HeavensAngel

New SIGN after marriage ! AOS HELP please (merged thread)

12 posts in this topic

Hi vj family !

We are applying for AOS, and almost there to send the packet ..my wife changed her name after our marriage & now we have to sign in the AOS forms and various other places ...but she has not changed her sign yet ..and I think as she changed her name & her old sign(signatures ) says her old name !

Now in this case do we have to file some kind of "petition for name change"??

How this gonna work ,she has until now her Socual security card with her new name after marriage ? Can she simply sign the new signature or process is more complex ?

As USCIS previously have her old signature in K-1 packet when we first apply for ..does it gonna make difference with old and new sign of her ? If yes what possibly we can do & where to start as she has her SS card with her new name now ,but we didn't sign on the card as we don't know if she can sign the card with new name ,when she has her old sign with rest of other places ..like bank,driving license,lease etc...Does USCIS will ask for old sign or new sign is fine with them ..if not ..what we will be doing as she need her new sign as her name is changed now after marriage

Any suggestion please ..will be appreciated

Bless & peace

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Mexico
Timeline

You change your name, you sign with the new name. You keep trying to make everything more complicated than it is. You can even make your signature some characters and/or scribbly lines...Xs and Os... it doesn't matter. Your signature is yours. Just make it the same across all documents from now on.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Ok do my wife has to change her name in passport too? As she has all the stamps of entry and exit when she visited me ...she changed her name on SSN card ..so how to work on it ?? As I think if we gonna go to passport office they will keep this passport to issue new ?? We are sending her passport with AOS packet ??

How this gonna work ? Suggestion pls

Ok we are thinking if my wife has to change her name in passport too? As she has all the stamps of entry and exit when she visited me ...she has changed her name on SSN card after we are married now ..so how to work on it ?? As I think if we gonna go to passport office they will keep her old passport to issue new one ??and new one gonna has no stamps ?? We are sending her passport with AOS packet ?? I'm just wandering as her name in all the AOS forms & social security card and driving license has been changed now & as you know we have to send her passport with AOS packet. If her old name is there ..does it a problem ? Or we need to change passport with her new name ??

How this gonna work ? Suggestion pls

Edited by HeavensAngel

Have you even figured it out if her name change is legal yet? (Using your first name as her last name).

http://www.visajourney.com/forums/topic/598163-wife-last-name-is-husband-first-name-advice-pls-aos/

Done with K1, AOS and ROC

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

There's no rush to renew her passport. On the forms she will be asked to also supply other names used = her maiden name. Your marriage certificate will be the bridge between her maiden and married name.

Oh, don't send the passport with the application BTW. Send a copy.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

I am the one who married her & she has her old name on our marriage certificate !

But once we got married last month ,she changed her name on driving license ,social security already ..I am confused about her name in passport !

Any more opinion please

Filed: AOS (apr) Country: Norway
Timeline

You're not the first to be in your situation. Everyone has their "old" name in the marriage certificate. But, it also shows the name of their spouse, and USCIS allows you to alter your (her) name to the one of their spouse (as shown on the marriage certificate). The name on her passport really does not matter.

If it isn't difficult, it isn't worth it.

K1 process

9/24/15: I129f sent

9/30/15: NOA1

11/2/15: NOA2

Delayed processing due to work

3/15/16: Medical

4/28/16: Interview (approved)

Delayed entry due to work

8/12/16: POE Detroit

9/4/16: Wedding!

AOS process:

9/9/16: I485/I131/I765 sent

9/14/16: Received 3xNOAs by text/e-mail (day 2)

9/14-18/16: Received 3xpaper NOAs 

9/23/16: Received biometrics appointment letter (day 11)

10/3/16: Biometrics appointment (day 19)

11/4/16: EAD+AP approved (day 53)

11/16/16: EAD status changed to card shipped (day 65)

11/17/16: EAD/AP combo card received (day 66)

12/30/16: Notice of interview scheduled (day 109)

2/1/17: AOS interview (day 142) - APPROVED

2/8/17: GC received (day 150)

ROC process:

11/3/2018: ROC window opens

Timeline

You don't send the passport with AOS. You send copies of certain pages that it asks for in the form instructions. You will need the passport for ID for biometrics appointment, and would need it again if you get an interview. So, if you have to send away the old passport and wait months to get a new one, then I would wait until after you have the green card in new name before changing the passport.

Link to K-1 instructions for Ciudad Juarez, Mexico > https://travel.state.gov/content/dam/visas/K1/CDJ_Ciudad-Juarez-2-22-2021.pdf

Timeline

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Same/similar-themed topics merged~

~No need to start a new thread, continue with same topic~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.