3ala2masri

K1 or K3/CR-1 Visa ?

15 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Lebanon
Timeline

Hello VJ !

Here is my story:

I'm from Lebanon (Middle east) and I met that american girl on Facebook in May and we liked each other and decided to get engaged.

She came to Lebanon on the 3rd of July and today we will get engaged "only 2 months long-distance relationship and 17 days of meeting in Lebanon". So we are trying to decide which Visa to choose and we are so confused.

Her parents said we can get married "religious marriage" it means just getting married according to my religion's terms but no wedding, then apply to K3 visa but I'm afraid that this very short period of time things happened will increase the chance of getting denied especially I'm from a MENA country (high fraud) "Same concern with the CR-1 Visa".

So after reading a lot I think K1 visa is the safest choice knowing that waiting time is not an issue and also money is not an issue since I know K1 will cost the most in total.

PLEASE HELP !

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Ireland
Timeline

****** Moving from K1 visa to What Visa Do I need forum *****

A religious-only wedding does not entitle you to a spousal visa, as you are not legally married, but they may consider you "too married" for a fiance visa, so I'd recommend against that. Either marry "properly", religious and legal, or go for the K1 fiance visa. A short courtship followed by wedding at the first meeting is a red flag, but not an automatic denial, and getting married in Lebanon may be nice so your family can attend. In either case, I would recommend meeting at least once more during the visa process, and ideally her being there for the visa interview/ a third visit. Bonus if the families can meet!

BTW, the K3 is obsolete; if you go for a spousal visa, it will be the CR-1.

Bye: Penguin

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

Okay it seems I said it in a wrong way...we will get married legally also and we will get the official marriage certificate but we will not do a wedding party....but we will do engagement ceremony and take pictures.Then we do the religious and legal marriage. The only thing I'm concerned from is the very fast marriage. CR-1 visa is most probably the one I will go with and hopefully the fast marriage doesn't result in denial.

Okay it seems I said it in a wrong way...we will get married legally also and we will get the official marriage certificate but we will not do a wedding party....but we will do engagement ceremony and take pictures.Then we do the religious and legal marriage. The only thing I'm concerned from is the very fast marriage. CR-1 visa is most probably the one I will go with and hopefully the fast marriage doesn't result in denial.

If there is a legal marriage CR-1 is the only one you can go with. K-1 is for people who are not married. K-3 is obsolete. Engagement parties can be a grey area for some embassies so best to have a legal wedding (with or without parties) and go for a CR-1.

Edited by JFH

Timeline in brief:

Married: September 27, 2014

I-130 filed: February 5, 2016

NOA1: February 8, 2016 Nebraska

NOA2: July 21, 2016

Interview: December 6, 2016 London

POE: December 19, 2016 Las Vegas

N-400 filed: September 30, 2019

Interview: March 22, 2021 Seattle

Oath: March 22, 2021 COVID-style same-day oath

Now a US citizen!

Timeline

We weren't planning to get married now but we decided to get legally married just for the visa so is it better to just stay engaged and go for the K1 or to get married legally but without a wedding and go for the CR1 ?

We just want the safest choice, not fastest nor cheapest. Don't forget the very short (2 months long-distance and one month in person) relationship before engagement/marriage since this what's worrying me in case we want to do the CR1.

Edited by 3ala2masri

Timeline

Nothing is safe....

K1, if you get denied, you can drop it, get married and then apply for a CR-1 spousal visa. But you must get married in the USA so many friends and family will miss out.

CR-1 shows more of a comittment, as you are already married; it also means a longer processing time, during which she can visit you several times to strengthen your bonafide proof.

That being said, if it doesn't need to be fast, as you say, I would do neither. Have her go home, come visit again, and after the second visit, file for whichever visa you think best.

Me: Irish/ Swiss citizen, and now naturalised US citizen. Husband: USC; twin babies born Feb 08 in Ireland and a daughter in Feb 2010 in Arkansas who are all joint Irish/ USC. Did DCF (IR1) in 6 weeks via the Dublin, Ireland embassy and now living in Arkansas.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

wow...so you think the short period of time prior engagement /marriage will cause denial ? some people told me it shouldn't be a reason if I have genuine evidences and everything went well in the interview.

It doesn't have to be fast but it doesn't mean I want to wait much longer. If she went home then came to visit again then we file the application that's at least 2 years waiting till I get a visa.

