laudall

Adjustment of status or re entry option to minimize time apart

5 posts in this topic

Filed: Timeline

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light on the best route for my partner and I to explore in terms of visa. My partner is a US citizen in Texas. I am a British Citizen.

My partner and I have been dating since August 15- (We have spent- 4 Days together in Miami November 2015, 4 Days together in Texas January 2016, again in April for 2 weeks. I entered 15th May 2016 for 5 weeks- Traveled back to London for 2 weeks where I re entered Texas 8th July 2016. I am still in Texas now.)

Obviously given the amount of time I am spending here in Texas is proving to be troublesome on a Visa Waver Programme and becoming difficult/stressful at point of entry so we need to get my visa changed, so I am able to legally reside here in Texas as a couple. We are very much in love & naturally understand this is realistically our only option to be able to reside together.

I have read various blogs online and am somewhat concerned re the length of time some of the visa routes take; resulting in me having to return back to the UK whilst this is being processed; something we really do not want to endure.

In an ideal world, I would be able to adjust my status whilst on this trip, to prevent me having to head back to the UK & being separated. I have read somewhere that VWP entry cannot be adjusted to a Fiance visa without re point of entry, but to a full marriage visa; is this correct?

- Am i able to change status on this trip to fiance status or does this have to be marriage? Is this route risky / likely to be approved?

-If I am unable to adjust my status on this trip, but have to file papers from the UK & re enter; what would be the quickest route? We would want to know the quickest process that meant that I could legally re enter the USA and reside again together.

We really do not want to explore the latter option of being separated whilst papers are being processed.

Please may someone kindly tell us, what they personally think our best route would be.

Thank you

Filed: Country: Vietnam (no flag)
Timeline

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light on the best route for my partner and I to explore in terms of visa. My partner is a US citizen in Texas. I am a British Citizen.

My partner and I have been dating since August 15- (We have spent- 4 Days together in Miami November 2015, 4 Days together in Texas January 2016, again in April for 2 weeks. I entered 15th May 2016 for 5 weeks- Traveled back to London for 2 weeks where I re entered Texas 8th July 2016. I am still in Texas now.)

Obviously given the amount of time I am spending here in Texas is proving to be troublesome on a Visa Waver Programme and becoming difficult/stressful at point of entry so we need to get my visa changed, so I am able to legally reside here in Texas as a couple. We are very much in love & naturally understand this is realistically our only option to be able to reside together.

I have read various blogs online and am somewhat concerned re the length of time some of the visa routes take; resulting in me having to return back to the UK whilst this is being processed; something we really do not want to endure.

In an ideal world, I would be able to adjust my status whilst on this trip, to prevent me having to head back to the UK & being separated. I have read somewhere that VWP entry cannot be adjusted to a Fiance visa without re point of entry, but to a full marriage visa; is this correct? You can not adjust from the VWP to a K-1 visa or spousal visa. Adjusting means you are inside the US adjusting status. You can not adjust for a visa. A visa is for entering the US. It doesn't make sense to adjust status in the US for a visa to enter the US since your are already inside the US.

- Am i able to change status on this trip to fiance status or does this have to be marriage? Is this route risky / likely to be approved? Get marry and file for AOS. You will be allowed to stay until you get a green card. Be aware that you will be deemed to abandon your AOS if you leave without AP. You can apply for AP for free when filing for AOS. It takes about 90 days to get AP. Be aware that you will be stuck here for 3 months. This is not risky at all. Immigrant intent is a nonissue because of Matter of Batista and Matter of Cavazos.

-If I am unable to adjust my status on this trip, but have to file papers from the UK & re enter; what would be the quickest route? A K-1 fiancee visa. We would want to know the quickest process that meant that I could legally re enter the USA and reside again together.

We really do not want to explore the latter option of being separated whilst papers are being processed.

Please may someone kindly tell us, what they personally think our best route would be.

Thank you

Edited by aaron2020

If you do stay now, get married and adjust to resident status, you will not be able to leave the country for some months. Not even to go home and hand your keys back to your landlord, return your library books or move your car from the Heathrow car park. You must stay in the country until you have AP (advanced parole) which takes around 3 months after you submit the paperwork after you get married.

You cannot stay in the country as a fiancé or partner. There is no immigrant category for this. You must get married if you intend to stay. If you're not ready for marriage or it is not practical for you to stay in the country for several months, then go home and start the K-1 fiancé visa process. Currently taking 4 to 5 months for UK applicants.

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

It sounds like getting married now, and then doing AOS is your best option, you would follow this path: http://www.visajourney.com/content/i130guide2 Unless you were asked a lot of questions at your last entry into the USA, you shouldn't have any major trouble doing this. However, as mentioned you could NOT travel outside the USA, or work inside the USA for about 3 months, so that may be a problem if you have everything at home in the UK that you need to move, or finances are tight. If so, go for the K1 fiance visa; file it now, and then leave at the end of your planned stay. You can likely even visit one more time in you want, and then do the medical and interview in London if 4-5 months.

