10 posts in this topic

So I got an email asking me to fill out a DS-260. Now as I understand, this is for my wife (who I'm petitioning for) to fill, correct? I am currently living with her in China BTW just to make things clear.

One of the question in the DS-260 under section "Family Information: Spouse," I input myself (since I'm filling this out for her). Then at the very bottom, it asks "Is your spouse immigrating to the U.S. with you?" Yes or No. Say what? Why do I need to "immigrate" if I am already a US citizen?

If I put Yes, it doesn't ask me any other questions. If I put No, it will ask "Is your spouse immigrating to the U.S. at a later date to join you?"

I am a little confused about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by turbocomppro

I think it just means if you're traveling together to the US by the time the visa gets approved

Edited by jannapalmer

(L) TEAM AWESOME (L)
CR1 Visa Journey via DCF (US Embassy Manila)

Apr 15, 2016 - Filed petition I-130 at USEM
Apr 22, 2016 - Petition Approved/Received NOA
May 2, 2016 - Received MNL Case Number, filed DS260
May 3, 2016 -   SLEC (Day1)
May 5, 2016 -   CFO Seminar
May 11, 2016 - SLEC (Day2) + release of med records
May 12, 2016 - Received email with instructions re: IV
May 23, 2016 - Interview at USEM Manila - APPROVED!!!
Jun 7, 2016 -   Visa home delivered by 2GO
Jun 8, 2016 -   CFO sticker and registration
Jun 13, 2016 - POE at Chicago O'Hare

Jun 20, 2016 - Social Security home delivered
July 25, 2016 - Green Card home delivered

Apr 19, 2018 -  Petition I-751 sent to USCIS California Service Center

May 30, 2018 - NOA received

Mar 15, 2019 - Biometrics appointment for I-751

Mar 20, 2019 -  Petition I-751 approved

Mar 27, 2019 -  10-year Green Card received in mail

Sep 24, 2020 -  N400 application sent online; biometrics reused (no addt'l appt)

Jan 14, 2021 -  N400 interview/test scheduled - APPROVED

Jan 19, 2021 -  Oath-taking ceremony!

:dance: For a more detailed step-by-step walk-through with photos of requirements, you can check my blog entry :dance:

CR1 Visa Process via DCF

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

So I got an email asking me to fill out a DS-260. Now as I understand, this is for my wife (who I'm petitioning for) to fill, correct? I am currently living with her in China BTW just to make things clear.

One of the question in the DS-260 under section "Family Information: Spouse," I input myself (since I'm filling this out for her). Then at the very bottom, it asks "Is your spouse immigrating to the U.S. with you?" Yes or No. Say what? Why do I need to "immigrate" if I am already a US citizen?

If I put Yes, it doesn't ask me any other questions. If I put No, it will ask "Is your spouse immigrating to the U.S. at a later date to join you?"

I am a little confused about this. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

The answer is NO you are not immigrating. Citizens don't immigrate. This application is used for all kinds of Visa types like work Visa where the immigrant employee is bringing their spouse. They of course would check the YES.

Case Complete to Interview spreadsheet

From now on your VJ Member name will be verified. If the name you put on form to be added to spreadsheet comes up not found, you will not be added to the spreadsheet. If you don't have a timeline you will not be added to the spreadsheet.

Please Please put your VJ member name only. Not nicknames or real names whatever your VJ name is. It's below your profile picture!!

Come join the current Interview thread: 

DQ-to-Interview-2023-all-countries

Case Complete to Interview Spreadsheet
Case Complete to Interview Form

ROC I-751
5/21/2018: Filed i751 ROC
6/12/2018: NOA1 Date
3/5/2019: Biometrics Appt
12/28/2019: 18 month Extension has expired
1/9/2020: InfoPass Appt to get stamp in Passport
2/27/2020: Combo Interview (ROC and Citizenship)
3/31/2020: submitted service request for being pass normal processing time
4/7/2020: Card being produced
4/8/2020: Approved
4/10/2020: Card mailed
4/15/2020: 10 year green card received

N-400
5/21/2019: Filed Online
5/21/2019: NOA1 Date
6/13/2019: Biometrics Appt
2/27/2020: Citizenship Interview
4/7/2020: In queue for Oath Ceremony to be scheduled
6/19/2020: Notice Oath Ceremony scheduled
7/8/2020: Oath Ceremony (Houston)

Dwheels is completely correct. You are the spouse for the applicant/beneficiary. No you are not immigrating. A USC moves to the USA, they do not immigrate there.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Oh #######. I already submitted and I put down yes. I can't make any changes now. I hope it's nothing serious though... I think I should of put No on both questions since a No on "Is your spouse immigrating to the U.S. at a later date to join you?" is technically correct, it just sounds extremely weird.

