twstr988

Sputum Exam. Very distraught now.

37 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is hard. My fiance just had her medical. The xray showed a small problem and has to do the 3 days of sputum. This has ruined our Christmas. Between the tears and nerves we dont know what to do. How long does this take? How do we reschedule her interview? It was set for November 8 and they told her to come back November 9,10 and 11. I saw the petition expires after 4 months of the approval. We have no idea what we are supposed to do now. The sadness is hard enough because she has never had TB and never been sick or anything. We dont understand how this even happened. Because of this, we are now delayed. What do we do next for the interview to make sure we dont have to start over? We dont know what to do now. This is super depressing. We had plans that have to be changed now. I understand the need but its so depressing. We dont know what happens next even. She had a bad cold 10 days ago.

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

This is hard. My fiance just had her medical. The xray showed a small problem and has to do the 3 days of sputum. This has ruined our Christmas. Between the tears and nerves we dont know what to do. How long does this take? How do we reschedule her interview? It was set for November 8 and they told her to come back November 9,10 and 11. I saw the petition expires after 4 months of the approval. We have no idea what we are supposed to do now. The sadness is hard enough because she has never had TB and never been sick or anything. We dont understand how this even happened. Because of this, we are now delayed. What do we do next for the interview to make sure we dont have to start over? We dont know what to do now. This is super depressing. We had plans that have to be changed now. I understand the need but its so depressing. We dont know what happens next even. She had a bad cold 10 days ago.

1) If the SPUTUM culture is negative at the end of 3 days it will then be monitored for a total of 60 days, if at 3 days (or 60 days) the culture is positive she will be scheduled for DOT which takes 6 months ... this is a good thing as it will cure her TB (TB kills). if negative at the end of 60 days SLEC will complete the vaccinations and give your fiancee her medical file for delivery to USEM.

2) Your petition will stay valid for a year, the embassy will automatically extend the validity. Do stress on this, all will be fine.

3) You can cancel your current interview day by phone or online at your dashboard at USTRAVELDOCS. Don't schedule another interview date until you have cleared the SPUTUM hurdle.

Here is a link with helpful info and link for the varied processes. http://visaconnection-philippines.com/index.php

Embassy Manila’s Visa Information and Appointment Service center hotlines are (632) 976-8500, (632) 976-8501 or (632) 976-8502. The call center is open Monday through Friday, from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. (Manila time), except on Philippine and U.S. holidays. Callers in the U.S should call (703) 520-2235 on its Eastern Standard Time equivalent of operation hours.

Visa interview appointments can also be scheduled online here.

Visa chase and citizenship.. DONE!

For helpful information  gif animation     CLICK HERE!

Timeline

Thank you very much for the response. I agree its a great thing. We just dont understand what or how something showed up on the xray unless its from her cold she had last week. I also hear this is common at St Lukes in Manila? I guess its more of a shock to both of us. We went from record breaking time to get the visa less than 2 months to 2 times longer. She dont have any symptoms of TB. Its almost heartbreaking. We were going to celebrate today. Now shes in tears and worried and now I am.

Timeline

Oh when we cancel the appointment, do we need to tell them why we cancel it and why we are waiting awhile or does SLEC let them know? Sorry one more question, I also heard the medical expires after a certain amount of time. If the worse case is the 6 months which she shouldnt have to do, do we have to pay the entire fee again? Thanks again for the help.

Timeline

Thank you very much for the response. I agree its a great thing. We just dont understand what or how something showed up on the xray unless its from her cold she had last week. I also hear this is common at St Lukes in Manila? I guess its more of a shock to both of us. We went from record breaking time to get the visa less than 2 months to 2 times longer. She dont have any symptoms of TB. Its almost heartbreaking. We were going to celebrate today. Now shes in tears and worried and now I am.

A cold will not cause issues with the x-ray to require SPUTUM, there is most likely some scarring on her lungs. All will be fine, it is just a slight detour. ;)

Oh when we cancel the appointment, do we need to tell them why we cancel it and why we are waiting awhile or does SLEC let them know? Sorry one more question, I also heard the medical expires after a certain amount of time. If the worse case is the 6 months which she shouldnt have to do, do we have to pay the entire fee again? Thanks again for the help.

No issuing telling them why you are cancelling, but no necessary. Your medical has a 6 month validity for visa purposes (has a year validity for AOS once in the USA), if all is fine after SPUTUM culture you will have a shorter time to get the visa and into the USA (no additional medical). If the culture is positive and your fiancee has to complete DOT then a new medical is required, with a 90 day validity for entering the USA... and yes another medical fee.

Timeline

Thank you again. Yea I heard SLEC is known for sending people for the sputum exams. She said there were 6 girls yesterday. Her and 3 others got sent to do it. Only 2 were cleared. So after cancelling her interview, the embassy will auto extend it? That was my big worry also. After all this work to have to start over would be devastating. I thought the petition was only good for 4 months after the USCIS approved it unless I misread it. Than you again. Yea the short setback sucks and we dont have a choice. Just heartbreaking. She has never had any problems with chest xrays until this.

