Carcharodont

K1 Visa Application sent to Guangzhou Consulate, need help with next steps

12 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: China
Timeline

Hi Everyone,

I am the petitioner and our application has been approved, we've been assigned both a case number and invoice identification number, and our application has been sent to the Guangzhou Consulate (first it was ready, now it is undergoing administrative processing). I know that the Guangzhou Consulate will send me the Packet 3 (her address is in care of mine), but I am wanting to know what all can I get done for my fiancee to help expedite the processing of our application and scheduling of the interview date?

I've sent her a copy of the master binder I created that contains the entire I129F application, including an I-134 affidavit of support (and all supporting documents) as well. I have her focusing on getting the notarized letter of no criminal record (police certificate) and notarized letter regarding the details of her birth (birth certificate). I have downloaded Packet 3 and could theoretically begin filling everything out (DS-160, DS230, Resumes, etc), but anyone familiar with the process and can help step by step (or point to a guide), and tell me what and where to file would be greatly appreciated!

I focused probably too much on frontloading of the I129F and apologize for lack of due diligence in researching everything after NOA2 approval (we were biting our nails regarding potential RFEs or denials for obscure reasons). Thanks again and look forward to hearing everyone's input!

Fall 2010 - Met at DiWali Indian Festival as grad students
September 2011 - Became coworkers at school
October 2011 - Began our relationship
August 1, 2012 - Relationship became long distance
June 30, 2014 - I moved to New England w/family
July 15, 2015 - Bought a plane ticket for her visit before she left back for China due to expiring OPT
August 31, 2015 - She goes back to China
April 2016 - filed for my US Passport, began preparing I-129F for K-1 Visa Petition
May 2016 - applied for my Chinese Visa
May 23, 2016 - Purchased Ritani engagement ring and plane ticket
June 3, 2016 - Her ring arrived!
June 4, 2016 - Left for China!
June 9, 2016 - Became engaged!
June 22, 2016 - Left China (sadly)
July 21, 2016 - Sent I-129F to Lewisville, TX (USPS Express Overnight w/return receipt)
July 22, 2016 - Arrived at USCIS
July 27, 2016 - Check cashed; received NOA1, sent to California Service Center
August 1, 2016 - Received NOA1 hardcopy from USCIS
September 9, 2016 - Received online notification of NOA2 from USCIS California Service Center
September 20, 2016 - Received Case Number

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

I think your fiancee will need the notarized marital status certificate (single, divorced) when she gets Packet 3 because the validity of certificate is not very long. She can apply for visa now (DS-160), submit it and print out the confirmation page. Once she gets Packet 3, she can submit required documents, pay visa fee, schedule interview (or the Consulate schedules for you), print out interview confirmation page and take to schedule a medical, wait for Packet 4 (email), gather all documents and go interview. Well, those are the information I got after researching. We are still waiting for Packet 3.

Filed: Lift. Cond. (pnd) Country: China
Timeline

For Packet 3, the only thing you will do is prepare the following

1. 2 Passport Style Photos

2. Copy her Personal page of her passport (the one with her picture)

3. DS-160 confirmation page (do not use DS-230, this is for DV Lottery, and Cuban Family Reunification applicants)

4. You will also need to return the Packet 3 instructions that were mailed.

Here is a picture of Packet 3 (http://imgur.com/iIxkC7Z)

Packet 4 is where the large amount of leg-work is required. Packet 4 will be downloaded from the ustraveldocs website. (http://imgur.com/P9BER1x).

Here is a direct link to Packet 4

The most important things for Packet 4, are the following.

1. Certificate of Marriageability (translated and notarized)

2. Police Certificates (translated and notarized)

3. Resume (translated and notarized)

4. Medical Exam (this can be scheduled any time in advance, but is best scheduled 1-2 weeks before the interview. The validity of the K-1 Visa is based on the Medical date) You must bring your DS-160 confirmation page or they won't admit you for the medical.

5. Birth Certificate (translated and notarized)

6. Proof of continued relationship (chat logs, additional photos, phone records, ect..)

7. Another copy of the DS-160 confirmation page

In total you will want 4 copies of the DS-160 confirmation page. This page needs to be in English for Packet 3, and Packet 4, and in Chinese and English for the Medical Exam. (My wife brought English only to her medical and they told her to provide the Chinese copy).

