elpablito2016

Confused about I-864 - can we combine incomes?

8 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I am the petitioner for my Mom and Dad. I do not have sufficient income to meet the guidelines.

Can my brothers also act as co-sponsors or joint sponsors? What is the difference?

We live near each other but not in the same household. My brothers income is not sufficient to meet the guidelines. Can our incomes be combined to meet the requirements?

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

If you are the petitioner you are the primary sponsor , so you fill out an I864 for each parent. Because you don't meet the requirements then each parent can have another person sponsor ( one per parent )

If that person lives in a relationship with another person that other person can join incomes with the other sponsor. Do any of your siblings make enough to sponsor one parent ?

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

If you are the petitioner you are the primary sponsor , so you fill out an I864 for each parent. Because you don't meet the requirements then each parent can have another person sponsor ( one per parent )

If that person lives in a relationship with another person that other person can join incomes with the other sponsor. Do any of your siblings make enough to sponsor one parent ?

Let me make sure that I understand.

So for example:

1. Even though I don't make enough to meet the requirements, I would still fill out one I-864 for Mom and one I-864 for my Dad.

(I-864 Part 3 Question 2 says "Do not include any relative listed on a separate visa petition". since I filled out separate I-130 forms for each of them Mom my does NOT get included on Part 3 of I-864 for my Dad. Similarly my Dad does NOT get included on Part 3 of the I-864 for my Mom. Each one is treated as a principal immigrant. )

2. My one brother could be a joint sponsor my Mom. My brother will fill out an I-864 form.

3. My other brother could a joint sponsor my Dad. My brother will fill out and I-864 form?

In each case above would my brother be considered a First or Second Joint Sponsor?

Also it is still not clear to me if my brother's income would be looked at as "sort of" combined with mine? Or do they also have to individually meet the guideline? If that is the case, that might be a problem because I'm not sure that any single one of us alone makes enough to meet the guidelines.

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

You are basically right .

So if you are single in the end you need to have enough income for a family of 3 ( you plus mom plus dad they will catch up to the fact although they are separate you need to support both ) Because you say you don't you need sponsors for them.

If brother 1 is married and has a child and wants to be the other sponsor for mom , he would need to support a family of 4 ( him , his wife child and mom) .

If brother 2 is single and takes on dad then he needs to make enough for a famly of 2 ( him and dad. )

Assets can be used to make up the shortfall.

This will not be over quickly. You will not enjoy this.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

unless your brothers live with you, they can't combine their income with you, they have to have enough on their own as joint sponsors

you would mark on your i864, I am the sponsor, and your brothers would mark on their i864 I am the only joint sponsor, for each parent

• 2 weeks later...

So my brother and I currently are living in separate homes.

My brother lives in a larger house and we have been planning to move in together. There would be more room and eventually our parents would join us there.

If my brother and I are living at the same address our combined income would be just below $40,000

I think this would be sufficient to meet the HHS Poverty guidelines for 4 people. i.e. me, my brother, my mom and my dad.

I think that I would complete the I-864 as primary sponsor with $15,000 of income.

Then I would include my brother in part 6 of the I-864 with an income of $24,000

My bother would also complete an I-864A and I would submit it along with the I-864.

Does this all seem correct?

Does anyone know if there would be a minimum amount of time that I would have to live with my brother before I could consider this to be my residence too?

Thank you.

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Argentina
Timeline

hi

you can't do that because you already have to be living in the same house, you have to prove that you live in the same household, such as both of you having mail at the same domicile,

when are you supposed to file the affidavit for each parent? because if it's now, then you can't

hi

you can't do that because you already have to be living in the same house, you have to prove that you live in the same household, such as both of you having mail at the same domicile,

when are you supposed to file the affidavit for each parent? because if it's now, then you can't

We don't need to file the affidavits until next March.

If we move in together and live in the same house, share expenses and have bills in both of our names, it would seem that would prove that we live in the same household

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.