zach21uk

I-130 Question 16, Immigration Proceedings.

8 posts in this topic

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Cyprus
Timeline

Hi There,

Quick question. My wife is currently filling out the I-130. On question 16, does this refer to immigration proceedings in the US? Some time ago, I lived in Eastern Europe (Serbia) for 6 years and I got a two year exclusion as I was late filing visa renewal paperwork and they decided to be strict.

Anyway, would this be a "yes" or "no" for the purposes of the question on the I-130? I assume it means immigration proceedings in the US?

Kindest Regards

Zach

Edited by zach21uk

January 15th 2012: Met my future wife online.

November 12th 2014: Married in Paphos, Cyprus.

April 25th 2016: I-130 mailed to Chicago Lockbox.

May 20th 2016: I-130 returned due to problems with check.

May 23rd 2016: I-130 mailed to relative in California to insert check.

May 25th 2016: I-130 received by relative and forwarded to Chicago lockbox with check.

May 31st 2016: I-130 signed for at Chicago Lockbox via USPS.

June 4th 2016: NOA1 received by Email with May 31st acceptance date.

June 18th 2016: NOA1 hard copy received in mail - case sent to the Nebraska Service Center.

October 18th 2016: Case transferred to Texas Service Center

November 23rd 2016: Contacted State Senator (Marco Rubio) to ask for assistance.

December 19th 2016: Marco Rubios' office replied.

December 30th 2016: NOA2 Received by Email. Case Approved.

January 8th 2017: Case sent to Department of State (NVC)

January 19th 2017: Case Received by NVCNVC case number assigned. Invoice ID number received.

January 20th 2017: DS-261 completed online and AOS fees of $120.00 paid.

January 31st 2017: IV fee of $320.00 paid.

February 22nd 2017: Documents recieved by NVC (FedEx confirmation).

April 28th 2017: NVC case approved. Awaiting Interview Scheduling at US Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus (9 weeks, 2 days after documents received).

May 3rd 2017: Interview scheduled at US Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus for June 9th 2017  (5 days after NVC case approved).

June 9th 2017: Embassy Interview. APPROVED! Passport ready for collection in 5 working days! Flights booked! (on flexible tickets).

June 16th 2017: Passport back from US Embassy.  Flying to JFK on June 20th!

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Serbia
Timeline

I'm not a lawyer, and it's also questionable whether I'm Eastern European, but I'd also think they're referring to US-related immigration proceedings in that question.

Any questions are strictly related to US immigration proceedings.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

I'm not a lawyer, and it's also questionable whether I'm Eastern European, but I'd also think they're referring to US-related immigration proceedings in that question.

Lol Bez uvrede, druze. Ništa loše nisam tine mislio. Hvala ti na odgovoru! (sorry if my serbian has degraded, its been a few years!) (edited as my serbian friend corrected me lol).

Its a debate I have had many times with many people. I always get asked "Where is Serbia?" and by the time I've explained precisely where it is geographically, it always ends with "Soooooo....Eastern Europe right?". Either that or I get asked: "Wait, that's in Russia right?". I guess I have just given up hah!

Anyway, thank you :)

Edited by zach21uk

May 25th 2016: I-130 received by relative and forwarded to Chicago lockbox with check.

June 18th 2016: NOA1 hard copy received in mail - case sent to the Nebraska Service Center.

November 23rd 2016: Contacted State Senator (Marco Rubio) to ask for assistance.

January 19th 2017: Case Received by NVCNVC case number assigned. Invoice ID number received.

April 28th 2017: NVC case approved. Awaiting Interview Scheduling at US Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus (9 weeks, 2 days after documents received).

May 3rd 2017: Interview scheduled at US Embassy in Nicosia, Cyprus for June 9th 2017  (5 days after NVC case approved).

June 9th 2017: Embassy Interview. APPROVED! Passport ready for collection in 5 working days! Flights booked! (on flexible tickets).

Timeline

Any questions are strictly related to US immigration proceedings.

Thank you :)

Timeline

Lol Bez uvrede, druze. Ništa loše nisam tine mislio. Hvala ti na odgovoru! (sorry if my serbian has degraded, its been a few years!) (edited as my serbian friend corrected me lol).

Its a debate I have had many times with many people. I always get asked "Where is Serbia?" and by the time I've explained precisely where it is geographically, it always ends with "Soooooo....Eastern Europe right?". Either that or I get asked: "Wait, that's in Russia right?". I guess I have just given up hah!

Anyway, thank you :)

Ma ja sam to više onako šaljivo nego ozbiljno ;) / (I was more joking than being serious) So no problem!

P.S. "Bez uvrede, druže" was perfectly fine as well though.

Timeline

Ma ja sam to više onako šaljivo nego ozbiljno ;) / (I was more joking than being serious) So no problem!

P.S. "Bez uvrede, druže" was perfectly fine as well though.

Hvala :) To be fair, my friend also said it was fine but that it could come across as a bit "dry" and "confrontational" and I wanted to make sure it was light hearted banter more than anything.

Good to meet you by the way. I do not know too many Serbians that have made the move to the US - in fact just one friend from Pancevo who got her green card last year and moved to Utah. I suspect things will change soon though once direct flights to the US start in June and more Serbs head to the US for vacation, fall in love, etc. I am curious whether you know many Serbians in the US yourself? I constantly find myself missing the way people are in Serbia and the balkans as its very different than other countries and very nice I feel. I've met a few Serbians here in Cyprus whom I've become friends with and I would hope for the same once we move to the US.

Timeline

Oh, dude, you should totally come join us at the Serbia (Part II) topic here on VJ :D Anyway, well... maybe not a lot, but there's a few here and there pretty much anywhere in the US (I've met Serbian people in Mississippi of all places :D), but yeah, mostly few and far between outside of the major places (NYC, Chicago, LA, San Francisco...) and there's bound to be a few at pretty much any major university (most Serbian people I know in the US I know from my college/grad school years in the US).

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.