bairesgirl

Apply under the 3 yrs rule or 5 yrs rule... having a "dilemma"..

5 posts in this topic

Hello everyone!!
I hope this is the last post I make here before sending my papers in ( Hopefully tomorrow cause I have everything ready) cause for some reason I m getting stressed and probably for no reason at all.

In late July it's gonna be 5 yrs since I became a permanent resident and from what I read on the USCIS website you can apply up to 90 days before the 5 yrs rule and the 3 yrs rule as well.
I 've spent quite sometime putting all papers together cause my idea was to apply based on the fact that I m married to an american citizen, I want to believe I have enough evidence ( 2 joint bank accounts statements, car insurance paperwork, vehicle registration showing both names, life insurance paperwork, joint credit cards info, bills with both names on, etc.
I spent so much time making copies of everything that in the one hand I would feel a bit weird sending everything under the 5 yr rule.
When I read the docs they ask for with the 5 yrs rule, it almost seem too easy cause it seems much more simple than the 3 yrs one..
Maybe I m creating a problem in my head... I don't know..
For the 5 yrs rule I understand you gotta send:
* The N400 form
* the 2 pictures ( passport style)
* Front and back copies from permanent resident card
* Marriage certificate or divorce papers to back up your current marital status

Is there anything else they ask for??

I talked to a friend who worked for my former immigration lawyer for yrs and she said I could apply either way and do well most likely...
She said something like when you apply under the 5 yrs rule, the interview it s more about you and if you apply under the 3 yrs, they may ask more questions about you being married with the american citizen and stuff like that..
I would like to hear opinions about people that filed the papers under either rule to help me decide what to do.
I don 't really know why I m so worried, my marriage it s real and we are gonna celebrate our 6 yr anniversary in October.
Maybe the fact that we don't have kids ( not cause we don't want to, it s cause unfortunately I suffer from infertility issues, we lost a couple pregnancies last yr) makes me think they will suspect our marriage is not truthful, I don't know..
All I could think about yesterday was this subject and I woke up today thinking about it again and I wanna make a decision today cause I m getting too stressed by it :(
Thank you so much for reading my pretty long post!!! and good luck to everyone that s gonna file soon!!

L

Oh u can be sure I will include the check with everything :) he he I heard they don't even touch the rest of the papers if u don t pay the fee...lol
Considering I ve spent so many months gathering information and evidence about my hubby and me being together I think I m gonna apply under the 3 yrs rule.
I mean I do have the info and it took me a while to get everything ready and make copies of everything so.. I will send the big package :)
Wish me luck everyone!!!! I should be sending everything tomorrow! :)

L

I had the same dilemma.... we were going to apply under the 3-year rule and got all the papers ready, sent them off, and, because of a family medical emergency in the UK, I couldn't attend the interview, couldn't get to cancel my interview in time (1 day's notice)

I wrote a letter to USCIS afterwards to reschedule my interview, but didn't get round to following up.

I reapplied under the 5-year rule, a whole lot less paperwork to send.

When I turned up for the interview, the interviewing officer looked at my file on his desk, smiled and said "You've got far too much paperwork".

I guess, my point is, to file under the 5-year rule, all the marriage stuff isn't really necessary or relevant. Keep it simple would be my advice.:)

Old and Grumpy....But an American Citizen!!!

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.