k.dlg

I-751 July 2016 Filers

2,203 posts in this topic

5 minutes ago, gb20792 said:

Honestly it makes no sense at all. They are so vague when you get transferred to a tier-2 officer, some of them will really try and help but the majority will just skip the effort and take the next call.

I called on friday and she said my case was still being processed and no decision was made yet, yesterday I called again and the officer said "have you received a letter yet?" I'm like no... He's like because you're in line for an interview, but he wasnt able to tell me if a letter was actually generated for an interview or he was just assuming because once I asked whats the last status he sees, he said that is pending consideration.

So what happens inside VSC? It's a mystery... 

It's really weird. You can order a call from an immigration officer. When I recently called CSC I said to a guy that I haven't learnt anything new from you and that all you are telling me I can see online. Then he transferred my call to a system where I could order a call from an officer. I got call back and she was more specific. What is tier-2 officer?

Edited by 4444510
To specify

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 6:08 PM, nightingalejules said:

You're right in that they often won't give the stamp too far in advance. But that wasn't the question. Can you get the stamp after the extension's expiry? Yes. Do you need to get it at all? Possibly not, if you're not planning to travel outside the US, and if you have a full-term driver's license. With a valid driver's license and a SSN, you can get a new job without needing your green card/letter/stamp at all.

Yes but no one will issue lifetime DL when you have expiration date for your legal staying in the US

On ‎7‎/‎14‎/‎2017 at 1:44 PM, silvershadow369 said:

While we're all still waiting, can I just share a horrible traveling experience I went through recently in hopes that others don't make the same mistake that I did:

TL;DR: Carry the ORIGINAL NOA extension letter with you when traveling, not a copy.

I went on a 2 week vacation to Europe with my expired green card and a copy of the NOA extension letter (i.e. not the original). Before I could leave Europe (Amsterdam Schiphol Airport) to return to the US, passport control detained me for about 25 minutes to verify that I could enter the US, as they didn't accept the copy of the NOA letter. Then, when entering the US (Chicago O'Hare Airport), I was detained again for 15 minutes, as they too didn't accept the copy of the NOA. Fortunately, US border patrol could easily look up my info and see that I was still a legal permanent resident with a ROC pending. Yes, this was very foolish of me to travel with a copy of the letter and not the original. But for anybody else that needs to travel soon, please take the original with you, and keep a copy at home. Nobody likes to be detained at any airport!

And just to comment on what someone else said...

You can certainly take a chance with this. This is sort of what happened with me (expect my NOA was still valid). They wouldn't even look at the copy of my NOA letter - they just treated it as if I entered the US on an expired green card alone. But after some questioning, in addition to searching my record, they were able to verify my residency, and allow me to re-enter.

After the whole ordeal, I told my wife that I'm never leaving the US again (...until I get my US passport :P)

25 and 15 min? Oh please, you're lucky not to get selected for the interrogation especially if you happen to travel without your wife. I know cases. It sounded like having unplanned stoke interview at the airport. 

3 minutes ago, 4444510 said:

Yes but no one will issue lifetime DL when you have expiration date for your legal staying in the US

Well, some states, like Oregon, do give a full term (in OR, 8 year) even to a conditional gc holder.

Is your timeline updated?

Oath Ceremony Dec 14th, 2018 I am finally a citizen and done with USCIS for good!

IR-1/CR-1 Visa:                            

Marriage: 2013-08-05                                   I-130 Sent: 2013-10-07                                                 I-130 NOA1: 2013-10-09                               

I-130 transferred to VSC: 2014-03-12        I-130 NOA2: 2014-03-24                                              NVC Received: 2014-04-07 

Case Number and IIN: 2014-05-05             Sent ENROLL email for EP: 2014-05-06                    Gave email addresses to NVC: 2014-05-08             

DS261 submitted: 2014-05-09                    AOS invoiced and paid: 2014-05-12                           DS261 re-submitted - GRRRR! 2014-05-21               

ENROLL conf. email: 2014-06-05               Submitted AOS documents:2014-06-08                    IV fee email received: 2014-06-23 

IV fee available and paid: 2014-06-24       DS260  submitted: 2014-06-26                                   Case Complete: 2014-07-31                                       

Interview: 2014-09-19 APPROVED!!!          Visa in Hand: 2014-09-24 (Loomis depot)                POE (Pac Hwy Crossing, BC) 2014-11-08 

SSN Card arrived (approx) 2014-11-26     Green Card arrived (approx) 2014-12-17 

Removal of Conditions - I-751:

I-751 Mailed (USPS) Aug 10, 2016             NOA: August 17, 2016 (received Aug 23)                  Biometrics Letter Sent: Sept 23, 2016

