Stevephoto

Awesome trip to the Philippines!

6 posts in this topic

Joan and I just got back from a great two week stay in the Philippines and I wanted to share some of things we learned/did to make this as smooth a trip as possible---the information may be especially important for those traveling to the Philippines for the first time (or haven't gone in a while). We traveled a lot---probably waaay too much--Honolulu to Manila; Manila to Bulacan; Bulacan to Zambales (with the whole family!); Zambales to Manila; Manila to El Nido; El Nido to Manila; Manila to Bulacan; Bulacan to Manila and Manila to Honolulu! Yikes! Here are our thoughts:

1) Transportation within Manila (i.e. to and from the airport)--We stayed at the Lotus Garden Hotel (as always) in Manila. It is in a rough area, but close to St. Lukes and the Embassy for those going through the process. The hotel is safe, CLEAN, and the staff is super friendly. The hotel has it's own transportation service that was comparable to other services. We chose the "known" option and were very pleased. They waited for us at the airport for three hours when our flight from Palawan was delayed. (Note: flights within the Philippines are always delayed!) Awesome service!

2) Transportation outside of Manila: We found a family owned business via our connections with VJ and FB. One of our "friends" who have gone through the K-1 process during the same time frame we did connected us with her sister and brother-in-law with a van big enough for our family trip at very reasonable (by US standards) prices. We hired them for 6 trips and were very happy--just remember to build in Manila traffic time into your plans (i.e., allow for one to two hour delays). Send me a private message and I'll connect you to this service.

3) Airports: Contrary to popular belief (and comments from Philippine Airlines), PAL Express from Manila to Puerta Princessa Palawan flies in and out of Terminal 3 NOT terminal 2!! Trust us, we rode the shuttle between the terminals! NO problems at all with the "bullet scam." (GO RODDY!) No terminal fee leaving Manila (included in ticket price), P200 each terminal fee leaving Palawan. P200 "exemption" travel tax for Joan who has her green card. I am disabled and the wheelchair assistance was excellent.

4) Palawan shuttles: We pre-booked our van travel with Eulan Joy vans through the El Nido Paradise website and had no problem. Ask to be dropped off/picked up at your hotel rather than the terminal (extra P100, but well worth it after a 5- hour ride to El Nido).

5) Hotels: Lotus Garden Manila 5 stars; RAMA International (Zambales) 4 stars (a few added expenses that caught us off guard, but good service and a room big enough for 10 members of our family); Lally and Ebet Cottages in El Nido 4 stars (excellent service, great location, lousy shower!); DJ Paradise Resort (Bulacan) 2 stars (air con remote control is held at the front desk--WHAT???, NO toilet paper during our second visit, filthy "floor towel", stinky tap water in the bathroom, luke warm shower water---BUT they did not mind our two family parties in our room!)

6) Manila--did I mention the traffic?!!!

El Nido is spectacular, but be prepared for a 12-13 hour door to door trip to get there and back! Relax, go and enjoy the unbelievable beauty of the Philippines!

post-139580-0-10970800-1467780543_thumb.jpg

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
Joan got her passport! 2/20/13
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13
Embassy Interview APPROVED 6/6/13

Joan passed through immigration in Hawaii! She's home! 6/13/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

AOS, EAD and AP petitions sent to Chicago via Express Mail

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

AOS Interview APPROVED 11/26/13

2-year Green Card in hand 12/5/13

ROC (I-751) sent to CSC via USPS Express Mail 8/31/15

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

ROC Approval 4/6/16 (waiting for actual card)

Permanent Green Card Arrived 4/14/16
Naturalization Interview 2/22/17 APPROVED!

Oath Ceremony 3/21/17--Joan is a US Citizen!

Dual Citizenship 7/7/22 Joan is now a Dual US/Filipino Citizen!

Kayak small lagoon crop 10 72 for VJ.jpg

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Mexico
Timeline

Awesome!! I'm super jealous!

I haven't been back to the Philippines since i immigrated 7 years ago. Godly 2018 or 2019 would be the year.

I just have a quick question, how much pocket money do you suggest for 2 weeks. I would probably pay for the whole family, about 10 people including me. Roughly to have a great time maybe go to Boracay or palawan.

AOS from h2a visa, marriage based.

Filed I 130, I 485, I 131 and I 765 concurrently,

5/11/2018 Priority date; sent to Missouri, MSCxxxxxxxxx

6/15/2018 Biometrics appointment, Houston TX

7/11/2018 RFE for Birth Certificate

7/23/2018 Sent BC in response to RFE

7/31/2018 Confirmation of receipt of the BC

8/3/2018 received courtesy letter for medical 

8/6/2018 Case is ready to be scheduled for interview

9/19/2018 EAD/AP approved

9/20/2018 EAD/AP card in production 

9/24/2018 EAD/AP card is ready to be mailed

9/25/2018 EAD/AP card is mailed, usps tracking included in online update

9/27/2018 EAD/AP card picked up at post office

I-130 for 2 husband's daughters (my step daughters) 10 and 17

5/11/2018 Priority Date; sent to Nebraska Service Center, LINxxxxxxxxx

Waiting game for ALL cases!

Awesome!! I'm super jealous!

I haven't been back to the Philippines since i immigrated 7 years ago. Godly 2018 or 2019 would be the year.

I just have a quick question, how much pocket money do you suggest for 2 weeks. I would probably pay for the whole family, about 10 people including me. Roughly to have a great time maybe go to Boracay or palawan.

We brought....and spent, almost $2,400.00, but we had to pay for one hotel (in Zambales---with the whole family) in cash, so that was $500.00 right there plus all the traveling was another $500.00 plus. Joan and I probably spent less than $1,000.00 on ourselves including tours in El Nido, meals, and souvenirs. The tours in El Nido were roughly $30.00 each for full days including lunch. Have a blast!

Hey Steve! Thanks for the updates. Hi to Joan...

12 - 13 hours to reach El Nido, good to know. Thanks.

Hi Hank!!!! Yes, it is a long day getting from the hotel in Manila to the hotel in El Nido, but well worth it in hindsight!

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

You forgot to tell everyone that there is no ATM in El nido. Need to take plenty of cash with you

You forgot to tell everyone that there is no ATM in El nido. Need to take plenty of cash with you

Actually we passed a BPI in El Nido! I'm not sure if it is a new branch or not and we did not stop in to see if it had an ATM, but yes, we brought cash!

Mahalo/Salamat!

Steve and Joan
Met on Facebook 2/24/12
Met in person 6/5/12
Second visit 10/2/12
Engaged 10/3/12
NOA10/15/12
Third visit 12/10/12
NOA2 4/24/13
Fourth visit 5/28/13
CFO 5/30/13

MARRIED 8/24/13

EAD/AP Received 11/13/13

ROC check cashed 9/4/15

ROC Biometrics 10/1/15

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.