MrsBruce5

Regional Accents

25 posts in this topic

My accent is weird.

Most words are very english and some are VERY not english, aka american, and some come out sounding australian now!

I sound like a confused traveler, either that or a bad actor :lol:

I have noticed my husband has started to say some words like I do :D

K-1 visa issued: 12/15/2006

107 days from mailing AOS package to receiving green card! Received 6/27/07 dated 6/20/07

Removing conditions:

mailed 5/22/2009

Recieved at CSC 5/23/2009

Check cashed 5/27/09

NOA date 5/26/09 - still not received

I-551 stamp in passport 6/19/09

Biometrics notice date 6/16/09

Biometrics received 6/20/09

Biometrics apt date 7/9/09

Biometrics cancellation notice 6/27/09

Biometrics apt notice date 6/26 recieved 7/7

Biometrics apt 7/22/09

Touch 7/22/09

Finally able to see online info 7/22/09

Card production email 8/19/09 date ordered 8/18

Recieved approval letter in mail 8/19/09 date 8/13!

Touch 8/19

Email stating approval notice sent 8/24/09

Green card in hand!! 8/24/09

Husband joined army and moved from San Diego to Ft. Benning GA! 8/30/11

Filed N400 based on 5 years of residency 9/12/12

Recieved email notifcation recieved package 9/19/12

Biometrics 10/22/12

Early Biometrics 10/04/12

In line for interview 10/8/12 for 8 days

Interview 11/20/12 PASSED!

Filed: Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Well, I haven't been here that long, around 3 and a half months. But what I have noticed is that my Essex accent is coming back. When I moved to London the people I worked with were all well spoken, so I automatically picked up on that. Now that I have moved from London my original accent has returned.

Damn Essex girls eh? LOL

I can do one hell of a mean trailer trash Midwestern accent though. I can hold my own with the best of 'em! :P

Damn them! :devil:

.png

.png

2/5/07 - 2 Year Green Card arrives!!! YAY!!!!

5/10/08 - Received RI Driver's License!

11/10/08 - Removing Conditions - Sent package out!

11/19/08 - Received Notice of Action - 1 year extension on my current green card - now waiting for biometrics letter.

11/28/08 - Received biometrics letter.

12/12/08 - Biometrics appointment - 10am.

01/13/09 - Still waiting............

06/08/09 - Card in production and on it's way!

06/22/09 - Received 10 Year Green Card! YAY!!

happy13.gif thforevertogether.gif

thNevergiveup.gif love9.gif

blinkie18.gif

Made_in_England.gif

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

I've been living in London for 11 months now. I'm an American and my fiance (who also lives here) is Australian. I work as a waitress in Piccadilly Circus and customers are constantly asking if I'm Australian! Dave doesn't have a very strong aussie accent, so I don't think it's that. I have definitely picked up on a lot of English terminology as well as saying certain words the 'English' way. For instance, I don't say Cheeeeerrrrs (like an American) but Chairs (or however you'd spell it! like an brit). I don't do it on purpose, it just happens!

Dave accuses me of changing my accents when I talk to strangers though. He says I put on a British accent....maybe I do, I don't know! I definitely don't do it on purpose though!

Either way we're all a bit mixed up jumble of accents it appears! Like someone has already mentioned, what will our kids sound like!? :wacko:

Filed: Timeline

Andres and I don't even live together but when he says certain words there's a clear hint of a London accent about him! He's always loved my accent and it's quite cute hearing him sound British just for that split second! I do love his accent though and I hope he does keep it no matter how much he says he wants a British accent :) He's my Yankeedoodle and that's why I <3 him so much!

Although it'll be me moving over there.. I hope I don't lose my accent. I like it. It's posh dammit ;)

Edited by Private Skylark

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Just got back from a 5 week stay in Hull. :thumbs:

I noticed Jonny has started picking up my accent and has even been caught saying 'Ya'll' cos I'm from Texas :dance: I did also notice that when he talks with other English people, his Yorkshire accent becomes much broader than when he talks with me, he never noticed. I have a perfect example, hope I can remember how it went exactly.

Jonny: I love you babe.

Me: Oh I love you too babe!

Passing motorist: Scuze me dear, do you know where I can find *random place*?

Jonny: Aye... don know, not familiar with the town meself luv.

Passing motorist: ahh, cheers then.