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

11/11/14 - Met online through eHarmony
11/12/14 - Started communication through email (1-2 emails daily)
12/20/14 - Communicating through Phone Calls and Video Calls
07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
07/18/15 - Sadly I had to return back to the US
10/01/15 - I am returning back to China to be with her again
10/11/15 - She will accompany me back on the same flight for 30 days
11/14/15 - She returns back to China
12/01/15 - I-129F Fed-Ex'd to the Lewisville address
12/03/15 - Packet signed for by the receiver
12/07/15 - NOA1 Generated
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
01/14/15 - NOA2 Generated (Approved)
01/28/16 - NVC Received (Still waiting papers for official date)
01/29/16 - NVC Case# Assigned (Still waiting papers for official date)
02/03/16 - Case Sent to Embassy
02/04/16 - Case Received by Embassy
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Received
03/03/16 - Packet 3 Sent back to Embassy
03/04/16 - DS-160 Fee paid
03/09/16 - Packet 4 Received (Documents were prepared in advance)
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th
04/05/16 - Interview Date (APPROVED!!!)

04/25/16 - POE Dallas Texas (DFW) smooth sailing through customs

04/25/16 - Arrived in Nashville, TN 10pm
04/29/16 - Marriage Certificate received
SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
11/16/16 - AoS packet mailed (i-485, i-765, i-131)
11/18/16 - AoS packet received
12/06/16 - Check Cashed
02/28/17 - EAD and AP Approved
03/02/17 - NOA2 for EAD and AP Arrived
03/02/17 - EAD/AP Card Arrived

Timeline

Hi Chris and ZhiJia,

Thanks for the wonderful information and steps! I'd sent her a full copy of the I129F application I'd sent in, which also contained several passport style photos, and a complete i134 as well. I don't know if she mailed in the Packet 3 yet or not, but I really hope she has as I don't know whether packet 3 and/or packet 4 are time sensitive upon the consulate's receipt of the petition.

Also she is currently working but her job has her working so many hours....is it better she go ahead and quit, or try to get all the papers while working? I keep telling her that if work is the issue, to just quit and I will support her for the time being as I don't want our petition to expire and frankly her current job doesn't matter compared to getting the interview done. This whole process is becoming pretty stressful and I wish I could help, but everything feels out of my hands now. :/

Also, should I have her go ahead and pay the CITIC visa fee, and will the interview be scheduled for us or will we have to select an interview date on ustraveldocs? Thanks again!

July 15, 2015 - Bought a plane ticket for her visit before she left back for China due to expiring OPT
April 2016 - filed for my US Passport, began preparing I-129F for K-1 Visa Petition
July 21, 2016 - Sent I-129F to Lewisville, TX (USPS Express Overnight w/return receipt)
September 9, 2016 - Received online notification of NOA2 from USCIS California Service Center

Timeline

Hi Chris and ZhiJia,

Thanks for the wonderful information and steps! I'd sent her a full copy of the I129F application I'd sent in, which also contained several passport style photos, and a complete i134 as well. I don't know if she mailed in the Packet 3 yet or not, but I really hope she has as I don't know whether packet 3 and/or packet 4 are time sensitive upon the consulate's receipt of the petition.

Also she is currently working but her job has her working so many hours....is it better she go ahead and quit, or try to get all the papers while working? I keep telling her that if work is the issue, to just quit and I will support her for the time being as I don't want our petition to expire and frankly her current job doesn't matter compared to getting the interview done. This whole process is becoming pretty stressful and I wish I could help, but everything feels out of my hands now. :/

Also, should I have her go ahead and pay the CITIC visa fee, and will the interview be scheduled for us or will we have to select an interview date on ustraveldocs? Thanks again!

The Passport Style photos need to be of her, and they need to be originals, not copies. You have plenty of time to do Packet 3 and Packet 4. Unless you forsee it taking more than a year to collect the documents (it shouldn't), you don't need to worry about the time it takes.

This is very hard to answer. If she is comfortable with you supporting her, and you are comfortable supporting her during the process she can definitely quit her job. But, please keep in mind, that it can take as little as 2 weeks from Packet 4, to upwards of months before the interview, and even after the interview, you have the chance to get stuck in AP for a lengthy amount of time. Most people don't have this happen, but you need to plan for it to happen as a just incase.

So if you are going to have her quit her job and support her, plan to funnel money to her in China for atleast 2 months or longer.