Biometrics Letter Rec'd: Sept 30, 2016     Walk-In Biometrics Oct 6, 2016                                    Infopass for I-551 stamp Aug 17, 2017   

Service Request: Dec 27, 2017                   SR Response: Jan 10, 2018 (no prediction)              Senator Inquiry: Jan 5, 2018

Senator Resp: Jan 8, 2018 (60 days)         Service Request 2: Mar 8 2018                                   Senator Inquiry 2: Mar 9 2018

SR 2 Response: Mar 12 (security checks) Senator Response 2: Mar 13, 2018                            Approval (via phone!): Mar 14, 2018

New Green Card Arrived: Mar 22, 2018

Naturalization - N-400: 

Submitted N-400 Online: Feb 4, 2018       Denied for Payment Failure: Feb 8, 2018                     Resubmitted N-400 Online Feb 8, 2018

NOA: Feb 8, 2018                                          Biometrics: Feb 26, 2018                                                Interview: Nov 2,2018 (approved)

Oath: Dec 14, 2018

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 6:00 AM, hsa12390 said:

Quick update: our 10 year GC arrived in the mail yesterday (it's green and looks very similar to the 2 year one). Took 10 days between receiving approval letter and receiving card in the mail (for those who are approved and wondering how long it takes to receive card)

No RFE and Interview? Congratulations!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
10 minutes ago, 4444510 said:

It's really weird. You can order a call from an immigration officer. When I recently called CSC I said to a guy that I haven't learnt anything new from you and that all you are telling me I can see online. Then he transferred my call to a system where I could order a call from an officer. I got call back and she was more specific. What is tier-2 officer?

How do you call the Service Centers?? Tier-2 officer is the next level of "customer service" when you call the USCIS number. Like an officer supervisor.

They have access to more info and are able to contact service centers.

-ROC Journey-
07/16/2016 - Sent package via UPS to VSC.
07/19/2016 - Package received signed by SCOSS.
07/21/2016 - Check cashed.
07/23/2016 - NOA1 received.

08/05/2016 - Biometrics Appt received. (Dated 07/29/2016)

08/08/2016 - Biometrics early walk-in.

08/07/2017 - Received approval letter. (Dated 08/03)

-Naturalization Journey-

07/17/2017 - Sent N400 form online

07/18/2017 - Electronic NOA1 received

07/22/2017 - Electronic Biometrics Appointment letter

07/31/2017 - Biometrics appointment completed (Early walk-in Original 08/10/2017)

09/20/2017 - Appointment scheduled

10/27/2017 - Citizenship interview day - Same day approved, status changed to Oath Ceremony Scheduled

12/05/2017 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!

- End of Journey - 

Just now, gb20792 said:

How do you call the Service Centers?? Tier-2 officer is the next level of "customer service" when you call the USCIS number. Like an officer supervisor.

They have access to more info and are able to contact service centers.

Well, it sounds like someone who called me back was an 2-tier officer but how then did you get direct access to  him? I called just a toll number on their website.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Venezuela
Timeline
3 minutes ago, 4444510 said:

Well, it sounds like someone who called me back was an 2-tier officer but how then did you get direct access to  him? I called just a toll number on their website.

I asked for more information on the service request I created so they transferred me.

-ROC Journey-
07/16/2016 - Sent package via UPS to VSC.
07/19/2016 - Package received signed by SCOSS.
07/21/2016 - Check cashed.
07/23/2016 - NOA1 received.

08/05/2016 - Biometrics Appt received. (Dated 07/29/2016)

08/08/2016 - Biometrics early walk-in.

08/07/2017 - Received approval letter. (Dated 08/03)

-Naturalization Journey-

07/17/2017 - Sent N400 form online

07/18/2017 - Electronic NOA1 received

07/22/2017 - Electronic Biometrics Appointment letter

07/31/2017 - Biometrics appointment completed (Early walk-in Original 08/10/2017)

09/20/2017 - Appointment scheduled

10/27/2017 - Citizenship interview day - Same day approved, status changed to Oath Ceremony Scheduled

12/05/2017 - Oath ceremony - US CITIZEN!

- End of Journey - 

In I-751 form have to fill height.

In my DL i told them my height is 5'11 and i am using the DL with height printed on 5'11.

Just checked in my primary care physician my height is 5'9.
I remembered in CR1, the physician filled my height.

Please suggest which i height have to fill DL height (5'11) or current physician height (5.9) ?

1 minute ago, MadeForEachOther_ said:

In I-751 form have to fill height.

In my DL i told them my height is 5'11 and i am using the DL with height printed on 5'11.

