MrsBruce5

Regional Accents

25 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Scotland
Timeline

Hi All,

Mr Bruce has been here for nealy 8 months now-and well, things are really good, better than ever in fact-but I am finding that I am picking up an Aberdeen accent with certain words ! I am from Brooklyn, and have always had a thick sort of Brooklyn dialect-but lately more and more people have been asking me if I am am Scottish. My 9 year old has been picking up bits of it as well, although not as much as I have...In my work I deal with many new clients, and over the last few weeks-I am getting asked more & more ...

Has anyone else had this happen?

Just curious...

"I have spread my dreams under your feet

Tread softly because you tread on my dreams"

-Yeats

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Scotland
Timeline

I think it's bound to happen. Everyone says I sound completely different when I come back from Scotland, though I don't hear it. It's nothing I do conciously, and I feel like an ####### when it's pointed out to me. But the same thing happens to my hubby when he spends time in the states, he goes back, grabs a taxi at the airport, and they ask him from where in Canada he hails. Our poor boys (6,4,2) are just a big mess though when it comes to accents and terms. Our oldest came home from kingergarten to tell me we were wrong in calling it a bin, as it's a garbage can - and it's not a trolley it's a shopping cart, his teacher said so! heh :/ And I recall a nurse at hospital asking why our middle boy was saying "no yet" instead of "not yet" as if he had a speach problem. Our littlest is the funniest though. He wouldn't say yes for the longest time, it was "aye" and the confusion set it when we were trying to teach him what and where his eye was. For the longest time when you'd ask him a question and he'd answer in the affirmative he'd simultaneously poke himself in the eye :P

