simistar

Dual Citizen child - need US passport for travel?

6 posts in this topic

Hi there,

I so apologize if this has been covered - my quick search did not turn up what I'm looking for (and I'm in a rush :wacko: )

And you guys are always so helpful:-)

We live in the United States (now, used to live in Canada). My son is a Canadian citizen and has a Canadian passport. He JUST (about a month and a half ago) got his US citizenship. Last minute, we now need to travel to Canada next week. My question is...

Can he travel with JUST his Canadian passport (and his Certificate of US Citizenship) - or does he NEED a US passport to get back into the US...?

(he will be traveling with myself, a Canadian citizen and US Permanent Resident and my husband/his dad, an American citizen)

Just wondering since I don't think we have time to get a US passport for him before we'd need to go :blink:

Thank you in advance!

[u][url="http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=224630&hl=simistar"][font="Garamond"][size=2]My Montreal Interview Review[/size][/font][/url][/u]

Yes, as a us citizen he is required to use a us passport to enter the country

K-1 Met:2002 Dating :2003 I-129F Sent : 2013-06-01 I-129F NOA2 : 2013-08-20 Medical: 2013-12-20 Interview Date : 2014-01-22 POE: 2014-02-19 Wedding: 2014-03-18

AOS/EAD Date Filed : 2014-04-04 BioAppt: 2014-05-13 EAD in Production: 2014-07-08 Interview date: 2014-07-14 Green Card received: 2014-07-19

ROC Date Filed: 2016-04-26 Cheque Cashed: 2016-05-10 NOA1: 2016-04-28 Biometrics: 2016-06-30 Approved: 11-08-2016 Green Card Received: 11-18-2016

Citizenship Date Filed: 2017-04-18 Cheque Cashed: 2017-04-24- NOA1:2017-04-21  Biometrics: 2017-05-19 Inline: 2017-07-12 Interview Date: 2018-02-13 Oath: 2018-03-15

Depending on the age of the child, and mode of transportation, proof of citizenship might be sufficient.

Entry into the United States via land and sea

U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

Edited by Lemonslice

Depending on the age of the child, and mode of transportation, proof of citizenship might be sufficient.

Entry into the United States via land and sea

U.S. and Canadian citizen children under the age of 16 (or under 19, if traveling with a school, religious group, or other youth group) need only present a birth certificate or other proof of citizenship. The birth certificate can be original, photocopy, or certified copy.

https://www.cbp.gov/travel/us-citizens/western-hemisphere-travel-initiative

Thank you Lemonslice:-)

We were planning on flying, given the last-minuteness of the trip... but if MAYBE we will fly into the US close to the border and then drive across if we must... uuugh. Thank you!

Thank you!

[u][url="http://www.visajourney.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=224630&hl=simistar"][font="Garamond"][size=2]My Montreal Interview Review[/size][/font][/url][/u]

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

It is usually less expensive to fly into the neighboring US city and drive across. You should be fine with just the certificate for that. I often fly to Buffalo and just drive across to Toronto. Not so much fun in the winter, but I doubt you are going to get a passport in time. Good luck!

Elizabeth and Ryan's K1 Journey

-07/20/04 Sending away I-129f to TSC
-11/18/04 APPROVED IN MONTREAL (122 days since start)
-12/8/04 POE Buffalo Peace Bridge (easy, but long line to wait)

-12/13/04 Married!!

*** APRIL 26th 2005 APPROVED CF-1 ***
05/02/05 PR card received in mail -- 9 month process from start to finish

-8/25/16 - N-400 process started

-04/26/17 - Oath Ceremony at Jacksonville USCIS office

Thank you Nevyna!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.