On average, if K1 visa takes 6 to 8 months and CR1 visa takes 10 to 12 months then time is not an issue BETWEEN THE TWO, so if I have to choose now what would be the better choice ? Fiance visa or get married now and CR1 ?

Thank you for your time :)

Timeline

No, I did not say it would cause a denial, but it is a big red flag. That she stayed with you a month does help, at least your first visit wasn't a short one. But yes, a second visit would increase your chances, with ideally a third visit during the petition and a fourth for the interview. It helps that you seem to be of the same culture and religion, that is a positive.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

No, I did not say it would cause a denial, but it is a big red flag. That she stayed with you a month does help, at least your first visit wasn't a short one. But yes, a second visit would increase your chances, with ideally a third visit during the petition and a fourth for the interview. It helps that you seem to be of the same culture and religion, that is a positive.

Ok so please just recommend what you think is better :) right now I need to decide what to do since we just have one week before she leaves.

You have all the facts and consider this is your case, you go with K1 or marriage then CR1 ? just pick one please :D

Timeline

If it was me, I would plan a wedding for during the second visit in a few weeks/ months. Make it an official/ legal wedding, and celebrate it however that is traditionally done in your culture, and have photos to submit during the visa process. Have family there from both sides if possible. Then visit a third time for the interview.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

If it was me, I would plan a wedding for during the second visit in a few weeks/ months. Make it an official/ legal wedding, and celebrate it however that is traditionally done in your culture, and have photos to submit during the visa process. Have family there from both sides if possible. Then visit a third time for the interview.

Please understand me, I said I need to choose NOW one visa type, she can't visit anytime she wants since she has a job.

You mean we file for CR1 after the second visit when we have our wedding ? that's after at least a year from now and we can't make it that long.

So now I hope its clear to you that I just need to apply as soon as she arrives to USA, so I need to decide whether we should get married now "just legal marriage, no wedding" for the CR1 or apply for K1.

I appreciate your patience :)

Timeline

You asked me what I would do- I gave you my answer, which is designed to maximise the chances of getting the visa approved.

If you must file now, I would go for the K1, as it gives you a second chance with the CR-1 if not approved. I would NOT hold any type of wedding, or an engagement party that may be construed as a wedding (if it is very clear from the way you are dressed and the type of party that it is an engagement party that is fine, but we had cases here where the embassy interviewed friends and family who said the couple were married due to an elaborate engagement party).

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

You asked me what I would do- I gave you my answer, which is designed to maximise the chances of getting the visa approved.

If you must file now, I would go for the K1, as it gives you a second chance with the CR-1 if not approved. I would NOT hold any type of wedding, or an engagement party that may be construed as a wedding (if it is very clear from the way you are dressed and the type of party that it is an engagement party that is fine, but we had cases here where the embassy interviewed friends and family who said the couple were married due to an elaborate engagement party).

I said "right now I need to decide what to do since we just have one week before she leaves." before asking you what you would do. I thought it was clear enough that I want to file now, but never mind now you got my point.

Yes we just did a small gathering at her grandparent's house and we put engagement rings and then we went to a restaurant and had dinner then we cut a small cake. She was wearing a regular dress "not wedding dress" and I was wearing a suite.

So you think chances of getting denied is low if I apply for K1 ?

This must be my final question :D I thank you so much for your assist and patience and I wish you the best.

Edited by 3ala2masri

Timeline

You are asking a question we cannot answer for sure, because we are not the CO, and we do not know how much proof of relationship you will have by interview time. But no, I do not think your chances of denial are low; filing after only one meeting, and with a short court ship before that on top, always carries a reasonably high chance of denial.

mod penguin.jpg

Timeline

You are asking a question we cannot answer for sure, because we are not the CO, and we do not know how much proof of relationship you will have by interview time. But no, I do not think your chances of denial are low; filing after only one meeting, and with a short court ship before that on top, always carries a reasonably high chance of denial.

I understand you can't give a final answer but based on your knowledge and experience I thought you would have an opinion, but its weird that chances of denial are not low. It's only an engagement and we have a lot of chat history, pictures, engagement rings and both families are officially involved. It's not weird if a couple decided to get engaged after 3 months of communication. With all the technology nowadays meeting is no longer a requirement for engagement and I think the embassy is familiar with this fact. We just have to try out luck with the K1 then we see what happens and we decide accordingly .

Opinions from other viewers are so welcomed :D

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.