I-130 Filed - Sept. 15, 2006

129-F Filed - Oct. 27, 2006

I-130/129F Approved - Jan. 10, 2007

K3/K4 Visas Approved - May 4, 2007

~~~~Hubby and Son PoE Newark - May 27, 2007~~~~

EAD filed for Hubby - June 6, 2007

EAD NOA for Hubby - June 13, 2007

AoS filed for Hubby and Son - June 15, 2007

EAD for Hubby APPROVED! WOW!!!!!! - July 19, 2007

AoS Interview for Hubby and Son in Philadelphia - Friday, September 14, 2007 - APPROVED!

10 Year Green Cards Received!!!! - October 12, 2007

Done until naturalization!

m_7dc3c15c2e1d0eafb3d8770777862202.gif

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: England
Timeline

Griff aways claims my 7 year old daughter is a natural for his accent and British phrases. Her timing and pronunciation are perfect! While I can never say "Blimey" in a convincing manner, I'd never question her!

I am dire for the most part!

I'm soooooo bad for picking up accents - my accent now is a complete mess. It's full of inflections I picked up from my Yorkshire/black country housemates at university (a loooong time ago now) and god knows what else. It's so bad that when I went to stay with a friend in Wales for the weekend once (again, years ago), it took me about a month to get rid of the welshness I'd picked up (people kept pointing it out to me) and I was there for less than 48 hours! People are always saying they think I'm from 'up north' (I'm from London!) and have been asked by a couple of irish people if I'm Australian. :wacko:

I always seem to do this if I'm surrounded by people with different accents, or even if I'm just talking to one person for any length of time... but really don't think it's happened so far with Casey, or just when I've been surrounded by american accents in general.

Have other UK-ers found themselves picking up an american accent?! I'm amazed that it hasn't happened to me in the US so far, but maybe once I'm living there.... I just hope people don't think I'm taking the p*ss! (Nah... they'll probably just ask 'are you from Australia?')

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Neither of us have picked up the accent YET. My mother however is HORRIBLE! She hears Paul talk for 2 minutes and starts saying everything weird :) Granted her father was English, but still... Then again she's the one who starts saying eh as soon as we cross into canada, even without speaking to anyone :D

Timeline

AOS

Mailed AOS, EAD and AP Sept 11 '07

Recieved NOA1's for all Sept 23 or 24 '07

Bio appt. Oct. 24 '07

EAD/AP approved Nov 26 '07

Got the AP Dec. 3 '07

AOS interview Feb 7th (5 days after the 1 year anniversary of our K1 NOA1!

Stuck in FBI name checks...

Got the GC July '08

Neither of us have picked up the accent YET. My mother however is HORRIBLE! She hears Paul talk for 2 minutes and starts saying everything weird :) Granted her father was English, but still... Then again she's the one who starts saying eh as soon as we cross into canada, even without speaking to anyone :D

Ha..my mother is some what similar.

Give her a few glasses of wine and she also gets this very posh accent!

It is really funny!

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Filed: Timeline

I use more British phrases now, like when I lived in the UK. I say sort it out, or I'm knackered, etc. Strangers think I have a bit of a Brit accent on some words though.

J hasn't changed at all - stil very British & people all the time make him repeat himself. I did catch hiom saying TO-MAY-TO the other day. Cus really, no Yank gets TO-MAT-O...

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

See! Why were we giving Madge such a hard time a week or so ago?!

I was with a friend over the weekend who heard me on the phone wishing my fiance good night saying "So, are you in bed, then?" and my friend called me out for my brit inflection - which I hadn't really noticed.

It's human nature!

I-129F/K1

1-12-07 mailed to CSC

1-22-07 DHS cashes the I-129F check

1-23-07 NOA1 Notice Date

1-26-07 NOA1 arrives in the post

4-25-07 Touched!

4-26-07 Touched again!

5-3-07 NOA2!!! Two approval emails received at 11:36am

5-10-07 Arrived at NVC/5-14-07 Left NVC - London-bound!

5-17-07??? London receives?

5-20-07 Packet 3 mailed

5-26-07 Packet 3 received

5-29-07 Packet 3 returned, few days later than planned due to bank holiday weekend

6-06-07 Medical in London (called to schedule on May 29)

6-11-07 "Medical in file" at Embassy

6-14-07 Resent packet 3 to Embassy after hearing nothing about first try

6-22-07 DOS says "applicant now eligible for interview," ie: they enter p3 into their system

6-25-07 DOS says interview date is August 21

6-28-07 Help from our congressional representative gives us new interview date: July 6

7-06-07 Interview at 9:00 am at the London Embassy - Approved.

7-16-07 Visa delivered after 'security checks' completed

I-129F approved in 111 days; Interview 174 days from filing

Handy numbers:

NVC: (603) 334-0700 - press 1, 5; US State Department: (202) 663-1225 - press 1, 0

*Be afraid or be informed - the choice is yours.*

I have picked up a few phrases, but as for Gary's accent, no way. Madge and Gywennie's accents are put on imo. I did hear Gary calling the garage how i say it, he usually says it where it rhymes with carriage.

October 31, 2016 I-130 sent to Chicago Lockbox

November 4, 2016 Received text case sent to Nebraska

November 10, 2016 Received Hard copy of NOA1

Ekk I'm so dreading losing my english accent...

You don't have to! I've lived here for 8 years, and lived with my wife for 6 of those, and have never got so much than as a comment about my accent being different when I go back to the UK. Phrases, however, are a different matter. I have a nasty tendancy to say things like "Parking lot". However as an act of revenge for that, my wife now says "Shopping Trolly". ;)

I've had some people tell me at work(Best Buy)that it sounds like I might be picking up an American accent, but I don't think I am. I couldn't possibly imagine losing my British accent! It's what makes me British!

Anthony & Caitlin's Visa Journey

======================

Oct 2001 - Met on an internet dating website

10/21/2001 - Met in person for the first time in London!

Nov 2002 - Anthony & Caitlin get engaged in London!

03/20/2003 - Anthony & Caitlin get married in the UK :)

04/30/2005 - I-130 completed and sent off

05/03/2005 - Forgot to send it Marriage certificate, sent by post!

05/09/2005 - London Embassy notifies us of receipt of I-130

06/02/2005 - Pkt 3 received

08/02/2005 - Pkt 3 completed and sent back

09/30/2005 - Pkt 4 received - Interview date set for 4th November

09/09/2005 - First child is born! Baby girl named Brianna :)

Sept 2005 - Went to get up-to-date TD and MMR shots at local doctors

10/17/2005 - Medical exam in London

11/04/2005 - Interview at London Embassy - GOT THE VISA!!

04/30/2006 - First trip back to the States since getting visa - MRIV in passport stamped!

05/09/2006 - Flew back to the UK to complete sale of apartment

05/17/2006 - Received 'Welcome to the United States' letter

05/30/2006 - Green Card arrives in mail!! - Waiting for SSN now

07/10/2006 - The big move to Ohio!!

07/11/2006 - SSN doesn't arrive in mail, Anthony applies in person

07/18/2006 - Received SSN!!

08/22/2006 - Anthony gets his Ohio drivers license - journey is finally complete!!

Read my POE Experience in Newark

I definitely havent picked up an American accent but I have started to use US terminology like "backyard" for garden, and "gas" for petrol. I definitely dont use those words when speaking with my friends and family back home though so it must be a conscious thing while Im here. My hubby definitely has picked up on a few words though and regularly says british rude words not normally heard over here. Also, having watched Catherine Tate on a few occasions, he really does love saying "innit", "am i bovvered?", and "is iiiitttt" for yes !!

Hmm... I've just realised that some friends of my family, who are from London but lived in LA for 20-something years and moved back to the UK a couple of years ago, both have very strange accents. They both sound a bit australian, if anything - obviously 20 years of exposure to american accents did something very odd to them indeed! :unsure:

2005 - We met

2006 - Filed I-129F

2007 - K-1 issued, moved to US, completed AOS (a busy year, immigration-wise)

2009 - Conditions lifted

2010 - Will be naturalising. Buh-bye, USCIS! smile.png

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.