Chiwaruchk

Validity of visa

3 posts in this topic

Filed: Country: France
Timeline

Hi,

I'm Kevin, French citizen, and I am married to Dixie (USC). We got married almost 5 years ago in Dayton, OH. After the wedding, she finished her degree and then joined me 3 months later in France.

We're now thinking about probably going back to the US in the next few years.

If I understood correctly, she'll have to fill out the I-130 form for me, so that I can apply for a K-3 IR-1 visa.

My question is: once the visa is approved (if it is approved, of course), is there a time limit to enter the US permanently or non-permanently before the visa expires?

The plan would be to start the process soon, so that when we decide to finally go, the process and procedures don't block us and are already taken care of.

Thank you in advance for your responses :)

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

She will have to establish a US residency and provide IRS transcripts (last 3 years) showing she filed taxes in the US (even though living abroad)

also has to make 124% of poverty gidlines

2016 Poverty Guideline: Impact on Affidavits of Support 02 Mar 2016

Each year, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) is responsible for setting federal poverty guidelines, which are used to determine whether an individual or family qualifies for certain government benefits. These guidelines are important in the immigration context, particularly with respect to family sponsorship and affidavits of support. The HHS has issued the 2016 poverty guidelines, which became effective as of January 25, 2016.

Public Charge Provisions

The federal poverty guidelines are utilized in the immigration context when determining the sufficiency of income in connection with the affidavit of support (form I-864). The I-864 is required, with limited exceptions, in family-based immigration cases. It is also required in some employment-based cases.

The purpose of the I-864 is to protect the U.S. government financially. The petitioner must establish that s/he has sufficient means to ensure that the beneficiary family member will not become a public charge, in need of government support. By signing the I-864, the petitioner contracts to be financially liable to the government if the sponsored family member collects certain types of means-tested public benefits (e.g., food stamps).

Affidavit of Support: 125% of Poverty Level

The U.S. citizen (USC) or lawful permanent resident (LPR) who wishes to sponsor a family member for permanent residence must demonstrate income at a level equal to or above 125 percent of the federal poverty guideline level. The exact income required on the I-864 form varies based on the number of sponsored family members, the number of other dependents, and ongoing obligations under any previously filed I-864s. These guidelines are modified annually, based on the Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers (CPI-U).

Options if Sponsoring Relative Cannot Meet the Guidelines

If the sponsor does not have a sufficient annual income, there are alternatives for meeting the I-864 requirements. For example, when sponsoring one’s spouse, it may be possible to include the income of the sponsored spouse to evidence that the income criteria has been met, assuming this income will continue after the beneficiary becomes a permanent resident. Another common option is using joint financial sponsors who can establish sufficient income levels. It is also potentially possible to rely upon certain assets in lieu of income.

Poverty Guidelines: Three Charts

There are three separate poverty guideline charts each year. One chart sets out the guidelines for the 48 contiguous states and the District of Columbia. The second and third charts are for Alaska and Hawaii, respectively.

The 2016 poverty guidelines are available online. The requirement for the affidavit of support is 125 percent of the poverty line guidelines. These figures are set out below.

125% of Poverty Line for the 48 Contiguous States plus D.C.

Size of Family Unit; Guideline
1 $17,820
2 $24,030
3 $30,240
4 $36,450

no K3 / it is CR1/IR1 spousal visa

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Hi,

I'm Kevin, French citizen, and I am married to Dixie (USC). We got married almost 5 years ago in Dayton, OH. After the wedding, she finished her degree and then joined me 3 months later in France.

We're now thinking about probably going back to the US in the next few years.

If I understood correctly, she'll have to fill out the I-130 form for me, so that I can apply for a K-3 IR-1 visa.

My question is: once the visa is approved (if it is approved, of course), is there a time limit to enter the US permanently or non-permanently before the visa expires?

The plan would be to start the process soon, so that when we decide to finally go, the process and procedures don't block us and are already taken care of.

Thank you in advance for your responses :)

Validity of visa is 6 months from the medical to enter the US. You are looking at 10 to 12 months to be complete.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.