Ruka

SSN from old GC and new(?) SSN from current marriage-based GC

7 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello everyone, I'm new to the forums and I have a question. Please forgive me if I placed this in the wrong place since I'm not entirely sure where I should be posting this.

So here's my situation:

I'll be filing for an AOS from getting married to my US citizen husband while I'm in the US on a B1/B2 visa.

I haven't been granted a green card yet but for the sake of my question let's say I have (or haven't, I dunno when having an SSN is relevant, before or after AOS filing) and I apply for an SSN...

The thing is, I already have a SSN from an old green card granted to me when I was a child.

(If it matters: I got it from when my parents lived in the US for a period of time but sometime later we returned to our country of origin and my dad gave up our green cards.)

It's the kind of SSN that doesn't have notes stating "Valid for work...etc" or "Not valid for employment"

As far as I'm aware of, my SSN is the regular(?) kind that US citizens/permanent residents are given. It even looks like my brother's SSN card and he's a US citizen (for being born in America).

So, my question is this: What do I do with my old SSN when I'm granted a green card for my current marriage?

Do I just use my old SSN like normal since I hear SSNs never expire?

Or do I surrender it (is there such a thing..?) since it;s old and was granted from an old green card and I can't use it for my new green card?

Or do I apply and just get issued another SSN and simply pretend I never had that old SSN? I'm pretty sure it's not legal to have two SSNs and I'm afraid I'll get into trouble down the line if the government somehow finds out I have two since my namealbeit my maiden oneis already in the "system"

If anyone could give me any suggestions as to what I should do, any help would be very much appreciated!

SSNs are issued for life. Use your existing number for all official purposes.

You have done nothing wrong.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

SSNs are issued for life. Use your existing number for all official purposes.

You have done nothing wrong.

Thank you for your reply! It reassured me a good deal.

Also, another question:

If I still continue using the same old SSN, it still has my maiden name on it. Can I go have a new/updated SSN card issued with my new married name even if AOS is still pending?

My husband is in the military, and we're looking to have me registered into DEERS so I can have a military ID and get the benefits along with it (Tricare, etc) as soon as possible but I need to present an SSN (although some bases don't require it for foreign spouses, some insist that they do and I'm just covering all my bases in case I'm forced to present an SSN) but I haven't changed the name on my SSN yet so I was wondering if this would cause any problems.

I'm sorry, I'm really paranoid with the legalities with when I can or can't use the SSN seeing as it's old.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Moved from WST-based AOS to SSN Forum~

~Inquiry about SSN~

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Canada
Timeline

Thank you for your reply! It reassured me a good deal.

Also, another question:

If I still continue using the same old SSN, it still has my maiden name on it. Can I go have a new/updated SSN card issued with my new married name even if AOS is still pending?

My husband is in the military, and we're looking to have me registered into DEERS so I can have a military ID and get the benefits along with it (Tricare, etc) as soon as possible but I need to present an SSN (although some bases don't require it for foreign spouses, some insist that they do and I'm just covering all my bases in case I'm forced to present an SSN) but I haven't changed the name on my SSN yet so I was wondering if this would cause any problems.

I'm sorry, I'm really paranoid with the legalities with when I can or can't use the SSN seeing as it's old.

To make changes to your SSN, the SSA will ask about legal status in the US in addition to your marriage certificate showing new name.

Your SSN might still show you in the SSA records as a permanent resident from your old, abandoned, GC but you'll have to prove it now.

Since AOS is concluded in a few months, your best bet is to wait till you have the new GC or the I-551 stamp then make the changes.

You could also try your luck with the SSA and see if you can wing it but I would advice against it, and especially since you say you're paranoid about illegalities.

Good luck.

P.S. Hopefully you haven't used this SSN to claim US citizenship on any form. You'll be forgiven if you have worked illegally with it, the tax man careth not, but claiming to be a citizen is highly frowned upon.

Edited by Mounat

If you have an EAD in your married name then you can change your name with the SSA based on that.

Widow/er AoS Guide | Have AoS questions? Read (some) answers here

AoS

Day 0 (4/23/12) Petitions mailed (I-360, I-485, I-765)
2 (4/25/12) Petitions delivered to Chicago Lockbox
11 (5/3/12) Received 3 paper NOAs
13 (5/5/12) Received biometrics appointment for 5/23
15 (5/7/12) Did an unpleasant walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX
45 (6/7/12) Received email & text notification of an interview on 7/10
67 (6/29/12) EAD production ordered
77 (7/9/12) Received EAD
78 (7/10/12) Interview
100 (8/1/12) I-485 transferred to Vermont Service Centre
143 (9/13/12) Contacted DHS Ombudsman
268 (1/16/13) I-360, I-485 consolidated and transferred to Dallas
299 (2/16/13) Received second interview letter for 3/8
319 (3/8/13) Approved at interview
345 (4/3/13) I-360, I-485 formally approved; green card production ordered
353 (4/11/13) Received green card

Naturalisation

Day 0 (1/3/18) N-400 filed online

Day 6 (1/9/18) Walk-in biometrics in Fort Worth, TX

Day 341 (12/10/18) Interview was scheduled for 1/14/19

Day 376 (1/14/19) Interview

Day 385 (1/23/19) Denied

Day 400 (2/7/19) Denial revoked; N-400 approved; oath ceremony set for 2/14/19

Day 407 (2/14/19) Oath ceremony in Dallas, TX

To make changes to your SSN, the SSA will ask about legal status in the US in addition to your marriage certificate showing new name.

Your SSN might still show you in the SSA records as a permanent resident from your old, abandoned, GC but you'll have to prove it now.

Since AOS is concluded in a few months, your best bet is to wait till you have the new GC or the I-551 stamp then make the changes.

You could also try your luck with the SSA and see if you can wing it but I would advice against it, and especially since you say you're paranoid about illegalities.

Good luck.

P.S. Hopefully you haven't used this SSN to claim US citizenship on any form. You'll be forgiven if you have worked illegally with it, the tax man careth not, but claiming to be a citizen is highly frowned upon.

Okay, I'll play it safe and just wait for my new GC before I update it with my new name. Thank you!

And I actually did use the SSN once and it's to get a driver's license a few years back but that's about it. Was that wrong and will that be on record or something for being illegal?

I haven't used it for work and I didn't indicate that I was a US citizen either when I got the DL since I think I had presented my passport at the time with a B1/B2 visa.

I didn't know about SSNs and what-not back then (and didn't really care about SSNs either since I never had the intention or expected to move back to the US) so I didn't even think twice about it and it was actually my dad who had given me the number for the form. He wanted me to have a driver's license just in case it was needed/for emergencies whenever I visited the States thereafter. But I never got in trouble while I had the DL though like get tickets and what-not since I didn't really drive around.

If you have an EAD in your married name then you can change your name with the SSA based on that.

I'll do this and wait since it's probably the safest way to go. Thank you!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.