government won't allow their citizen to marry outside the kingdom. But if the embassy will overlook the age restriction for a k1 then I would assume they will accept a legal marriage cert from Hong Kong as well. I've tried emailing the embassy multiple times but no reply.

I've had the same problem reaching them. I just called them during office hours and got a straight reply. Do you speak Khmer? That also helps a bit when talking to them on the phone. Let me know if you'd like their number. It is on the website, though. :)

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

• 3 weeks later...

Chum reap sou fellow Cambodian applicants!!

May I please post a question here?

I know there is no way for us to count on getting our visa. However, we still like to dream about it, and prepare the best we can. When the U.S. Embassy, Phnom Penh does issue a K-1 visa, does anyone know when it is released?

The website says "the Friday following the interview," however, I don't know if that is government speak for Friday, October 10th, Friday October 17th, or perhaps just wrong entirely because I have heard of people getting stuck in AP (eek! What is that anyway?) or other delays.

So I guess my questions are thus:

1. When do they typically issue the visa after approval?

2. What is AP?

Thanks everyone!!

All that we are and all that will be we dedicate to the One who brought us together

Timeline:

K-1 Journey:

Petition sent: 03/27/2014

Interview date!!! 10/06/2014

AOS:

Packet received at Chicago Lockbox: 2/2/2015

EAD approved! 2/26/2015

AP approved! 2/26/2015

Green card received!! 09/24/2015

ROC: 

I-751 sent off to CSC: 7/25/2017

NOA1: 7/27/2017

Filed Inquiry into Biometrics status: 9/18/2017

10 Year Green Card Approved!!! 10/22/2018

Next Stop, Citizenship! 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.