It is recommended to not pay the CITIC visa fee until you are working on Packet 4, but you can pay for it anytime after you have completed your DS-160. I cannot say if they will schedule, or if you will have to. Most of us had to schedule our interviews, but recently several people had their interviews scheduled for them.

Click Below to View my timeline (spoiler added to reduce visible space consumption)

Timeline to date:

07/04/15 - First Trip to China to visit her (spent time at her home, her hometown, and Beijing), Met the whole family.
12/11/15 - NOA1 Received
04/02/16 - I return to China to provide moral and emotional support as she goes to her Interview on the 5th

SSN filed somewhere after this point (exact date is not remembered, received after a 30 minute wait)
12/06/16 - Check Cashed

Timeline

Hi Chris&ZhiJia,

Photos were of her, she sent me a passport style photo of herself and I made somewhere on the order of 24 photo prints for her and myself because I didn't want at any point in the process to not have passport photos if/when they were required. Also as far as the affidavit of marrigeability, that's simply the declaration that she is single right? But isnt that for if we were to get married in China? I was looking over packet 4 instructions and saw that they require marital status certificates, but didn't see a reference to an affidavit of marrigeability, only divorce decrees and marriage certificates from a public notary in China. Thanks again for the information, she'll be heading to Wuhan soon to get many more pieces of information. I will go ahead and have her pay the CITIC fee then if she is confident she can get all the necessary information soon. Thanks again for everything!

Timeline

Hi Chris&ZhiJia,

Photos were of her, she sent me a passport style photo of herself and I made somewhere on the order of 24 photo prints for her and myself because I didn't want at any point in the process to not have passport photos if/when they were required. Also as far as the affidavit of marrigeability, that's simply the declaration that she is single right? But isnt that for if we were to get married in China? I was looking over packet 4 instructions and saw that they require marital status certificates, but didn't see a reference to an affidavit of marrigeability, only divorce decrees and marriage certificates from a public notary in China. Thanks again for the information, she'll be heading to Wuhan soon to get many more pieces of information. I will go ahead and have her pay the CITIC fee then if she is confident she can get all the necessary information soon. Thanks again for everything!

Timeline

Hi Chris&ZhiJia,

The "Single Status Certificate" is something that she will need to get issued from her local marriage registration office. It basically says that she has not registered a marriage in China, It's not listed in the requirements, but it is required, kinda like one of those unwritten documents.

Timeline to date:

12/11/15 - NOA1 Received

12/06/16 - Check Cashed

Timeline

Gotcha,

Next question: because we are currently having a back and forth of when to pay the CITIC fee. I've read previously that once the case is undergoing "Administrative Processing" we can pay the CITIC fee (after filing, sending in Packet 3). She's saying from what she is reading we have to wait for a confirmation email and Packet 4 before we can pay CITIC fee. Can you provide clarification on this, and your experience on when the fee was paid?

Just for the record, I called Guangzhou yesterday and spoke with someone, they told me not to schedule interview or pay visa fee until we receive packet 4 and confirmation email, but this person I spoke with also said we needed our resumes notarized (#######?) and no single status certificate (double #######). I trust this forum versus someone who may have been having a bad day at the office. Thanks again!

Timeline

Gotcha,

Next question: because we are currently having a back and forth of when to pay the CITIC fee. I've read previously that once the case is undergoing "Administrative Processing" we can pay the CITIC fee (after filing, sending in Packet 3). She's saying from what she is reading we have to wait for a confirmation email and Packet 4 before we can pay CITIC fee. Can you provide clarification on this, and your experience on when the fee was paid?

Just for the record, I called Guangzhou yesterday and spoke with someone, they told me not to schedule interview or pay visa fee until we receive packet 4 and confirmation email, but this person I spoke with also said we needed our resumes notarized (#######?) and no single status certificate (double #######). I trust this forum versus someone who may have been having a bad day at the office. Thanks again!

We just go approved at the Interview! I only visited her for 2.5 weeks once and wasn't able to make it to interview. So let me tell you from my experience.

We paid the CITIC fee a few days after we sent packet 3. But you can also pay it after you get the Packet 4 e-mail. You pay it online on the CGI Stanley site with UnionPay (3% fee) through their Citic Bank portal. You can use do it for her. Or you can print cgi reference number and pay at citic bank. Then you Receipt number will be attached to account as proof of payment. After you pay, it will let you select a date for interview. We choose to exit the browser at that time to see if Packet 4 assigns us a date.

