CB82

When To Apply for K1 visa

16 posts in this topic

Hi everyone,

I am so glad I found this site and I want to thank everyone who takes the time to read and respond to my query. I've read through some of the posts and all of you provide wonderful guidance.

I am 24 and from Northern Ireland. My fiance is 37 and a US Citizen. We met when i came out to work for Disney on the International Program at Epcot in 2003, and he was working in a band in the same Pavilion. We started dating in March 2004 - just celebrated our 3 year dating aniversary. We have only been apart for 4 months since March 2004 when I went back to the UK to apply for a J1 visa, which expired last year. I've been on a tourist visa since then and will be returning to the UK as it will expire and i was denied an extension. We got engaged on New Years Eve 2005 and have set a date for August 2008. We are giving our family and friends plenty of time to be able to plan flights to come out for it and to be able to pay for the wedding of our dreams.

When would be roughly the best time to apply for the K1 visa for a wedding in August 2008? I'm thinking September / October would be time enough? I never realised how many RFE's you can get, and how much it may delay the application. I know once you get the visa you have up to 4 months i think to come out to the US on it and then get married within 90days.

Is it possible to come out to the US for a holiday to visit my fiance while the I-129F is pending, before it gets sent to the US Consulate in the UK?

What is all the package and NOA's that everyone has been receiving and mailing back? I hope i don't sound ignorant in asking these questions but i've read more information from this site and you guys, than on the uscis site.

I know how the immigration system is and i get nervous and stressed over everything and anything.

We have a lot of evidence of our relationship. The lease of our apartment being in both our names, joint checking account, credit card bills of purchases i made in the US and a lot of pictures etc.

Thanks again.

06/27/11 - Mailed N-400 Naturalization

06/28/11 - NOA Priority Date

08/10/11 - Biometrics (Early FP 07/21/11)

08/01/11 - In Line for Interview Scheduling

08/11/11 - Got Email the interview is scheduled

08/15/11 - Received interview letter for September 19th

08/15/11 - Received interview cancellation letter

10/14/11 - Received new interview letter

11/17/11 - N400 interview - PASSED!!!

11/29/11 - In Line for Oath Ceremony Scheduling

12/30/11 - Got email that oath ceremony is scheduled

01/27/12 - Oath Ceremony - US Citizen!!!!

04/30/10 - Mailed I-751 ROC

05/11/10 - Received NOA (dated 05/03/10)

06/11/10 - Biometrics

07/13/10 - Card Production Ordered

07/22/10 - 10 year Green Card Received in the mail

07/27/07 - I-130 & I-485 Sent to Chicago Lock Box

09/04/07 - Received NOA1 for both I-130 & I-485 (Notice Date of 31st August)

11/09/07 - Biometrics

04/17/08 - Interview

04/21/08 - Received I-130 Approval Notice

05/09/08 - I-485 Approved (Email - Welcome Notice mailed)

05/20/08 - PERMANENT RESIDENT CARD ARRIVED IN THE MAIL

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Ukraine
Timeline
When would be roughly the best time to apply for the K1 visa for a wedding in August 2008? I'm thinking September / October would be time enough? I never realised how many RFE's you can get, and how much it may delay the application. I know once you get the visa you have up to 4 months i think to come out to the US on it and then get married within 90days.

The visa process is very unpredictable. Dates you seen on here vary quite a bit. There is actually nothing solid about when you could receive your K-1 approval.

Is it possible to come out to the US for a holiday to visit my fiance while the I-129F is pending, before it gets sent to the US Consulate in the UK?

I have read from other users on that you. But also, you can't. I've seen the success stories about visiting while having a K-1 application in processing. I've heard of others being denied to enter the USA. You'll probably hear more on this from other users.

What is all the package and NOA's that everyone has been receiving and mailing back?

The best advice that you will see on here is to familiarize yourself with the K-1 process. There is basically, a step-by-step guide section and a FAQ page. Some people come here and ask the most simple questions that is easily answered if they would have taken the time to just look at the guides on this website. Please check those out.

Best of luck to you! And welcome to VJ! ;)

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

AOS application received Chicago - 11/12/2007

Thanks for the response.

I did check out the FAQ's and i know more about the process and time lines now. I just get confused when you mail the application to one center, it then gets transferred to another, you then get asked for more information on stuff that wasn't on the guidelines to be included. There are so many pagfes to read through on this site. I appreciate your answer and i will just take the time to read through all the posts and topics on this site.

