syndreamer

My journey so far....K1 Visa

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

I've only posted in other threads about my predicament, but I feel it's time I display the whole picture and receive insight.

So back in late March 2015, I was introduced to my current fiancee by her sister who already lives in the US. (Red Flag from CO).

Me and Thong started talking via email and Facebook and I entertained the thought of visiting Vietnam for my birthday on 2nd week of May.

I didn't have enough funds since I was starting my new job, but a friend helped pay for that, in which I paid him back later (possible Red flag)

Due to work constraints, I could only go for 12 days, me and Thong spent a lot of time touring HCMC and getting to know each other, met her family, I kissed her on my birthday and we managed over 300 pictures. She loves selfies with me in it.

Come back, continue talking on Viber and Facebook, we reflected on our trip and we professed our love for each other

June 27th I proposed to her over the phone, and via Email for embassy purposes. She says yes.

We plan engagement party and my eventual 2nd trip August 28, 2015, but due to work constraints at the time I can only go for 9 days.

2nd trip (paid by family friend, but then I paid him back later): Engagement party was a blast, all the family members came along with her friends (she has a lot). Next day we took off for a engagement honeymoon vacay at Mui Ne

Came home, organized the paperwork using this bits and pieces from this forum and from what my immigration lawyer says.

Mailed package along with I-129F in Sept 2015.

Approved by USCIS and moved on to NVC in Jan. 2016.

Interview date set for July 2016.

Me and Thong continue exchanging correspondence, sent presents to each other, and sent her money to help with her university tuition.

3rd Trip (I pay with my own money): We studied up on the pre-set number of questions that may be asked by the CO, I accompany Thong as moral support to her interview. Interview lasted 5 mins, CO was terse and unforgiving and gave us a blue slip. They believe the relationship was a fraud due to a number of red flags. Left a bitter taste in my mouth and lawyer suddenly was absent and didn't bother to return any calls. So I fired him, but retained his secretary because she was willing to help. (July 2016)

The blue slip wanted information on her sister in the USA, we also learned from the CO, that the family friend that was paying for my first two trips was previously married to her sister (BIG RED FLAG), but they divorced 4 years ago. CO even asked Thong what her sister in the US did for a living. I guess nail salons are also a red flag as well.

Blue slip asked for "Family Relationships form" from both her family and mine. Her family list is long, mine is incredibly short. Both parents are deceased and my brother lives in Texas. Thong has a lot of sisters and cousins, uncles, etc. Only one sister lives in the US. Both her parents are alive. (Done)

Blue slip also asked for an affidavit from her sister in the US describing how she introduced me to Thong. (Done)

My financial situation is a lot better than it was last year. I received two promotions and make well above the poverty line. I work for the State of Florida in the IT industry. The CO did ask me that in person during the interview. I had a feeling he didn't believe me due to my previous tax returns. I feel I should wait until I file my 2016 tax returns and then show them that. I do not know if my financial history from the last 3-4 years would come into question.

I'm planning my 4th trip to Vietnam. I just bought the plane ticket and due to work promotions, I get more vacation and sick time off than before. So I'm taking a 3 week X-mas vacation to Vietnam. We plan to visit Nha Trang and her hometown in Quang Nhai to see her parents.

I feel that this case may take awhile, even though our hopes were crushed during the first interview, it didn't change our relationship at all. Just made it more stronger. If there's something I'm missing, feel free to give me some insight or ask me questions. I'll answer the best I can.

Thanks!

Lee

• 6 months later...

Update: So she had a 2nd interview during our 4th trip and it was enough to where they didn't need any more evidence from us. The case paperwork is under final review by the Consulate, but man it's unbearably long. Has anyone else ever had to wait for a final decision after being denied the first time? Last interview date was Dec 12th 2016. I email them at least once a month for a status update, but they all tell me the same thing.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Vietnam
Timeline

Lee, thanks so much for sharing your story!  I've just begun this journey myself.  Me and Tuyen were engaged in February of this year, and I have sent in the paperwork.  Still waiting on NOA1 status.  I certainly hope that you get everything taken care of soon.  And I hope ours is a LOT easier.  I've been pretty meticulous about saving receipts, boarding passes, and pictures.  Best of Luck in your K1.

Regards,

Mike & Tuyen

Mike & Tuyen

First Meeting

Second Meeting

Engaged

I-129F Sent :

I-129F NOA1 :

I-129F NOA2 :                              

NVC # Received

Interview Date   

Interview Result

Visa in Hand 

POE SFO                        

Married!!!!!!!