Timeline

Thank you again. Yea I heard SLEC is known for sending people for the sputum exams. She said there were 6 girls yesterday. Her and 3 others got sent to do it. Only 2 were cleared. So after cancelling her interview, the embassy will auto extend it? That was my big worry also. After all this work to have to start over would be devastating. I thought the petition was only good for 4 months after the USCIS approved it unless I misread it. Than you again. Yea the short setback sucks and we dont have a choice. Just heartbreaking. She has never had any problems with chest xrays until this.

The NOA from USCIS does show a 4 month validity, but the embassy auto extends the petition validity, no matter, up to a year. This is not a concern, you will not have to start over. Relax on this.

Just a hiccup to over come.. all will be fine. :thumbs:

Many people have gone before you and had to deal with everything you are facing and guess what? Their life was saved and they got a visa on top of that. What a joyous day that must of been!! SLEC doesn't do this with any type of malice. Relax and all will be fine with the exception you will have to be flexible and positive.

Follow Sagot's recommendation and you will will be fine.

Edited by Greenbaum
Spoiler

Adjustment of Status

AOS March 5, 2014 Submitted AOS with EAD/AP package to Chicago USICS

Delivered March 8, 2014 AOS packaged delivered to USCIS drop box

Accepted March 19, 2014 Text message with receipt numbers

Biometrics April 16, 2014 Biometrics completed

EAD May 23, 2014 Employment Authorization Document approved and went to card production

TD May 23, 2014 Travel Document approved and went for card production

Receipt EAD/AP May 30, 2014 Received combo card EAD/AP

Green Card Approved July 11, 2014 Approved, no interview. Went to card production.

Green Card received July 17, 2014 GC received without interview

Removal of Conditions

Mailed I-751 Dec 16, 2015 Submitted ROC (removal of conditions)

Received Dec 18, 2015 USPS notification of successful delivery

Check Cashed Dec 21, 2015 Check was cashed

NOA-1 Issued Dec 21, 2015 NOA-1 for ROC issued

NOA-1 Issued Dec 26, 2015 NOA-1 Received

Biometrics Appt. Jan 29, 2016 Biometrics Appointment Scheduled [Completed]

Timeline

Thanks both of you. I am finally a little calmer. I have heard that also that many this happens to. The good news is by Uber, she is only 20 minutes away from St Lukes so at least she dont have the issue some do having to fly in and spend many days there. Thank you both so much for the help. I will keep you up to date also on this. Like I said, it was just a shock that anything even showed up because she is the most healthy person I have ever known and she takes great care of herself and eats right and sleeps well. I wonder how scars appear. We are debating maybe I will go there for Christmas anyway for a few weeks to be with her when the exam is done. If lucky I could actually be there for her interview also if she gets it fast enough after this. She goes for the 3 days on November 9, 10 and 11. So January 11 would be 2 months. Just nervous.

Filed: Timeline

Sorry to hear that but things happen for a reason. Just need to share something I learned about beneficiary who is required to do sputum test. It is a 3 day sputum collection and sad to note that even if the result is negative, you would have to wait for another 2 months for the culture result. This is how they process the sputum. Hope this will help with your change of plans. St Lukes I believe is the one who will reschedule the interview or you could ask them before your fiance leaves the clinic premises. And I am a little bit confused about your petition expiration coz we just received ours and it will not expire until next year(1 yr expiration to be exact) Is it case to case basis?

Timeline

Sorry to hear that but things happen for a reason. Just need to share something I learned about beneficiary who is required to do sputum test. It is a 3 day sputum collection and sad to note that even if the result is negative, you would have to wait for another 2 months for the culture result. This is how they process the sputum. Hope this will help with your change of plans. St Lukes I believe is the one who will reschedule the interview or you could ask them before your fiance leaves the clinic premises. And I am a little bit confused about your petition expiration coz we just received ours and it will not expire until next year(1 yr expiration to be exact) Is it case to case basis?

SLEC stopped being involved with cancelling or re-scheduling interviews almost 2 years ago

What type of visa are you chasing? Your profile and timeline are bare :time:

Edited by Philippines^Sagot

Timeline

Mine is the K-1 visa. Yea the 2 months sadly I knew about and she hasnt ever had TB which is why I dont understand what happened on the xray. I wish they would explain to people because my fiance is freaking out and I have no idea what to tell her. Even I am nervous.

Timeline

Mine is the K-1 visa. Yea the 2 months sadly I knew about and she hasnt ever had TB which is why I dont understand what happened on the xray. I wish they would explain to people because my fiance is freaking out and I have no idea what to tell her. Even I am nervous.

I knew yours was K-1 (even though your profile is showing HB-1 ;) may want to adjust that to K-1 ) as you kept talking about your fiancee.

As for TB and the SPUTUM culture testing; SLEC is required to follow a defined protocol from CDC. TB is a contagious disease, a person can get it from anyone. For now your fiancee should try to relax, most that come through here doing SPUTUM are found negative.

Edited by Philippines^Sagot

Timeline

Yes I didnt realize that. I updated it. Thank you. I am hoping to still go visit her for Christmas. I truly need to see my baby. Its so hard to have that happen and be so far away and not even be able to comfort her and her me. How often does this happen? Does anyone know? I have heard that SLEC this is quite common and like 99.99999% of the time they come back negative.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.