pervez

So what are we allowed to do while under AOS?

12 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Iceland
Timeline

So, for the months that we are not do anything but sit on our butt while under AOS then I have some things to do, such as take classes and do reports for my school on the other side of the ocean(that's what I'll need an AP for but that's for another thread).

The question is, but what about things that people would need and F-1 for such as for getting Private Pilots licence at a flight school, would that be permissible while under AOS or not?

As the process does not allow a lot of fun, then my guess is that the answer would be no, but it would be nice to know.

--

See my Profile -> Signature&Story -> Story for further timeline info.

I-131 AP - Status: Completed (Expires Nov. 2008)

2007-September-18 - Mailed to Chicago

2007-November-16 - Application Approved

I-485 AOS - Status: Completed

2007-September-20 - Delivered in Chicago

2007-September-25 - Date of NOA1 for Application

MORE DETAILED TIMELINE INFO MY PROFILE UNDER "SIGNATURE & STORY"

2008-January-31 - Green Card Production Ordered

2008-February-01 - Welcome Notice Mailed

I-765 EAD - Status: Completed (Expires Nov. 2008)

2007-November-20 - Application Approved

Basically you can do anything except travel (unless you have AP) or work (unless you have EAD). If you want to learn to fly, there's nothing stopping you.

The question is, but what about things that people would need and F-1 for such as for getting Private Pilots licence at a flight school, would that be permissible while under AOS or not?

My guess is that it would be fine. Keep in mind that as a non-citizen you will need a TSA clearance to learn to fly - unless you want to fly gliders only. See: http://www.aopa.org/tsa_rule/

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Peru
Timeline

Last I knew...if you don't possess a green card, a flight school should not let you get your pilots license or even really take classes. I'd have to research to find the exact rules but there was a lot of uproar over the 09/11 perpetrators being allowed to go to the FL flight school b/c they shouldn't have...even then.

So, for the months that we are not do anything but sit on our butt while under AOS then I have some things to do, such as take classes and do reports for my school on the other side of the ocean(that's what I'll need an AP for but that's for another thread).

As the process does not allow a lot of fun, then my guess is that the answer would be no, but it would be nice to know.

this is the way the world ends

not with a bang but a whimper

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

married: jan 5, 2007

noa 1: march 2nd, 2007

interview @ tampa, fl office: april 26, 2007

green card received: may 5, 2007

removal of conditions timeline:

03/26/2009 - received in VSC

07/20/2009 - card production ordered!

Timeline
Last I knew...if you don't possess a green card, a flight school should not let you get your pilots license or even really take classes. I'd have to research to find the exact rules but there was a lot of uproar over the 09/11 perpetrators being allowed to go to the FL flight school b/c they shouldn't have...even then.

wouldn't let me edit ...

http://www.aopa.org/tsa_rule/

If you're on a J1 or M1 visa, you can go to flight school but F1 I don't think allows it. As you aren't in possession of the green card yet, you might have issues.

Edited by meow mix

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Canada
Timeline

I have been taking flight training while waiting for AOS on K3

You have to get fingerprinted again for the TSA and they will do bckground checks etc...pretty straight forward compared to getting K1 and AOS.

I soloed in Dec, had a baby later that day and have my AOS interview tomorrow.

"Never pet a burning dog." Euclid

Timeline
I have been taking flight training while waiting for AOS on K3

You have to get fingerprinted again for the TSA and they will do bckground checks etc...pretty straight forward compared to getting K1 and AOS.

I soloed in Dec, had a baby later that day and have my AOS interview tomorrow.

hmm the TSA policy makes it sound like you can't ... and one of the flight school sites I found said you had to either have a J1 or M1. Maybe it depends on the school :whistle:

[ts eliot]

aos timeline:

While I honestly can't bother to wade through the TSA rule at this late hour - you can always independently do ground school. When I learned 20 yrs ago we used the Cessna private pilot course - I'm not sure what's in use now, but you can always study an appropriate flight manual. You're going to have to do it sooner or later. And you can begin to prepare for the written test. Get the latest copy of the FARs and AIM - good reference material too.

I-129F

9-18-06 mailed I-129F to Texas !!!

10-02-06 NOA1 date CSC

12-26-06 APPROVED NOA2!!!

02-20-07 K1 VISA APPROVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

05-12-07 MARRIED !!!!!!

AOS

06-11-07 mailed package !!!!

06-18-07 NOAs for I-485, I-765, I-131

09-21-07 GC received!!!!!

I-751 - gathering documents to send Jun 09

06-02-09 mail I-751 package !!!

06-05-09 I-751 rec'd at VSC - the clock starts now

06-08-09 I-751 NOA date

07-09-09 Biometrics

10-20-09 date of approval letter, rec'd 10-24-09

Timeline

The TSA online application specifies that K1 is fine but did not mention K3. However, I applied anyway and it was all good. Your flight school will have been given specific training on how to deal with alien flight students. If they don't know about it they are in contravention of the law.

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Chile
Timeline

Kingofbankk,

What flight school did you go to?? My husband is waiting for his greencard (AOS approved waiting on name check) and the flight school that he wants to go to won't even speak to him till he has his greencard in hand. My husband has was a pilot in Chile. HELP any info is good!!

6/23/06 - Sent AOS & EAD

7/03/06 - NOA on both

7/28/06 - Biometrics appointment

9/15/06 - EAD approved

9/21/06 - EAD received

11/15/06 - Interview - Approved pending name check

2/22/07 - Called USCIS - still in the processing times, have to wait till processing dates read after

8/3/06 to call back

3/16/06 - Called USCIS again - should receive something in the mail within 45 days answering

my "What's taking so long" question

3/22/07 - Received letter from USCIS stating that they are waiting for the name check to clear -

Wish they would send us some actual usefull information

4/06/07 - Infopass Appt. - Told that name check had cleared about a week ago but have to wait till

May 15 till we could go up to speak to an immigration officer

4/27/07 - AOS Touched

4/28/07 - EAD Touched

4/30/07 - Email saying Welcome Letter sent 4/27/07 FINALLY!!!!!!!!!

5/02/07 - Email saying Card Production ordered

5/04/07 - Welcome Letter received

5/04/07 - Email saying Approval Notice Sent

5/10/07 - Greencard received

Timeline
Kingofbankk,

What flight school did you go to?? My husband is waiting for his greencard (AOS approved waiting on name check) and the flight school that he wants to go to won't even speak to him till he has his greencard in hand. My husband has was a pilot in Chile. HELP any info is good!!

I was training at teh Aeroclub at Maxwell Air Force Base in Montgomery Alabama. the flight school at Montgomery airport had no problem with me when i talked to them too.

He should not even think about training with a school that is too lazy to understand these regulations...how well are thye maintaiing their aircraft?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.