andy1044

AOS October 2016 filers

2,316 posts in this topic

9 minutes ago, James777 said:

Hi guys,

I am in F2A category. Already received EAD 01-10-2016, but still no AP card. The status is always same: On December 29, 2016, we approved your Form I-131 . We will mail your approval notice. 

Is this normal ?

Thanks for any advice 

Check the back of your card. Does it say "serves as i-512 advance parole" (or something very similar)?

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I entered on a K1 visa but we did have an interview on Tuesday past and was approved!! :) The officer was very friendly and verified our documents, asked my husband how we met (during this time she interacted with both of us throughout the story), wanted copies of joint bank statements, bills, proof of us at the same address... and looked at our wedding photos, pointed out some family and asked who they were - that was it. Very relaxed and said we made her job easy. Over prepared is better than under prepared.

We did have discussion about my EAD/AP and she said with all the upheaval at the borders and since it is ultimately up to the CBP officer to have the last say on your reentry using the AP, she would strongly advise against using it if at all possible. Wait for the Green Card to arrive before making plans to leave the country. Makes sense. Good luck to you all!!

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Jamaica
Timeline
33 minutes ago, James777 said:

Hi guys,

I am in F2A category. Already received EAD 01-10-2016, but still no AP card. The status is always same: On December 29, 2016, we approved your Form I-131 . We will mail your approval notice. 

Is this normal ?

Thanks for any advice 

Check the bottom of ur card serves as I512 advanced parole. 

Pkg Sent:9/13/16

Received at Chicago Lock box: 9/16/16

Received Texts: 9/30/16

NOA1 Received: 10/4/16 : Receipt Date of 9/19/16

Bio Appt letter Received: 10/12/16

Bio Appt completed: 10/24/16

Card in production: 11/17/16

Combo Card received 11/25/16

Timeline
19 hours ago, Juliak said:

Yes, I am! My dad is a green card holder. But I turned 21 last sunday and I'm praying to not have USCIS switch my category to F2B

You can opt out you know? By just writing a letter. https://www.uscis.gov/sites/default/files/USCIS/Laws/Memoranda/Static_Files_Memoranda/Archives 1998-2008/2006/cspa6andv061406.pdf

Congrats on your AoS approval!

25 minutes ago, r72lrb said:

We did have discussion about my EAD/AP and she said with all the upheaval at the borders and since it is ultimately up to the CBP officer to have the last say on your reentry using the AP, she would strongly advise against using it if at all possible. Wait for the Green Card to arrive before making plans to leave the country. 

^ Quite surprised to hear that they would say this, following receipt of my EAD/AP a couple of weeks ago, my wife and I have booked a trip to London to visit my family at the end of the month. I appreciate that there could be cause for concern for anyone who has visited, or who has citizenship of, any of the middle-eastern countries that were arbitrarily defined in the recent so-called "travel ban". Especially as there is now talk from the Trump administration about potentially issuing a revised executive order. If that were to come into force while travelling outside of the states, while in AP status, I suppose then it could cause issues getting back through.

Edited by rostofer

AoS timeline
10/11/2016 sent
 I-485, I-131 and I-765 via Fedex overnight
10/13/2016 tracking reported as delivered (also the date shown as received on My USCIS website)
10/18/2016 email/txt notification of receipt of application (Notice of Action I-797 in the post)
10/28/2016 received NOA for biometrics appt
11/07/2016 biometrics appt

01/28/2017 online status for EAD updated to "New Card Is Being Produced"

Timeline
On 1/31/2017 at 0:43 PM, kayflex said:

I just received approval letter but stated ead card will be send seperately. Do you have idea how soon?base on your experience

45 minutes ago, p-ana said:

Check the back of your card. Does it say "serves as i-512 advance parole" (or something very similar)?

Shows on the front of my card at the bottom

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: China
Timeline
1 hour ago, p-ana said:

49 minutes ago, Chardon Ne' said:

Yes, The bottom of card say serves as I-512 advance parole. What does this mean ?

Thanks 

Timeline
4 minutes ago, James777 said:

Yes, The bottom of card say serves as I-512 advance parole. What does this mean ?

Thanks 

Its your AP/EAD combo card... congrats

Timeline
Just now, p-ana said:

That's a combo card, it's both the ead and ap

Spoiler

:o:o

1 minute ago, p-ana said:

That's a combo card, it's both the ead and ap

:oReally? I remember I received a letter too says they will mail AP separately when I got EAD. I will check that letter again.

That means I check my USCIS status everyday for my AP like dumb 

Timeline
Just now, James777 said:

Thanks.

Oh, my god. Finally I can go back to my country....

Good luck for you.

Thanks and You are welcome. Its not dumb, usually only one or the others will update t first. At some point though the status will at least change to approved. 

Timeline
2 minutes ago, Chardon Ne' said:

Thanks and You are welcome. Its not dumb, usually only one or the others will update t first. At some point though the status will at least change to approved. 

Yes, It says  we approved your Form I-131 . We will mail your approval notice .

I thought there is AP card will be mailed .

Timeline
6 minutes ago, Chardon Ne' said:

Does that mean I only carry my EAD when I go back to my country ?

Thanks

Timeline
23 minutes ago, rostofer said:

Congrats on your AoS approval!

^ Quite surprised to hear that they would say this, following receipt of my EAD/AP a couple of weeks ago, my wife and I have booked a trip to London to visit my family at the end of the month. I appreciate that there could be cause for concern for anyone who has visited, or who has citizenship of, any of the middle-eastern countries that were arbitrarily defined in the recent so-called "travel ban". Especially as there is now talk from the Trump administration about potentially issuing a revised executive order. If that were to come into force while travelling outside of the states, while in AP status, I suppose then it could cause issues getting back through.

Thanks! :)

Yes I hear you... however, I don't have citizenship or any ties whatsoever to those listed countries. The officer said USCIS can say one thing (you're all clear, all day long) but an on the spot CBP officer can say the opposite. You're never guaranteed reentry with AP. It's a hope for the best scenario - granted, most of the time it is okay. I'm a travel agent and I've heard a lot of crazy surprising scenarios as of late so I'd just prefer not to leave anything open for interpretation. And yes there is that - what orders could be put in place while you're outside the country?! It only means waiting a couple extra weeks for me so I'm okay with that. By the time my combo card arrived it was 2 days before my interview. Wish you a wonderful trip home and easy reentry!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.