Just checked in my primary care physician my height is 5'9.
I remembered in CR1, the physician filled my height.

Please suggest which i height have to fill DL height (5'11) or current physician height (5.9) ?

I ensure you your height is the last thing they care about. No one is going to compare. Answering your question, in your particular case I would put the height indicated on your DL. They like when information matches.

2 minutes ago, 4444510 said:

I ensure you your height is the last thing they care about. No one is going to compare. Answering your question, in your particular case I would put the height indicated on your DL. They like when information matches.

Thanks. I will use DL height.

Hey all!

July 29th filer here, and as per the infopass officer, my 10 year GC was approved 4 days back so I should be getting it any day.

Short Summary

• VSC
  • 7/29/17: I-797 Notice of Action Receipt Date
  • 8/13/16: I-797C Notice of Action Date (biometrics letter)
  • 7/19/17: as per the infopass officer, my 10 year GC was approved 4 days ago
  • 7/19/17: InfoPass appointment (got the i-551 stamp for 6 months)
  • 7/19/17: Filed my N-400 today online (I got my conditional GC sometime in Sept 2014)

If you're a casual July filer, or a filer from a different month/board who wants the basics, you may leave. All others may move on to the next section.

Long Version

I've been following this thread for a few months now, but never created an account to contribute because - it sounded like too much work. But today I feel like I have enough to contribute, so here goes.

I'm a fellow July i-751 filer as well. I've traveled internationally multiple times with my I-797 NOA along with my expired GC. The customs officers in the US are normally familiar with the letter and they don't give me any issues. Whereas the officers in other countries, always scratch their heads and study the letter for a good 10 minutes before they let me board a plane to the US.

But anyway, since my precious I-797 NOA was was about to expire on July 29th, I got an infopass appointment for today (as directed by others on this thread). I also filed my N-400 today. So I've noted all the details below, both about the I-551 stamp and the N-400 application process.

InfoPass (I-551 stamp)

The I-551 stamp is a stamp on your passport that is good to have if your I-797 NOA is about to expire and you are still waiting for your 10 year GC. This stamp basically lets you continue working and also travel abroad.

All you have to do is go to the infopass website and make an appointment. Be aware though that you might not get an appointment immediately. The first date I could get was 2 weeks in the future (I'm in NY).

The appointment itself was quick. I was in the building for less than 20 minutes.

The officer asked me for the below documents: 

-- passport

-- expired green card

-- I-797 NOA extension letter

-- I-797C - Biometrics appointment letter from a year ago (along with the stamp on the form that said I did in fact go for my appointment)

The officer asked me why I wanted the i-551 stamp and I said that my work required it to continue working. So he asked me what I did for work. 

He looked up my file and was surprised to find that my case was already IR6 whereas my expired GC said CR6 (which I later deduced meant conditional resident). After some more investigation, they informed me that my application was approved 4 days ago, so my 10 year GC should be in the mail. They gave me a I-551 stamp that's valid for 6 months.

N-400 application

I came home from my appointment and decided to file my N-400 online. I am also $725 short after completing that application - the portal lets you pay either with your bank account or with a credit card (hello rewards points! always a bright side, right?).

The below information is for an N-400 application if you're married to a US citizen. I don't know if it applies to other types of applications.

This is where you file: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/ 
Make sure you bookmark that link because I had a hard finding that link after I got lost in the interweb. No amount of googling was able to get me back to that link.

You might need to create a new account. I learned that you can't use the same username/password that you use to check for your I-797 case status. This is a different portal altogether.

You can also print out the 21 pages of the application and fill it out by hand (which I had done initially before I found out about the online portal, at which point I shredded everything - all those poor trees).

The only confusing question on the application was the line that asked me for my "USCIS Online Account Number". I left it blank. After a bit of googling I had found that if you've never made a payment via their portal, you most likely don't have a "USCIS online account number".

If you're applying online, I would suggest making sure that you have scanned copies of the below documents together before starting just to make things easier:

• marriage certificate
  • tax documents (3 years) - to prove that you pay your taxes
  • mortgage/lease documents (if any)
  • joint insurance documents (if any)
  • spouse's birthday certificate/passport or other proof that they are a citizen
  • your green card (front and back)

You will also need the below information (along with start and end dates) - this was the most painful part of the application since I had to look up the various dates:

• 5 year history of work/school
  • 5 year history of addresses where you lived
  • 5 year history of international travel

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
5 hours ago, 4444510 said:

Dear July filers, since you're the closest ones to start receiving your GC, we, August and September filers will highly appreciate if, after receiving your GC, you let us know here so we would be ready. Because I know many just abandon forums upon successful resolution of their cases without letting us know.