I realise its hard to say when it would get approved, i was just hoping i could figure out a good time of when to start the process.

My fiance and I can't bare to be apart form each other and thats why i wondered if it was possible to visit the US with a pending application, as I thought you wouldn't be able to.

I know i've probably repeated questions that loads of people have asked. Its just a lot of people seem to be further into the process but i'll be patient and read through everything.

Thanks again for your reply.

06/11/10 - Biometrics

11/09/07 - Biometrics

04/17/08 - Interview

You have six months to enter the US and 90 days to get married. Applying in September / October should be fine (in my very humble opinion), but remember - you can always delay the process, but you can't expedite it. It's better to apply too early than too late.

Oh, and be sure to check the timelines for your service center and consulate!

Yes. It's considered to be risky (just risky, not illegal), but people do it. Take plenty of evidence that your visit is temporary and you are coming back.

Good luck!

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Russia
Timeline

As far as when you should apply the processing time can vary a lot on where your fiance lives. If he is using the Vermont center, yesterday would be good. With some of the others a few months ago would be good.

You should be ok on October but I would not book any halls or have any inviations printed up yet. I would say you can't expect much less than 5 months and it could be lots more. Remember that when the visa is issued you have 180 days to come here and start the process. You don't need to worry about being too early. Get the visa and then time your visit to what is right for your wedding plans. I wish you the best of luck.

Edited by Turboguy

12/14/2006 Applied for K-1 with request for Waver for Multiple filings within 2 years.
Waiting - Waiting - Waiting
3/6 Called NVC file sent to Washington for "Administrative Review" Told to call back every few weeks. 7/6 Called NVC, A/R is finished, case on way to Moscow. YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
7/13 On Friday the 13th we see updated Moscow website with our interview on 9/11 (Hope we are not supersticious) 9/11 Visa Approved. Yahoo.
10/12 Tickets for her to America. I am flying to JFK to meet her there. 12/15/07 We are married. One year and a day after filling original K-1
12/27 Filed for AOS, EAD & AP 1/3 Received all three NOA-1's 1/22 Biometrics 2/27 EAD & AP received 4/12 Interview
5/19/08 RFE for physical that she should not have needed. 5/28 New physical ($ 250.00 wasted) 6/23 Green Card received
4/22/10 Filed for Removal of Contitions. 6/25 10 Year Green Card received Nov, 2014 Citizenship ceremony. Our journey is complete.

Welcome to VJ! You two are so lucky you could be together for such a long period, I'm jealous! Are you filing through Vermont or California? Filing in October (or around there) should work for an August wedding, but there are always possible complications you should be prepared for. Another option is filing now, moving here as soon as you get the visa and doing justice of the peace. Then having the big wedding without any worries regarding the visa (hopefully!). That is a fairly popular option around here.

You can visit during the Looooong wait BUT make sure to bring LOTS of evidence that you intend to return (work letter, student status, bank accounts etc.) The NOA packet one just holds a document stating your packet is recieved. I dont have the second one yet, so I dont know what comes in that other than a similar document stating you've been approved.

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Thanks for your response everyone.

My fiance lives in Florida, so we would be filing it with Texas and then i think it moves to California?

When you get the visa do you really have 6 months to come out on it (and then the 90days to get married)? I thought i read somewhere you only had 4 months. I'd rather apply early and have plenty of time than worrying about not getting it on time.

To be honest i don't think my family would be happy with us getting married without them here and then having a big wedding with them all. I'm the first of my siblings to get married and its a really big thing for my family. I know they recommend not to make plans til you have the visa in hand, but my family needs to book their holiday a year in advance to secure hotel and flights.

I understand that its a popular and more convenient way to get married first and then have a ceremony with your family after. My fiance and I have talked about it and we would rather just have our whole family there and just have one ceremony. I know its a risk.

06/11/10 - Biometrics

11/09/07 - Biometrics

04/17/08 - Interview

Timeline
Thanks for your response everyone.

My fiance lives in Florida, so we would be filing it with Texas and then i think it moves to California?

When you get the visa do you really have 6 months to come out on it (and then the 90days to get married)? I thought i read somewhere you only had 4 months. I'd rather apply early and have plenty of time than worrying about not getting it on time.

