treacle1015

Their greencard error causing complications

6 posts in this topic

Hi

I became a US resident as of January 2016, however when I received my 2 year green card it was dated January 2015. (thus saying it expires January 2017)

I have submitted an I90 online to replace it with the correct date and have confirmation that this has been received and is being actioned.

My problem is that I have been advised I won't receive the correct green card until some time in March 2017 approximately.

I visited my local USCIS office, they saw the error and said that my date was correct in one system but incorrect in another. So he added lots of notes to 'his system' and advised me to be patient. I have a stamp in my passport to allow me to work till April 2017 and says I90 pending.

My issue is my drivers licence expires as per the date on my incorrect green card (Jan 2017) and I have now also received a letter advising me to start the I751 process to remove my conditions. This I can't do as I haven't been a resident for 2 years. However before I receive my correct 2 year green card , 'their system' will tell them I have not submitted my I751 and therefore risk 'the system' believing I am in the country with an expired 2 year greencard.

I have spoken to USCIS on the phone but they don't offer much help. They don't give any firm advice and just seem confused by by situation.

I'd be grateful for any advice on the following:

- should I reply to the I751 filling address with a letter explaining why I am not filing at this stage?

- re my drivers licence, any advice on getting the correct date on it?

Thank you in advance

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Brazil
Timeline

Do you have a 551 stamp on your passport? I would ask to get one with the correct expiration date, as that serves as proof of residence.

Hi

Yes I do. But it says across the top 'valid for 9 months' which takes me to 27 March 2017. It also says employment authorized to April 26, 2017 and says pending I90.

Your idea makes sense though. I don't know why he didn't just replicate the correct greencard data in my passport. I may have to visit them again.

Thanks for your response.

Rachel

The reminder letter is sent out automatically and means little. The real system for your GC knows the real dates (as your infopass confirmed) and whatever system sends out reminder letters is never updated or checked.

So don't worry about that.

I think you'll have to limp the DL along on the dates, though, which sucks.

Good luck.

AOS for my husband
8/17/10: INTERVIEW DAY (day 123) APPROVED!!

ROC:
5/23/12: Sent out package
2/06/13: APPROVED!

Thanks Harpa

I kind of thought it was some automatic computer system that threw out the letter re the I751, so glad to hear your thoughts on that.

Appreciate your response. Have a good day.

Rachel

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.