Oh believe me I will definitely let you know as soon as I receive my GC :) 

In the meantime sit comfy and don't think about this tedious process... 

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Italy
Timeline
1 hour ago, joo-lye-fai-lar said:

Hey all!

July 29th filer here, and as per the infopass officer, my 10 year GC was approved 4 days back so I should be getting it any day.

Short Summary

• VSC
  • 7/29/17: I-797 Notice of Action Receipt Date
  • 8/13/16: I-797C Notice of Action Date (biometrics letter)
  • 7/19/17: as per the infopass officer, my 10 year GC was approved 4 days ago
  • 7/19/17: InfoPass appointment (got the i-551 stamp for 6 months)
  • 7/19/17: Filed my N-400 today online (I got my conditional GC sometime in Sept 2014)

If you're a casual July filer, or a filer from a different month/board who wants the basics, you may leave. All others may move on to the next section.

Long Version

I've been following this thread for a few months now, but never created an account to contribute because - it sounded like too much work. But today I feel like I have enough to contribute, so here goes.

I'm a fellow July i-751 filer as well. I've traveled internationally multiple times with my I-797 NOA along with my expired GC. The customs officers in the US are normally familiar with the letter and they don't give me any issues. Whereas the officers in other countries, always scratch their heads and study the letter for a good 10 minutes before they let me board a plane to the US.

But anyway, since my precious I-797 NOA was was about to expire on July 29th, I got an infopass appointment for today (as directed by others on this thread). I also filed my N-400 today. So I've noted all the details below, both about the I-551 stamp and the N-400 application process.

InfoPass (I-551 stamp)

The I-551 stamp is a stamp on your passport that is good to have if your I-797 NOA is about to expire and you are still waiting for your 10 year GC. This stamp basically lets you continue working and also travel abroad.

All you have to do is go to the infopass website and make an appointment. Be aware though that you might not get an appointment immediately. The first date I could get was 2 weeks in the future (I'm in NY).

The appointment itself was quick. I was in the building for less than 20 minutes.

The officer asked me for the below documents: 

-- passport

-- expired green card

-- I-797 NOA extension letter

-- I-797C - Biometrics appointment letter from a year ago (along with the stamp on the form that said I did in fact go for my appointment)

The officer asked me why I wanted the i-551 stamp and I said that my work required it to continue working. So he asked me what I did for work. 

He looked up my file and was surprised to find that my case was already IR6 whereas my expired GC said CR6 (which I later deduced meant conditional resident). After some more investigation, they informed me that my application was approved 4 days ago, so my 10 year GC should be in the mail. They gave me a I-551 stamp that's valid for 6 months.

N-400 application

I came home from my appointment and decided to file my N-400 online. I am also $725 short after completing that application - the portal lets you pay either with your bank account or with a credit card (hello rewards points! always a bright side, right?).

The below information is for an N-400 application if you're married to a US citizen. I don't know if it applies to other types of applications.

This is where you file: https://myaccount.uscis.dhs.gov/ 
Make sure you bookmark that link because I had a hard finding that link after I got lost in the interweb. No amount of googling was able to get me back to that link.

You might need to create a new account. I learned that you can't use the same username/password that you use to check for your I-797 case status. This is a different portal altogether.

You can also print out the 21 pages of the application and fill it out by hand (which I had done initially before I found out about the online portal, at which point I shredded everything - all those poor trees).

The only confusing question on the application was the line that asked me for my "USCIS Online Account Number". I left it blank. After a bit of googling I had found that if you've never made a payment via their portal, you most likely don't have a "USCIS online account number".

If you're applying online, I would suggest making sure that you have scanned copies of the below documents together before starting just to make things easier:

• marriage certificate
  • tax documents (3 years) - to prove that you pay your taxes
  • mortgage/lease documents (if any)
  • joint insurance documents (if any)
  • spouse's birthday certificate/passport or other proof that they are a citizen
  • your green card (front and back)

You will also need the below information (along with start and end dates) - this was the most painful part of the application since I had to look up the various dates:

• 5 year history of work/school
  • 5 year history of addresses where you lived
  • 5 year history of international travel

Thank you for posting this. I have a few questions:

1) did you find it easy to fill online?

2) did the USCIS officer suggested to apply online? (I am asking because being a new process I am not sure how to trust it)

3) how did you make copies of your GC if you have not received it? (or did you make copies of your expired one?)

4) I have been here (USA) since Dec 2013 but don't have 3 years worth of taxes because the first year I did not work. Will the last 2 be sufficient?

Thank you in advance.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.