Ethan808

Question 18

10 posts in this topic

Hi, wanted to get some detail on the infamous question 18. It asks about if you met in the last 2 years. The next part asks you to write about the details of your meeting. Does anyone know:

1. Do they want details of our original meeting? Or are they still asking about the last time we met in person?

2. Why does everyone say to write a one page description? All I see is one question and a tiny box.

Want to make sure I get all this right. Thanks!!

Ethan

1. Just last meeting, and it has to have occured within two years prior to filling the petition.

2. Well most people write everything on a seperate page and include evidence of the meeting. It isnt enough to say that you have met, you also need to show it.

What i did was write a cover letter to a packet of evidence of our last meeting. The cover letter included the details and what was included as evidence. I paper cliped it to the copies of evidence that I had.

keTiiDCjGVo

Tip:

Use Q18 of the I-129F petition to describe in some detail of how you met in the required 2 year period that established the relationship. The evidence you then submit should support those details. Boarding passes, passport stamps, hotel/credit card receipts, rental receipts if ever lived together etc etc are primary evidence. Photos are secondary which support the primary evidence. What one should be aiming for is creating an image in the minds eye of the adjudicator......a complete picture. Look outside the box for evidence that shows you both in the same place at the same time. Each case is different and one should submit evidence accordingly, not just rely on the standard unofficial list.

Whilst evidence of an ongoing relationship is not a requirement at the initial filing stage, it can be beneficial to those from high fraud countries (eg the philipines) to do so, or if there is anything that could be a red flag that may cause issues at interview stage. This evidence should always be very carefully scrutinised especially emails & chat, to make sure there is nothing mentioned that may be construed in a different way then it is meant. Also make sure that any photo evidence submitted of any ceremony cannot be mistaken for a marriage ceremony which has in the past caused issues and denials.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Turkey
Timeline
Hi, wanted to get some detail on the infamous question 18. It asks about if you met in the last 2 years. The next part asks you to write about the details of your meeting. Does anyone know:

1. Do they want details of our original meeting? Or are they still asking about the last time we met in person?

2. Why does everyone say to write a one page description? All I see is one question and a tiny box.

Want to make sure I get all this right. Thanks!!

Ethan

Hey Ethan,

I wanted to keep it simple and submitted a brief reply. Like you, I found the box small. I described in two sentences how/where we met and included photos of us during my visit last fall.

However, there wasn't enough room to type the complete address(es) on the form. I submitted a second page to the G325 which included the full address(es), as requested. In Turkey, some street names are long.

MM and MS

San Francisco and Istanbul

I-129F Received (CSC): February 21, 2007

Filing Fee Check Cashed: February 26, 2007

NOA1 Issued: February 28, 2007

Touched: March 1, 2007

Touched: May 7, 2007

RFE Issued: May 8, 2007

RFE Reply Sent: June 25, 2007 (wrong PO Box)

RFE Reply Sent: July 12, 2007 (correct address)

RFE Reply Received (CSC): July 19, 2007

Touched: July 20, 2007

NOA2 Issued: July 27, 2007

Petition Received (NVC): August 20,2007

Petition Sent to Embassy (Ankara, Turkey): August 22, 2007

Packet 3 Arrived: September 11, 2007

Filed: Timeline

I've got a separate, but similar question.

Q: My guy and I will be filing for the K-1 visa for myself when I go over there this May. Now would we put down the time we were together earlier this year or would be write down that I'm currently in the US and include all the documents/details to prove it?

Q: My guy and I will be filing for the K-1 visa for myself when I go over there this May. Now would we put down the time we were together earlier this year or would be write down that I'm currently in the US and include all the documents/details to prove it?

Right or wrong, according to interpretation, there have been RFE's asking for the first meeting documentation. Personally, I would submit both.

You can find me on FBI

An overview of Security Name Checks And Administrative Review at Service Center, NVC & Consulate levels.

Detailed Review USCIS Alien Security Checks

fb2fc244.gif72c97806.gif4d488a91.gif

11324375801ij.gif

View Timeline HERE

I am but a wench not a lawyer. My advice and opinion is just that. I read, I research, I learn.

Filed: Timeline

Right or wrong, according to interpretation, there have been RFE's asking for the first meeting documentation. Personally, I would submit both.

I'm tempted to just squeeze all of the dates and info onto the document...

1st meeting = June 2006 - July 2006 for 6 days

2nd meeting = Dec -2006 to Feb 2007 for 9 weeks

and then it'd just leave...

3rd meeting = May 2007 for 2 weeks (the time we plan to start the visa process!)

So there's not A LOT and, to be honest, I'd prefer to include the 9 weeks we spent together (6 weeks with him in the UK with me and then 3 weeks of me in the US with him) over Christmas/New Year.

I'm tempted to just squeeze all of the dates and info onto the document...

1st meeting = June 2006 - July 2006 for 6 days

2nd meeting = Dec -2006 to Feb 2007 for 9 weeks

and then it'd just leave...

3rd meeting = May 2007 for 2 weeks (the time we plan to start the visa process!)

So there's not A LOT and, to be honest, I'd prefer to include the 9 weeks we spent together (6 weeks with him in the UK with me and then 3 weeks of me in the US with him) over Christmas/New Year.

You really don't have to 'squeeze' anything into the document (the application).. write a brief description on the form, then indicate the complete answer is on a separate sheet. On that sheet, indicate it is a continuation of Question 18 (see guides/tips) and finish your description. It doesn't have to fit in the tiny box. :thumbs:

Tip #4

Declaration of how you met in person in the last two years. This should be a single typed page regarding question 18 of the I-129F. Make sure to sign and date it.

That is what I did. Wrote a brief 2 sentances on how we met and then "see attachment". I then included 3 paragraphs, the first one stating how we met, the second and third stating the dates of visits after that. I then included the passport stamps for these, boarding passes, pics etc to show we actually did meet each time.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

It's best to be safe and include an additional page explaining every single time you've met with evidence (boarding passes WITH DATES, passport stamps, credit card purchases in the country at that time, etc.). Throw as much evidence at them as you can. Though it may seem it's obvious that you've met and you're clear about how you met, we got an RFE requesting more evidence and a better explanation. This slows the process, so provide it to them ahead of time to avoid this.

I-129F

10/23/2006 - I-129F approved (97 days from CSC)

AOS

03/03/2007 - Married!

03/14/2007 - I-485 + I-765 sent

03/21/2007 - NOA1, Checks cashed

06/01/2007 - EAD card production e-mail received (74 days)

07/27/2007 - EAD RECEIVED (57 days after approval)

11/29/2007 - Infopass appointment - file was sent to a storage facility before it was finished processing.

05/28/2008 - Received AOS Interview notice

07/10/2008 - AOS Interview-APPROVED pending fingerprints

09/22/2008 - GREEN CARD IN HAND!

Removing Conditions

06/04/2010 - Sent I-751

06/07/2010 - NOA1

06/09/2010 - Check cashed

07/22/2010 - Biometrics Appointment

09/08/2010 - Card production e-mail

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.