beatrice25

How can a minor US Citizen extend his stay in the Philippines?

17 posts in this topic

Filed: AOS (pnd) Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! My 13 and 17 yo brothers-in-law are here in the Philippines. The 13yo was born in US, while the 17 yo is naturalized. Their mom is a US citizen, while their dad is a naturalized citizen but was deported in 2007.

They are supposed to stay here in the Philippines for 40 days. 17yo was given 1 year visa-free stay, while the 13yo was given 30days only.

Question: How can the 13yo extend his stay in the Philippines? I read somewhere that he needs to apply for a tourist visa.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ecuador
Timeline

When i needed to stay longer than the normal 90 days in Ecuador, i went to the US embassy and requested an extension

you said he is US citizen, so that would be the normal process

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

When i needed to stay longer than the normal 90 days in Ecuador, i went to the US embassy and requested an extension

you said he is US citizen, so that would be the normal process

US embassy has nothing to do with him staying in Philippines, they don't care if he overstays

Go to the immigration office there, apply for an extension. Had they applied for his citizenship, he could have stayed as long as he wanted. His father likely still could apply for Philippine dual citizenship of both his sons, and then they could stay as long as they want. Skipping reporting a birth abroad caused this problem. The father became a US citizen but then got deported from the US or the Philippines?

K1 from the Philippines
Arrival : 2011-09-08
Married : 2011-10-15
AOS
Date Card Received : 2012-07-13
EAD
Date Card Received : 2012-02-04

Sent ROC : 4-1-2014
Noa1 : 4-2-2014
Bio Complete : 4-18-2014
Approved : 6-24-2014

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Filed: Other Country: Philippines
Timeline

Hi! My 13 and 17 yo brothers-in-law are here in the Philippines. The 13yo was born in US, while the 17 yo is naturalized. Their mom is a US citizen, while their dad is a naturalized citizen but was deported in 2007.

They are supposed to stay here in the Philippines for 40 days. 17yo was given 1 year visa-free stay, while the 13yo was given 30days only.

Question: How can the 13yo extend his stay in the Philippines? I read somewhere that he needs to apply for a tourist visa.

Their dad is Filipino? They are both Filipino by birth. Were the births reported through the Philippine consulate? If not get it done. Once the births are recorded with the PSA in the Philippines, keep a copy of the PSA BC handy ... done. Citizens can stay as long as they chose.

Hank

"Chance Favors The Prepared Mind"

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Their dad is Filipino? They are both Filipino by birth. Were the births reported through the Philippine consulate? If not get it done. Once the births are recorded with the PSA in the Philippines, keep a copy of the PSA BC handy ... done. Citizens can stay as long as they chose.

They will also need to get a Philippine passport though. Just reporting the birth will still leave them with a penalty to pay if they don't get the passport.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Go to the immigration office there, apply for an extension. Had they applied for his citizenship, he could have stayed as long as he wanted. His father likely still could apply for Philippine dual citizenship of both his sons, and then they could stay as long as they want. Skipping reporting a birth abroad caused this problem. The father became a US citizen but then got deported from the US or the Philippines?

Thanks, Caryh! We will request for an extension of stay from the Immigration office here. According to the Immigration website, the request costs around Php 3,000 i- 5,000.

Which do you think is a better option, the mom will apply for their dual citizenship in the Philippine consulate in California OR the father will apply here?

Their father was deported from the US. Not sure if he was denaturalized after he was deported.

Timeline

They will also need to get a Philippine passport though. Just reporting the birth will still leave them with a penalty to pay if they don't get the passport.

There isn't time to get a passport, they would have to pay the fee, which in reality isn't huge.

only hiccup they have is the younger child wasn't treated as a returning Philippine citizen... he too should have gotten the balikbayan stamp

Being they don't have lots of time, heading to BI is the best bet.

Thanks, Caryh! We will request for an extension of stay from the Immigration office here. According to the Immigration website, the request costs around Php 3,000 i- 5,000.

Which do you think is a better option, the mom will apply for their dual citizenship in the Philippine consulate in California OR the father will apply here?

Their father was deported from the US. Not sure if he was denaturalized after he was deported.

Father will apply, he is the Filipino.

Deported a naturalized citizen? That means he lost his U.S. citizenship. ???

https://www.uscis.gov/policymanual/HTML/PolicyManual-Volume12-PartK-Chapter5.html

Edited by Hank_

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

The father should be able to do it there. If they have enough time on their trip, if they also get Philippine passports, they can stay as long as they like. Otherwise just do the tourist extensions, and then possibly do the recognition of birth and get passports in California when they get back, so they're not wasting trip time while over there. What works out best is all going to depend on how long they'll be there. If they have the time, get it done and over with there. If not, do it in the US when they get back so they're ready for their next trip.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

There isn't time to get a passport, they will have to pay the fee, which in reality isn't huge.

only hiccup they have is the younger child wasn't treated as a returning Philippine citizen... he too should have gotten the balikbayan stamp

Father will apply, he is the Filipino.

Yeah, I'm not sure what their time frame is. If he mentioned it, I missed it.The younger is in kind of a grey area, without the recognition of birth abroad, he may not be able to get it unless entering the country with a parent who is or was a Philippine citizen. But usually they're much looser with handing them out.

edit - reread the original post, yes only 40 days, the extension is the way to go now. Unless immigration decides to upgrade his stamp.

Edited by Caryh

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Thanks again Caryh and Hank! BTW Hank, I am frequenting your site for since my fiancé and I are currently processing our K1. Thank you gentlemen! Have a good day! :)

Timeline

Yeah, I'm not sure what their time frame is. If he mentioned it, I missed it.The younger is in kind of a grey area, without the recognition of birth abroad, he may not be able to get it unless entering the country with a parent who is or was a Philippine citizen. But usually they're much looser with handing them out.

edit - reread the original post, yes only 40 days, the extension is the way to go now. Unless immigration decides to upgrade his stamp.

The parents seemed to have dropped the ball with the youngest in not reporting the birth at the consulate for their state. If they had done that and he was not traveling with the Filipino parent a copy of the PSA birth certificate would handle getting the balikbayan when using a U.S. passport.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

The parents seemed to have dropped the ball with the youngest in not reporting the birth at the consulate for their state. If they had done that and he was not traveling with the Filipino parent a copy of the PSA birth certificate would handle getting the balikbayan when using a U.S. passport.

Which isn't really all that uncommon. I know many people who never bothered to register marriage or births, as they assume the parent will get US citizenship and kids will just stay in the USA when they're grown. I'd prefer not to make that choice for them.

K1 from the Philippines
AOS
EAD

N-400 sent 2-13-2016
Bio Complete 3-14-2016
Interview
Oath Taking

Timeline

Which isn't really all that uncommon. I know many people who never bothered to register marriage or births, as they assume the parent will get US citizenship and kids will just stay in the USA when they're grown. I'd prefer not to make that choice for them.

Yes I have bumped into that often as well. Later I get a PM ... Help! ... now they want to fix it.

Hank

Picture

“LET’S GO BRANDON!”

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Philippines
Timeline

Deported?

Rarely hear about anyone getting deported from USA

What was the story there?

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.