So we get Packet 4 e-mail asking us to pay Visa fee if not done so, select Interview Time, and finish preparing documents. So we log back in to CGI and picked a date. Lots of appointments. Pick the 7:45 am time if you can. So I recommend don't schedule an interview as it tells you to wait for packet 4 before scheduling anyways. No need to rush things. Pick a time at least 2 weeks so you have time for medical, pick up medical results, and other documents.

Yes, bring a Resume in Chinese and English. No, I don't think it has to be notarized because it's not a government document.

At the interview, they only collected the i-134, cgi stanley appointment letter, packet 4 e-mail, unmarried status cert, police cert, and birth certificate. They did not collect or ask to see pictures, phone records, wechats, or resume. However, bring them anyways because you suppose to. Remember the i-134a must be wet signature and all government docs must be whitebooks from your local public notary.

The place is packed. There are like 20 banker like windows. You get in line to get two numbers. They call up your number. They will ask for items one at a time. Then you wait for your 2nd number to be called. It was about a 40 minute me wait. Then you go another banker like window for interview.

The interview questions are from http://www.visajourney.com/content/exampleq. More specific to us.

What is your fiance's name? How did you met? Does he speak Chinese? (a little, so guys switched to English haha, but you can also for all chinese interview I assume better to say your petitioner speaks alot of Chinese?) Who introduce you two? When did visit you? What is his birth date? Why do you like him? You been approved. Here is a visa approval letter. Let's take your fingerprints. You will get your passport with visa in a week or two. Done. Total interview time was 10 minutes. Total time was 1.5 hours.

Edited by james1520

Timeline

I wanted to add they do collect ur chinese passport, ds-160 confirmation, and 2 US passport photos at the windows 1. For the passport photos, get it done at a shop to make sure it's 2x2 on white background and meets requirements. Refer to "K1 Visa Instructions Sept. 2016" to see all documents required.

Additional interview questions. Are you affiliated with chinese communist party? Have you travel outside of china before or to US?

Like I said, the place is noisy and there are other people on windows next to you. So ask to repeat or clarify questions if needed.

Filed: Other Country: China
Timeline

We just go approved at the Interview! I only visited her for 2.5 weeks once and wasn't able to make it to interview. So let me tell you from my experience.

We paid the CITIC fee a few days after we sent packet 3. But you can also pay it after you get the Packet 4 e-mail. You pay it online on the CGI Stanley site with UnionPay (3% fee) through their Citic Bank portal. You can use do it for her. Or you can print cgi reference number and pay at citic bank. Then you Receipt number will be attached to account as proof of payment. After you pay, it will let you select a date for interview. We choose to exit the browser at that time to see if Packet 4 assigns us a date.

So we get Packet 4 e-mail asking us to pay Visa fee if not done so, select Interview Time, and finish preparing documents. So we log back in to CGI and picked a date. Lots of appointments. Pick the 7:45 am time if you can. So I recommend don't schedule an interview as it tells you to wait for packet 4 before scheduling anyways. No need to rush things. Pick a time at least 2 weeks so you have time for medical, pick up medical results, and other documents.

Yes, bring a Resume in Chinese and English. No, I don't think it has to be notarized because it's not a government document.

At the interview, they only collected the i-134, cgi stanley appointment letter, packet 4 e-mail, unmarried status cert, police cert, and birth certificate. They did not collect or ask to see pictures, phone records, wechats, or resume. However, bring them anyways because you suppose to. Remember the i-134a must be wet signature and all government docs must be whitebooks from your local public notary.

The place is packed. There are like 20 banker like windows. You get in line to get two numbers. They call up your number. They will ask for items one at a time. Then you wait for your 2nd number to be called. It was about a 40 minute me wait. Then you go another banker like window for interview.

The interview questions are from http://www.visajourney.com/content/exampleq. More specific to us.

What is your fiance's name? How did you met? Does he speak Chinese? (a little, so guys switched to English haha, but you can also for all chinese interview I assume better to say your petitioner speaks alot of Chinese?) Who introduce you two? When did visit you? What is his birth date? Why do you like him? You been approved. Here is a visa approval letter. Let's take your fingerprints. You will get your passport with visa in a week or two. Done. Total interview time was 10 minutes. Total time was 1.5 hours.

Thank you so much for sharing the experience.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.