AOS/EAP/AP Mailed

AOS/EAP/AP NOA1

Biometrics Portland

Interview Portland

2016-09-30TuyenMike.jpg.07bbb29ef41b057de949396e27a8063c.jpg

2017-02-14

2017-02-18

2017-04-17

2017-04-24

2017-09-18

2017-09-30

2017-10-20

APPROVED!!!!!

2017-10-28

2017-11-14

2017-12-04

2018-02-02

2018-02-17

2018-03-14

2018-05-10

• 2 months later...
Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Vietnam
Timeline
16 hours ago, syndreamer said:

Update: 6 months later, still no word from AP on whether a final decision has been made. Email them every month asking for case update and they give me the same answer. Time to lawyer up.

Have you contacted your congressman? That seems to help quite a bit in certain cases where they are dragging their feet.

Steps Before Citizenship:

Spoiler

K-1

09/24/2016 - I-129F Packet Submitted, 09/26/2016 - NOA1, 10/27/2016 - RFE Received

11/02/2016 - RFE Reply sent

11/09/2016 - NOA2

11/21/2016 - NVC Receives packet

12/12/2016 - Case left NVC for BKK Consulate

01/10/2017 - After travelling via the slowest route possible (likely via carrier pigeon) BKK Consulate receives packet

01/16/2017 - Packet 3 Instructions received 02/28/2017 - Packet 3 Instructions Completed

03/05/2017 - Packet 4 received (now the fun begins) --> 03/29/2017 - Interview disappears from the schedule on the embassy website -->03/30/2017 - She goes to her interview, is told they need to verify her documents since she is Vietnamese interviewing in Thailand, receives a 221G with 'Verification of Viet documents' as the reason. Gave back her passport.-->03/31/2017-04/04/2017 - Case is being continuously touched. We suspect that our case was approved at this point but they didn't have her passport. --> 04/10/2017 (10 days after interview) - Email emabssy to inquire about updates and if there was anything we could do to move things forward. (3h later) - She is told that she is approved and to expect her passport soon (how when they don't have it in their posession?) After clarification, instructed to send our passport to them. Ship out passport in a rush to beat Songkran (which failed) --> 04/11/2017 - Passport at embassy according to Thai Post Office --> 04/17/2017 - Emailed to confirm they received the passport. They issued an evasive answer about Songkran backlog (they love evasive non-committal answers)--> 04/24/2017  Evening - Case changes from Immigrant Visa to Non-Immigrant Visa and a new case created date is given --? 04/25/2017 morning  (less than 12h later) - Case flies through Ready -->Admin Processing --> Issued

04/26/2017 - Checks mail, passport is there. No mention of it being mailed out. 

05/02/2017 - Arrives in the USA, without Issue

06/17/2017 - Marriage!

AOS

7/01/17- Mailed AOS packet to Chicago

7/03/17- Packet received

07/07/17 - SMS and Email notification of NOA1 for AoS, EAD, and AP

07/13/17 - Received paper copies of NOA1 for AoS, EAD, and AP

07/21/17 - Received Biometrics Appointment Letter

08/02/17 - Biometrics Appointment Completed 

11/04/17 - EAD Approved - New Card Is Ready For Production

11/09/17 - AP Approved, EAD - Card Produced Awaiting Mailing, EAD - Card Has Been Mailed.

11/13/17 - EAD/AP Combo Card Received. 

11/05/2018 - Received SMS Notification that Interview Has Been Scheduled

11/10/2018 - Received Paper Interview Notice

12/11/2018 - Interview Date
12/12/2018 - Approved

ROC

11/18/2020 - Mailed ROC packet

11/20/2020 - Packet received

01/16/2021 - Received NOA1 

05/28/2021 - Biometrics Waived

08/04/2021 - ROC Approved

08/11/2021 - GC received

Citizenship

09/15/2021 - N-400 Filed Electronically, NOA-1 received, Biometrics Waiver Received

07/01/2022 - Interview Notice Received
08/10/2022 - Interview Date, Approved, Oath Ceremony

• 1 month later...

Update: After going to Vietnam to spend time with her and to ask the embassy what's taking so long on our case, I got the run-around again by a regular consular officer saying they'll get to it whenever. So I firmly asked them to speak with the Chief consular officer to see if he has anything to say. Luckily he did, and gave us both a thorough interview for an hour. After that was done, we passed the interview. But since it's been a year, she has to retake her medical exam and fill out another DS160 form online, as well as acquiring a background check before she can get her visa. That should be easy, I'm so happy we passed the interview.

Also to note, we were both surprised when they popped an interview on us, they asked us at least a hundred questions, and correlated answers between the both of us. It was incredibly harrowing because I was being interviewed by the Chief Consular officer who never smiled and was stern. But I told them the truth on every question and so did she.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.