A quick question: At the interview, is the interviewer a U.S. citizen or a Chinese Citizen? I'm just curious about this...

Edited by turbocomppro

Filed: Lift. Cond. (apr) Country: China
Timeline

~Attempted topic diversion postings moved to new thread~

~ It is considered bad forum etiquette to attempt to divert current topic, start own thread~

Pitaya

VJ Moderation

Completed: K1/K2 (271 days) - AOS/EAD/AP (134 days) - ROC (279 days)

"Si vis amari, ama" - Seneca

Oh #######. I already submitted and I put down yes. I can't make any changes now. I hope it's nothing serious though... I think I should of put No on both questions since a No on "Is your spouse immigrating to the U.S. at a later date to join you?" is technically correct, it just sounds extremely weird.

A quick question: At the interview, is the interviewer a U.S. citizen or a Chinese Citizen? I'm just curious about this...

the key word was "immigrating"

It's not a huge deal. Correct it at interview.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Thanks for the info guys. I figured this is just a basic questionnaire after I got to the part where it was asking if my wife was/is a spy and such. I just hope it's not enough to delay the processing.

As for the other question, I was reading reviews of other people's interview on here and one mentioned the interviewer said at the end: "welcome to the US." So I'm assuming the interviewer is a US Citizen.

Hi, I was gonna edit my response to you coz I realized how it can be misleading but the edit/delete button was no longer available. Sorry about that. Good thing there are others who provided the right info. As for the interview, I dunno about your embassy but as far as I know there's usually a local CO or CO from your country who does the pre-screening and an american CO who does the main interview..

(L) TEAM AWESOME (L)
CR1 Visa Journey via DCF (US Embassy Manila)

Apr 15, 2016 - Filed petition I-130 at USEM
Apr 22, 2016 - Petition Approved/Received NOA
May 2, 2016 - Received MNL Case Number, filed DS260
May 3, 2016 -   SLEC (Day1)
May 5, 2016 -   CFO Seminar
May 11, 2016 - SLEC (Day2) + release of med records
May 12, 2016 - Received email with instructions re: IV
May 23, 2016 - Interview at USEM Manila - APPROVED!!!
Jun 7, 2016 -   Visa home delivered by 2GO
Jun 8, 2016 -   CFO sticker and registration
Jun 13, 2016 - POE at Chicago O'Hare

Jun 20, 2016 - Social Security home delivered
July 25, 2016 - Green Card home delivered

Apr 19, 2018 -  Petition I-751 sent to USCIS California Service Center

May 30, 2018 - NOA received

Mar 15, 2019 - Biometrics appointment for I-751

Mar 20, 2019 -  Petition I-751 approved

Mar 27, 2019 -  10-year Green Card received in mail

Sep 24, 2020 -  N400 application sent online; biometrics reused (no addt'l appt)

Jan 14, 2021 -  N400 interview/test scheduled - APPROVED

Jan 19, 2021 -  Oath-taking ceremony!

:dance: For a more detailed step-by-step walk-through with photos of requirements, you can check my blog entry :dance:

CR1 Visa Process via DCF

Thanks for the info guys. I figured this is just a basic questionnaire after I got to the part where it was asking if my wife was/is a spy and such. I just hope it's not enough to delay the processing. As for the other question, I was reading reviews of other people's interview on here and one mentioned the interviewer said at the end: "welcome to the US." So I'm assuming the interviewer is a US Citizen.

A CO must be a USC. However that doesn't mean they don't speak fluent mandarin either. To work for the government in the USA, you generally have to be a USC.

• Ryan H locked this topic

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.