Jonny: (to me) so what are we having for tea tonight? (back in the same accent I have always known) :lol:

Also happend quite a bit when he was around his family. was so cute and when I pointed it out to him he didn't believe me at first :lol:

I grew up watching British comedy so I was already using certain words and knew what most things were. So to me Tide has always been washing powder for example. We tease eachother sometimes about what things are (steak fries vs. chips) and it's all in fun. Thing is, I still prefer to use my American vocabulary and have no intention of changing things when I move over there just as I would not expect Jonny to change his vocabulary when he moves here. Sure we will get strange stares some times, but I'm sure our accents will be dead giveaways that we are not local.

Life long Texan, living in Hull, UK. How did this happen?

11 January - We met online and became friends

4 February - Became a couple

17 March - I went to Hull to meet the guy

20 March - First "I love you"

25 March - I go home :(

16 November - He comes to visit me in Texas

25 November - he leaves back home :(

14 December - ENGAGED! <3

1 March- I fly off to see my babe in Hull

4 April - I go home :(

9 October - He comes back to Texas!!!!

13 October - WEDDING!!!

22 October - He goes back to England and I continue to wait for my settlement visa.

13 December 2007 - Move to England

Now the wait begins, I will become a citizen then we will DFC back to the US.

the-british-are-comming-small.jpg965-smaller.jpg

Our slide show .......... Our page on TheKnot.com

.png

I noticed Jonny has started picking up my accent and has even been caught saying 'Ya'll' cos I'm from Texas :dance: I did also notice that when he talks with other English people, his Yorkshire accent becomes much broader than when he talks with me, he never noticed. I have a perfect example, hope I can remember how it went exactly.

Jonny: (to me) so what are we having for tea tonight? (back in the same accent I have always known) :lol:

Also happend quite a bit when he was around his family. was so cute and when I pointed it out to him he didn't believe me at first :lol:

I grew up watching British comedy so I was already using certain words and knew what most things were. So to me Tide has always been washing powder for example. We tease eachother sometimes about what things are (steak fries vs. chips) and it's all in fun. Thing is, I still prefer to use my American vocabulary and have no intention of changing things when I move over there just as I would not expect Jonny to change his vocabulary when he moves here. Sure we will get strange stares some times, but I'm sure our accents will be dead giveaways that we are not local.

ha haa!! I know what you are talking about! Got a Yorkshire bloke myself. I love to hear him talk to his co workers because it is ssoooo totally different then the accent he uses with me most of the time!

I love his accent.

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

ha haa!! I know what you are talking about! Got a Yorkshire bloke myself. I love to hear him talk to his co workers because it is ssoooo totally different then the accent he uses with me most of the time!

I love his accent.

Tell me about it, when he turns the Yorkshire up to 11, it just melts my panties. :luv:

ahh yes and I guess that should have been Aye... don know, not familiar with t' town meself luv. lol.

Life long Texan, living in Hull, UK. How did this happen?

11 January - We met online and became friends

4 February - Became a couple

17 March - I went to Hull to meet the guy

20 March - First "I love you"

25 March - I go home :(

16 November - He comes to visit me in Texas

25 November - he leaves back home :(

14 December - ENGAGED! <3

1 March- I fly off to see my babe in Hull

4 April - I go home :(

9 October - He comes back to Texas!!!!

13 October - WEDDING!!!

22 October - He goes back to England and I continue to wait for my settlement visa.

13 December 2007 - Move to England

Now the wait begins, I will become a citizen then we will DFC back to the US.

the-british-are-comming-small.jpg965-smaller.jpg

Our slide show .......... Our page on TheKnot.com

.png

I love his accent.

Tell me about it, when he turns the Yorkshire up to 11, it just melts my panties. :luv:

ahh yes and I guess that should have been Aye... don know, not familiar with t' town meself luv. lol.

*giggle*

All You Need Is Love...

*The Beatles*

I am a wife!! Whoa this is weird!

Filed: Timeline

I noticed Jonny has started picking up my accent and has even been caught saying 'Ya'll' cos I'm from Texas :dance: I did also notice that when he talks with other English people, his Yorkshire accent becomes much broader than when he talks with me, he never noticed.

D does the same thing. I didn't notice it for ages, but I can actually tell from the way he answers a phone if he's around other people. Just from the way he says 'hello' :lol: used to freak him out.

Me: *calling him*

Him: 'Alloh!'

Me: 'who's there boo?'

Him: 'Lee, how'd you know someone was here?'

Me: 'the nanny cam is on'

:lol:

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.