To be honest i don't think my family would be happy with us getting married without them here and then having a big wedding with them all. I'm the first of my siblings to get married and its a really big thing for my family. I know they recommend not to make plans til you have the visa in hand, but my family needs to book their holiday a year in advance to secure hotel and flights.

I understand that its a popular and more convenient way to get married first and then have a ceremony with your family after. My fiance and I have talked about it and we would rather just have our whole family there and just have one ceremony. I know its a risk.

Yes. Florida filers are now being processed at the California Service Center. Be prepared for a wait. As far as how long a visa is good for, check the US embassy website of the country where you're from. After arriving to the US, you only have 90 days to be married before the visa expires and you will find yourself heading for home.

I can see how your family will not be happy getting married without them being there. The realistic fact of the visa is that you do not know when you're going to receive it and anything could happen to cause a delay. This is why many people on here do not make definite plans for a wedding ahead of time. It is always recommended that never make wedding arrangements until you have the visa in your hand and you're actually here past the point of entry into the USA. You never know if you will be stopped or turned away when arriving. Hopefully, you can talk to your family and have them understand how the process works here. I discussed it with my fiancee' about having a small civil ceremony at the local courthouse to fulfill the visa requirements. We will plan after that for the church wedding where everyone can attend. She was great about it and understood completely. Depending on your religion, weddings that do not take place in the church are not valid before God. But it will be valid in the eyes of US government and you can stay with your loved one. The choice is yours. :yes:

Edited by altimixdj

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Just for clarification, some that have not read your post closely are thinking you are wanting to get married this coming August .. you are actually wanting to get married in a year and four months, correct? Aug. 2008.

Just out of speculation, the time to process a visa may change dramatically after the proposed fee increase which could affect the number of adjudicators at a given processing center as well as any new laws that could be passed during this time as well.

Good luck in your journey :thumbs:

Edited by CountryBoy

Donnie and Sylvia

Timeline
Just for clarification, some that have not read your post closely are thinking you are wanting to get married this coming October .. you are actually wanting to get married in a year and a half, correct? Oct. 2008.

Yes. They want an August 2008 wedding date.

Joseph

us.jpgKarolina

When you get the visa do you really have 6 months to come out on it (and then the 90days to get married)? I thought i read somewhere you only had 4 months.

While I haven't seen a law that says "K-1 visas are issued with 6 month validity", I haven't heard of four-month K-1 visa either. Has anyone?

Mine was certainly valid for six months.

When you get the visa do you really have 6 months to come out on it (and then the 90days to get married)? I thought i read somewhere you only had 4 months.

While I haven't seen a law that says "K-1 visas are issued with 6 month validity", I haven't heard of four-month K-1 visa either. Has anyone?

Mine was certainly valid for six months.

K-1 Visa Holder has 6 months from the time it is issued to arrive in the US. Once here, they have 90 days (not 3 months) to get married - where that is a wedding or just the civil marriage, doesn't matter then file for adjustment of status.

The 6month validity you're speaking of - is the time you have to get to American soil. Once here - the six months validity is over...the 90 day clock starts...

If someone is wanting to try to plan an August wedding (in 2008) they'd better file right away - better to have a bit more time, then not enough (or none at all). Just my opinion - everyone's situation is different...

Edited by Karin und Otto

Thanks everyone.

All your advice is greatly appreciated.

I never knew about the 6 months part. I think my fiance and I will start the process now. I also saw on the guides and sample forms that you can apply for an extension of the 6 months. Is that true?

Either way i think we will apply for the K1 visa now as i have noticed some people have taken over a year to get through the whole process and some less. I'd rather me waiting in the UK for 6 months til coming out to the US to start the 90 days, than worrying about not getting the visa on time. I also never actually thought that you could get turned away when you arrive either.

Thanks again for all your advice. I'm so glad i found this site.

06/11/10 - Biometrics

11/09/07 - Biometrics

04/17/08 - Interview

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Israel
Timeline

Better start the process now since you never know with the USCIS. Some members got under the Administrative Review and it takes them couple of months and some even years. Start now, come to US and go to the city hall to make a legal civil court marriage and then plan your big wedding day.

Good luck!

12/14/09 - I-751 mailed

12/23/09 - Check cashed

12/28/09 - NOA1 (dated 12/21/09)

01/03/10 - I-797 NOA received for biometrics appt

01/26/10 - Biometrics appt.

01/27/10 - Touch

04/29/10 - Approved

reminder for myself: apply for citizenship in november 2010

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.