5 posts in this topic

Hi, me (Alien) and my fiancee (US-citizen) are going to apply for K1 Visa and we have two questions regarding this.

Question 1:

The aliens passport expires May 2017. Applying for the K1 visa with an almost expired passport, may that pose a problem later on during the process? Could the alien get a new passport while the K1 visa is under process? Or does the alien need to get a new passport before applying for the K1 visa?

Question 2:

On form I-129F, Part 2 ("Information About Your Alien Fiancè"), question 15b ("I-94 Arrival/Departure Record Number?") and 15f (Travel Document Number).

What is I-94 Arrival/Departure Record Number? The alien did not receive an 1-94 Record Number. What do we fill in on question 15b in the I-129F form when the alien did not receive an 1-94 Record Number? The alien is here on an ESTA until November 9th this year. It seems that when travelling to the US on an ESTA you do not receive and 1-94 form, so how can the alien get the 1-94 Record Number?

And what is the Travel Document Number (under 15f)? Is that my booking reference number?

1. Should renew it prior to completing DS 160/interview. (Must have at least 6 months left on the passport at time of visa issuance anyway) My fiance's passport was due to expire. Once we got NOA2 he renewed it. Makes life alot easier once arriving in USA also. Don't have to worry about renewing it here in the USA if further travel comes up.

2. If it doesn't apply you can put "N/A". If you don't know it you can put "unknown". Not sure how you obtain it otherwise. Maybe others will comment on that.

Edited by LionessDeon

1. Should renew it prior to completing DS 160/interview. (Must have at least 6 months left on the passport at time of visa issuance anyway) My fiance's passport was due to expire. Once we got NOA2 he renewed it. Makes life alot easier once arriving in USA also. Don't have to worry about renewing it here in the USA if further travel comes up.

2. If it doesn't apply you can put "N/A". If you don't know it you can put "unknown". Not sure how you obtain it otherwise. Maybe others will comment on that.

Thanks LionessDeon! I'll make sure to renew my passport before the interview.

Regarding question 2, after some googling I was able to find this website:

https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/I94/consent.html;jsessionid=KzpnX0TJ9QMhdJgQgzQCs2RzL6K2x9j00Qffc9LsvL9CYRGGjhd1!-492524739

It allows me to find my 1-94 Record Number when giving my name and passport number.

Your welcome! If you get it renewed prior to filling out the DS160 the embassy will have the new passport number. If you wait until interview be sure to let them know it is a new passport with a new passport number.

My fiance and I just went through this ourselves. For some reason I was under the impression that the passport had to be good for 6 months from when the visa is granted...but then I went into a panic when I read it had to be good for 8 months. My fiance's passport was due to expire in May 2017 as well, and it began to look like his interview wouldn't occur until September...so he got his new passport quickly (in Thailand it only takes a few days amazingly)...and then when we filled out the DS-160 we had his new passport number. The Embassy Packet 4 instructions make it clear that both the old and new passports need to be brought to the interview.

Good luck!

~David & Noom

K-1 Visa Timeline

2016.04.18 -- I-129F Received by USCIS

2016.04.20 -- I-129F NOA1

2016.06.29 -- NOA

2016.08.15 -- Bangkok Embassy received our case from NVC

2016.08.23 -- Packet 3 sent to Embassy in Bangkok

2016.08.26 -- Packet 4 email received from Embassy

2016.09.05 -- Medical exam @ 10:30 AM @ BNH

2016.09.07 -- Interview @ 7:30 AM...Visa approved

2016.09.09 -- Visa Received

2016.10.02 -- Entered USA (POE LAX)

2016.11.18...Our Wedding Day 

AOS Timeline

2016.12.30 -- AOS, EAD, and AP applications delivered to Chicago PO

2017.01.21 -- NOA1's received via USPS for I-485 (AOS),  I-131 (AP), and I-765 (EAD)

2017.02.24 -- Biometrics Appointment

2017.04.20 -- AOS & EAD approved; NOA2's received via USPS on 2017.04.23

2017.04.29 -- EAD & AP combo card received

2017.06.06 -- AOS approved!

2017.06.10 -- Green Card received

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.