Arrta

Question about evidence of in person meeting

19 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

My Fiancee and I have met in person and I have photographs proving this.

She came to the States on a K-1 visa with the purpose of marrying someone who turned out to be abusive. She never married him and stayed with some relatives of hers until she was able to get the money to return home.

We met while she was still in the States staying with her relatives and stated a relationship.

She has since returned to her country as she was required to leave before her 90 days expired.

I have never been to her country to visit her there but we have decided that we are in love and want to get married.

Are the photos proving the meeting here in the States acceptable proof or must I travel to her country?

If I have to go meet her there I will. I am wondering thou if it is required. The only information about meeting in person comes form the instructions, "have met in person within two years before your filing of this petition," and does not seem to specify any other requirements.

My Fiancee and I have met in person and I have photographs proving this.

She came to the States on a K-1 visa with the purpose of marrying someone who turned out to be abusive. She never married him and stayed with some relatives of hers until she was able to get the money to return home.

We met while she was still in the States staying with her relatives and stated a relationship.

She has since returned to her country as she was required to leave before her 90 days expired.

I have never been to her country to visit her there but we have decided that we are in love and want to get married.

Are the photos proving the meeting here in the States acceptable proof or must I travel to her country?

If I have to go meet her there I will. I am wondering thou if it is required. The only information about meeting in person comes form the instructions, "have met in person within two years before your filing of this petition," and does not seem to specify any other requirements.

As long as this meeting happened within the past 2 years and you have it documented, I don't see why you cannot use it. But the documentation has to not only include photos but primary proof as well (ticket stubs, passport stamps, hotel receipts etc).

Aug 2003 first icebreaker ;-)

2003 - 2006 letters, letters, letters

Aug 2006 met at regatta in Greece

03/20/2007 I-129f mailed to TSC

08/06/2007 NOA-2, 118 days from the 1st notice.

10/24/2007 Interview in Moscow, visa approved

12/06/2007 Entered at JFK, got EAD stamp.

01/25/2008 Married in St. Augustine, FL

02/19/2008 AOS package mailed

09/30/2008 AOS interview - APPROVED!

10/11/2008 Green card in the mail

01/14/2009 Our little girl, Fiona Elizabeth, was born on Jan. 14, 2009 :-)

It is not a requirement for you to travel to her country, but photos are not enough. There are considered secondary evidence. You can show her passport pages, her boarding passes etc. If you have any other reciepts with the appropriate dates that offer proof that you two were together here in the US (eg hotel reciepts while traveling) that would be very good primary evidence also.

Did you meet the relatives she stayed with here also? Photos of you and the family would also be good to add besides the ones of just the two of you.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline
As long as this meeting happened within the past 2 years and you have it documented, I don't see why you cannot use it. But the documentation has to not only include photos but primary proof as well (ticket stubs, passport stamps, hotel receipts etc).

Would a photocopy of her Passport from when she was here count as primary? Or should I get her to send me a new photocopy now that she is back home?

I'm not sure if we still have the ticket stubs. I'll have to have her check.

Do we need originals or are photocopies good enough? Obviously photocopies of the passport would be neccessary as I can't send her passport as proof.

I would definitely include copies of her passport stamps (as well as the inside front cover of her passport).

I sent photocopies of our boarding passes (and passport stamps of course).

SA4userbar.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Germany
Timeline

You guys always seem to be so worried about the evidence stuff...

Well I myself think it would of been better to go see her,to get your own image on where she is from,meet her friends and familiy etc,but hey thats just a suggestion.

For proof you dont need orig.,dont do it like some jack a** on here and send in your digi cam!!!

I myself sent in copies of my tickets,photos letters and a copy of our passports(of the stamps in there),all that is good enough.

You have other things that you are going to be worrying about more than this evidence stuff.,for example the affidavit of support etc etc etc. Dont let this small stuff worry you so much.

Filed: Timeline

I THINK THE REQUIREMENTS THAT YOU HAD TO HAVE MET WITHIN THE LAST TWO YEARS WHEN YOU SUBMIT YOUR PETITION. GOOD LUCK!

You guys always seem to be so worried about the evidence stuff...

Well I myself think it would of been better to go see her,to get your own image on where she is from,meet her friends and familiy etc,but hey thats just a suggestion.

For proof you dont need orig.,dont do it like some jack a** on here and send in your digi cam!!!

I myself sent in copies of my tickets,photos letters and a copy of our passports(of the stamps in there),all that is good enough.

You have other things that you are going to be worrying about more than this evidence stuff.,for example the affidavit of support etc etc etc. Dont let this small stuff worry you so much.

the circumstances seem very reasonable. She entered on a K1 but didnt go through with the marriage and abided by the terms and conditions by leaving the US within the appropriate timeframe. As you met during the 3 month period she was here and fell in love, you have evidence you have met and spent time together. As far as I know (and someone will correct me if Im wrong), having held a previous K-1 is not held against her. I would call one of those visa law attorneys that give you 10 mins chat for free and see what they say. Sounds fine to me! Good luck

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Ok, this is my take on it.

With the initial filing of the K-1 you only need to prove that you have met in person in the last 2 years and that you intend to marry. The photos and a copy of the pages of her passport would do that. You never want to send originals of anything with the initial fling. They are not returned. Sometimes for the interveiw you do need to submit original copies of things but not with the application.

Your problem may be this. When you get to the interview stage you need to prove more than having met in the past two years. You must prove you have a real relationship. Good proofs are photos, phone records, boarding passes, snail mail letters, e-mail letters. Phone records, and snail mail are often looked at more favorably than e-mail, phone cards, and SMS although they also cary weight.

