12 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: Philippines
Timeline

I'm Johnny ... Joined to get advise on what via to apply for .. K1 or marry her there and cr1 ... I have one domestic assault 10 years ago from a very violent ex wife that got mad after I filed for a divorce

Filed: Timeline

I'm Johnny ... Joined to get advise on what via to apply for .. K1 or marry her there and cr1 ... I have one domestic assault 10 years ago from a very violent ex wife that got mad after I filed for a divorce

Why did you get charged? She hit you and you hit her back? Regardless, you need all the records for that, maybe a few character reference letters and I'm going to say CR-1 only because K-1 applications with a domestic violence issue don't usually do very well. There was a thread recently and the consulate advised the fiancee that maybe getting married wasn't a good idea and they had to get a 2nd review. I'm not sure if it was approved or not.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Jamaica
Timeline

https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-129finstr.pdf

Please see the above link...page 3 of the instructions to the I-129f form as the https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/files/form/i-129f.pdf page 5 says.

http://www.visajourney.com/content/compare

The guides have a helpful comparison chart.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ecuador
Timeline

Thread is moved from Introducing Our Members to the "What Visa Do I Need" forum.

06-04-2007 = TSC stamps postal return-receipt for I-129f.

06-11-2007 = NOA1 date (unknown to me).

07-20-2007 = Phoned Immigration Officer; got WAC#; where's NOA1?

09-25-2007 = Touch (first-ever).

09-28-2007 = NOA1, 23 days after their 45-day promise to send it (grrrr).

10-20 & 11-14-2007 = Phoned ImmOffs; "still pending."

12-11-2007 = 180 days; file is "between workstations, may be early Jan."; touches 12/11 & 12/12.

12-18-2007 = Call; file is with Division 9 ofcr. (bckgrnd check); e-prompt to shake it; touch.

12-19-2007 = NOA2 by e-mail & web, dated 12-18-07 (187 days; 201 per VJ); in mail 12/24/07.

01-09-2008 = File from USCIS to NVC, 1-4-08; NVC creates file, 1/15/08; to consulate 1/16/08.

01-23-2008 = Consulate gets file; outdated Packet 4 mailed to fiancee 1/27/08; rec'd 3/3/08.

04-29-2008 = Fiancee's 4-min. consular interview, 8:30 a.m.; much evidence brought but not allowed to be presented (consul: "More proof! Second interview! Bring your fiance!").

05-05-2008 = Infuriating $12 call to non-English-speaking consulate appointment-setter.

05-06-2008 = Better $12 call to English-speaker; "joint" interview date 6/30/08 (my selection).

06-30-2008 = Stokes Interrogations w/Ecuadorian (not USC); "wait 2 weeks; we'll mail her."

07-2008 = Daily calls to DOS: "currently processing"; 8/05 = Phoned consulate, got Section Chief; wrote him.

08-07-08 = E-mail from consulate, promising to issue visa "as soon as we get her passport" (on 8/12, per DHL).

08-27-08 = Phoned consulate (they "couldn't find" our file); visa DHL'd 8/28; in hand 9/1; through POE on 10/9 with NO hassles(!).

Timeline

Why did you get charged? She hit you and you hit her back? Regardless, you need all the records for that, maybe a few character reference letters and I'm going to say CR-1 only because K-1 applications with a domestic violence issue don't usually do very well. There was a thread recently and the consulate advised the fiancee that maybe getting married wasn't a good idea and they had to get a 2nd review. I'm not sure if it was approved or not.

Never, have I hit any woman , in my entire life... But yes she hit me more and more ... Throwing things at me ,.. And last straw she tried to stab me as I ducked and dodged ... Just because I finally agreed with her threats of a divorce , but only ask we have a not messy divorce ,.... and i filed for divorce the following day, because she tried to stab me , but being a kind hearted person I am , i never got the police involved .. Because I didn't want my kids to see their mom go to jail ...

Timeline

Yes , the following day after she called police .. On me for going home without knowledge of an order of protection ... And trying to keep her calm , and not get police involved for my kids sake and not wanting the neighbors seeing police at my house ..I was still Askjng her to move out of my house , this was the day she got served divorce papers .. Threaten me w saying I'm going to jail for coming in my house , I did snatch her phone away ... And she attacked me to take it back .... So Aftet pulling my self up of the floor .. I reached up and threw it in the fish tank .... She walk next door and called the police ... While I took a quick shower ... Grabbed a few changes in outfits... She did nothing after that but waited for police ... And as I left a very pissed off guy from the court dropped the notice of my filing for divorce , saying she has been running and Hiding from him several days .... And she yelled out at him "my lawyer says I don't have to take any F thing from you ! " He said "you've been served". ! And threw paperd at the ground .. And left ... I called home a few times , she hands the phone to police and the officer told me I can't come back ... I said its my house .. Anyhow, I wasn't able to be there to explain the situation. , due to emergency call for my work .. ... went to the police station next day , to ask for an order of protection , and press charges on her ... And I was arrested on the spot and held 24 hours , and served the order of protection from her while I was already in Jail

Ah, I see.. Yes, you have a problem. A domestic violence charge and an Order of Protection. You're going to need all the records for that. Police case records, courts records and so on. Did you have to take any classes? Counseling and so on? Grabbing her phone and throwing in the fish tank was a big mistake. You didn't hit her but that is considered an act of violence. Men have to learn. If a wife, fiance or girlfriend hit them they need to not do anything back and report the incident. The relationship should be done.

Edited by rcripps

Timeline

Yes took classes ... Crazy thing is she's the one who needed them way more ... Just due to her behavior I felt she would eventually leave .. But being from a family that never has divorces ... I just didn't know .... , I learned a very very very difficult and expensive lesson , lost everything I owned that day , and even the things I owed money on Like the house and her car , I've had to pay off only for her to get to keep all that as well... Lost way way more than everything all due to that one day , And when I finally feel like I'm doing good again , I own a house outright , and have a large savings again finally ..... This record still haunts me ... Very sad about it .. So do you think I should not try a K1 ? And just marry her there and go for a Cr1 ?? Visa ??

Have copies of the certificates of completion for the classes plus and follow up court appearances that you might have had for proving you did what you were supposed to. I am sorry that you lost everything. I would think that a CR-1 is your better option. You also might want to consult an immigration lawyer that has dealt with cases like yours. I think you should be OK. If you had not had any problems since 10 years ago, including DUI, then I think you should do fine.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.