Edited by Penguin_ie

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

If you stay now, it needs to be a marriage. You won't have work and travel authorization for about 90 days after you apply for them (which you can't apply for until after you're married). You should plan on not being able to return for at least 6 months to be on the safe side.

Visas are for crossing borders, "status" is for staying/working etc. So you had your visa waived so you don't need one now. You need to adjust your status from that of a temporary tourist to something else. The 99.9% most likely route for you is to adjust to a permanent resident on the basis of marriage (that .1% is because I'm sure there's some crazy way you could adjust to some random status of a temporary agricultural worker or religious missionary or something, who knows, but honestly, that's just not going to happen).

You can't switch to a fiance visa because the fiance visa is just that-- a visa for crossing the border. You crossed it already. The status that fiances get when they cross with a fiance visa is a 90 day stay in which they must marry and adjust status to that of a permanent resident, or go home. Same as you've got but you didn't need a visa to cross because it was waived. Note: if it had been your plan to use your waived visa privileges in this way, that would be considered fraud and it is never recommended here or anywhere else. The waived visa is for business and tourism, not immigration, but they allow you to adjust from it because sometimes, plans to have a way of changing.

You may ask why fiance visas even exist then. Two reasons: one: you need to remember the overwhelming majority of people in the world does not have visa waiver program privileges that they can use (or mis-use depending on your perspective). So, if someone doesn't have VWP, or any other US visa (and may not be eligible for any other visa), how would they get onto US soil to be able to marry? Enter the fiance visa. Two-- it's actually for the protection of the fiances and for the general good of society. It gives the US government the opportunity to check and make sure that the petitioner-- the US citizen asking for this person-- is not a domestic abuser, child molester, repeat DUI etc, AND allows them to look for red flags in human trafficking. Sad but true.

You can marry now and go home and apply for a spouse visa (~12 months), or go home and apply for a fiance visa (~6 to 9 months) which would put you in the same position of needing to marry and adjust within 90 days, but this time having crossed with the intention of doing so. Or marry now, stay and adjust.

Marriage/ AOS Timeline:

23 Dec 2015: Legal marriage

23 Jan 2016: Wedding!

23 Jan 2016: "Blizzard of the Century", wedding canceled/rescheduled (thank goodness we were legally married first or we'd have had a big problem!) :sleepy:

24 Jan 2016: Small "civil ceremony" with friends and family who were snowed in with us. December was a bit of a secret and people had traveled internationally and knew we *had* to get married that weekend, and our December legal marriage was nothing but signing a piece of paper at our priest's kitchen table, without any sort of vows etc so this was actually a very special (if not legally significant) day. (L)

16 Apr 2016: Filed for AOS and EAD/AP (We delayed a bit-- no big rush, enjoying the USCIS break)

23 Apr 2016: Wedding! Finally! :luv:

27 Apr 2016: Electronic NOA1 for all 3 :dancing:
29 Apr 2016: NOA1 Hardcopy for all 3
29 Jul 2016: Online service request for late EAD (Day 104)
29 Jul 2016: EAD/AP Approved ~3 hours after online service request
04 Aug 2016: RFE for Green Card (requested medicals/ vaccination record. They already have it). :ranting:
05 Aug 2016: EAD/AP Combo Card arrived! (Day 111)
08 Aug 2016: Congressional constituent request to get guidance on the RFE. Hoping they see they have the form and approve!

K-1 Visa Timeline:

PLEASE NOTE. This timeline was during the period of time when TSC was working on I-129fs and had a huge backlog. The average processing time was 210+ days. This is in no way predictive of your own timeline if you filed during or after April 2015, unless CSC develops a backlog. A backlog is anything above the 5-month goal time listed on USCIS's site

14 Feb 2015: Mailed I-129f to Dallas Lockbox. (L) (Most expensive Valentine's card I've ever sent!)

17 Feb 2015: NOA1 "Received Date"
19 Feb 2015: NOA1 Notice Date
08 Aug 2015: NOA2 email! :luv: (173 days from NOA1)

17 Aug 2015: Sent to NVC

?? Aug 2015: Arrived at NVC

25 Aug 2015: NVC Case # Assigned

31 Aug 2015: Left NVC for Consulate in San Jose

09 Sep 2015: Consulate received :dancing: (32 days from NOA2)

11 Sep 2015: Packet 3 emailed from embassy to me, the petitioner (34 days from NOA2).

18 Sep 2015: Medicals complete

21 Sep 2015: Packet 3 complete, my boss puts a temporary moratorium on all time off due to work emergency :clock:

02 Oct 2015: Work emergency clears up, interview scheduled (soonest available was 5 business days away--Columbus Day was in there)

13 Oct 2015: Interview

13 Oct 2015: VISA APPROVED :thumbs: (236 days from NOA1)

19 Oct 2015: Visa-in-hand

24 Oct 2015: POE !

15 Dec 2015: Fiance's mother's B-2 visa interview: APPROVED! So happy she will be at the wedding! :thumbs:

!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.