My suggestion would be this. File now. Go spend time with her while you are wating. It is a good thing anyway to know each other as much as possible. Build your evidence file for the interview.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Nothing wrong or problematic about the fact she had a prior K-1 and it was while in that status that you met. She can expect some questions on the subject during consular interview to ensure that she is not 'visa seeking' and does, in fact, have a genuine relationship with you, but on that front, that's all.

As to evidence - photos are import, but then like anything else they don't tell the whole story, such as, when exactly were they taken. You need to consider evidence in the light of the picture you want to paint - that you not only did meet, but that it was in the last two years. That's why such things as boarding passes and copies of her passport stamp would be useful, because those are dated and unequivocal, as would be any hotel bill or receipt in her name from the period of stay, or any other such document as car hire agreement etc.

There is absolutely no requirement that you travel to her country, nor any penalty or problem in processing a case that is consequent on you not doing so. It's entirely your choice if you wish to make that journey and, as one contributor said, meet her in her own surroundings in order to facilitate getting to know her as best as possible.

Ok, this is my take on it.

With the initial filing of the K-1 you only need to prove that you have met in person in the last 2 years and that you intend to marry. The photos and a copy of the pages of her passport would do that. You never want to send originals of anything with the initial fling. They are not returned. Sometimes for the interveiw you do need to submit original copies of things but not with the application.

Just wanted to clarify if someone else read this like i read it- Yes send copies and not originals, but know that USCIS can always ask for the original as can the CO at the interview stage.

erfoud44.jpg

24 March 2009 I-751 received by USCIS

27 March 2009 Check Cashed

30 March 2009 NOA received

8 April 2009 Biometric notice arrived by mail

24 April 2009 Biometrics scheduled

26 April 2009 Touched

...once again waiting

1 September 2009 (just over 5 months) Approved and card production ordered.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you are not able to locate the ticket stubs, you might want to inquire with the airline to see if they have any record of her being on the flight. I don't know which airline, so I don't know if they would have that information, but it's worth a call.

As far as the passport, just make sure you have a copy of the personal information page as well as with the stamps proving that she entered the U.S. (and also a page if they mark it upon her exit of the U.S./or return to her country).

GOOD LUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I-129F

11/15/2007 = Package sent overnight Fedex to CSC

11/16/2007 = Package arrived at CSC

11/21/2007 = NOA1 (according to www.uscis.gov online case status)

11/26/2007 = Check cashed (YIPPEE!!!!!!!!!!)

11/28/2007 = Touched

11/30/2007 = Rec'd NOA1 hard copy in the mail

12/20/2007 = Touched

12/21/2007 = Touched

03/12/2008 = Touched (due to phone call)

03/24/2008 = NOA2!!!!!!!!!

03/25/2008 = Touched

04/23/2008 = Touched

05/05/2008 = Arrived at Consulate

05/12/2008 = Picked up Packets 3 & 4

06/24/2008 = Interview Date and APPROVAL

07/02/2008 = Picked up Visa at Embassy

07/05/2008 = Arrival in the U.S.!!!!!!!!! Met at POE in ATLANTA

07/06/2008 = Fly back to Salt Lake City Together!!!!

08/06/2008 = MARRIED TODAY!!!

AOS & EAD

08/23/2008 = Package sent via USPS with Signature Confirmation

08/25/2008 = Package arrived in Chicago

08/26/2008 = Check cashed

09/02/2008 = NOA1 for EAD and AOS received in the mail.

4400355_bodyshot_300x400.gif4400923_bodyshot_300x400.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

Yes, when you send the documents with the applications always send copies, never originals.

When you go to the interveiw, always take originals, never copies.

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Thailand
Timeline

I did the same, but this question perplexes me still, how do you "prove" to someone else that you met another person. Passport stamps, boarding passes, hotel receipts only show you were at a particular place at a particular time, but nothing in there shows proof of meeting anybody in particular (except maybe customs officials, airline officials, or hotel workers). I think pictures are better proof (assuming we say *nothing* about PhotoShop), but unless you are holding up a newspaper or something giving the date, how is that proof that the meeting happened in the last two years? I passed this question around my office, no-one has yet to come up with definitive proof, everything seems to be just circumstantial evidence. I think a better form of proof would be an eyewitness under oath (who would lie to the USCIS?), but haven't come-up with a good way yet to mail one into the USCIS :huh:

Timeline:

02/20/2005 - Met first time in Bangkok, Thailand

01/19/2006 - "Unofficial" Wedding Ceremony in Surin, Thailand

03/19/2007 - Filed K-1 Visa petition at Vermont Service Center

08/30/2007 - Received K-1 Visa from US Embassy Bangkok

10/05/2007 - Arrived POE at Washington DC

10/09/2007 - "Official" Wedding Ceremony in Rockville, Maryland

10/23/2007 - Apply for SSN

10/25/2007 - Sent AOS/EAD/AP petitions to Chicago Lockbox

10/29/2007 - Received SSN

11/02/2007 - Received NOA for AOS/EAD/AP

11/27/2007 - AOS/EAD Biometrics - USCIS Glenmont, Maryland

12/19/2007 - AOS transfered to CSC

12/27/2007 - EAD/AP approved

01/03/2008 - Received AP Documents

01/05/2008 - Received EAD Card

Perpetual fluctuation is the essence of the perceptual universe

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.