13 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Morocco
Timeline

So here is my concern I worked for the same company but 2 separate locations . When I received my w2 it seemed quite off but didn't think anything of it a month passed so I filed my taxes on my w2 it was listed at 17992 , then about 2 weeks later I received my other w2 I filed a amendment of taxes and when I received the irs transcript it was only 17992 , when it should say 28,000 . I have wrote a letter explaining the situation that I have included with aos. Has anyone been through the same I just don't want there to be anything wrong where I won't be able to sponsor my husband . I also just started a second job so if anything I can always send that too

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

in this case instead of providing the tax transcript, provide a COMPLETE copy of your amended return showing the higher income

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Amended returns take about 8-10 weeks to process. I would not suggest only sending in your copy of the Form 1040X because it doesn't prove you filed it, only that you know your income reported was lower than it should have been. The best proof would be the copy of the ACCOUNT TRANSCRIPT for the year you are requesting after the Form 1040X is processed.

The account transcript shows, "information on the financial status of the account, such as payments made on the account, penalty assessments, and adjustments made by you or the IRS after the return was filed. Return information is limited to items such as tax liability and estimated tax payments. Account transcripts are available for most returns."

Your AGI may stay the same, but later in the transcript, you will see adjustments and codes with different numbers. These are the later assessments that show the increase in taxable income, AGI, withholdings, tax, etc. When these changes are assessed, the IO will be able to see that you filed your amended return. Your RETURN TRANSCRIPT may not change for an amended return. (I don't think it does, but I could be wrong about that.)

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

in this case instead of providing the tax transcript, provide a COMPLETE copy of your amended return showing the higher income

I used turbotax online it it still doesn't show the amended ammount

Amended returns take about 8-10 weeks to process. I would not suggest only sending in your copy of the Form 1040X because it doesn't prove you filed it, only that you know your income reported was lower than it should have been. The best proof would be the copy of the ACCOUNT TRANSCRIPT for the year you are requesting after the Form 1040X is processed.

The account transcript shows, "information on the financial status of the account, such as payments made on the account, penalty assessments, and adjustments made by you or the IRS after the return was filed. Return information is limited to items such as tax liability and estimated tax payments. Account transcripts are available for most returns."

Your AGI may stay the same, but later in the transcript, you will see adjustments and codes with different numbers. These are the later assessments that show the increase in taxable income, AGI, withholdings, tax, etc. When these changes are assessed, the IO will be able to see that you filed your amended return. Your RETURN TRANSCRIPT may not change for an amended return. (I don't think it does, but I could be wrong about that.)

I used turbo tax anyway of getting it from there if not I can just provide my other work pay stubs

If it doesn't show the amended amounts and it will take a few weeks is there anything else I can provide

What is the immigration benefit you are applying for? Who is the beneficiary? When are you trying to send it or is it for RFE?

I used turbo tax anyway of getting it from there if not I can just provide my other work pay stubs

Wait, so what exactly did you file? You cannot electronically file the amended return. Did you prepare the Form 1040X on TurboTax and then sign and mail in the copy?

Signature coming soon...

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Pakistan
Timeline

I also use turbo tax, you need to print out a complete copy of your return and include copies of your W2. The complete copy of your current return will reflect the higher amount.

Spoiler

Married December 19, 2014

I-130 Petition sent January 14, 2015
NOA1 date January 20, 2015 (NSC)

NOA2 date May 28, 2015 :dance::dance::dance:

Mailed to NVC June 4, 2015

NVC Received June 10, 2015

NVC Case Number Assigned June 23, 2015

NVC AoS Invoice via Mail June 24, 2015

NVC Selected Agent Over Phone June 30, 2015 (Unable to logon to CEAC)

NVC IV Invoice via email received July 1, 2015

NVC AoS/IV Package Mailed July 2, 2015

NVC AoS & IV Fee Paid Online (CEAC is working) July 6. 2015

NVC Document Scan Date July 6, 2015

NCV AoS & IV Fee marked as paid in CEAC July, 7 2015

NVC DS 260 Completed July 8, 2015

NVC CC July 30, 2015 (24 days after scan date, about 2 months post NOA2)

Interview Scheduled on August 26, 2015

Interview P4 Email Received August 27, 2015

Medical in Islamabad September 2, 2015

Interview Date September 22, 2015 CANCELLED (Embassy is Over scheduled) :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

Interview Scheduled on September 10, 2015

Interview Date October 14, 2015 APPROVED

Visa Issued October 16, 2015, 9 months start to finish

POE JFK October 26, 2015

GC in Hand Jan 8, 2016

RoC I-751 NOA1 August 31, 2017 (Vermont Service Center)

Biometrics October 2, 2017

I551 Stamp in Passport August 2, 2018

18 Month Extension Letter August 3, 2018

Applied for Naturalization N-400 Online July 30, 2018

Biometrics August 23, 2018

10 year GC is in production September 17, 2018

Timeline

What is the immigration benefit you are applying for? Who is the beneficiary? When are you trying to send it or is it for RFE?

Wait, so what exactly did you file? You cannot electronically file the amended return. Did you prepare the Form 1040X on TurboTax and then sign and mail in the copy?

I'm filing for adjustment of status I am the beneficiary my husband is the one adjusting the status . I already sent it in but I haven't found it online through turbo tax anyone . I provided a letter explains and my w2 do show I made more than what's on the transcript . I also do have a second job but didn't put it on the aos because I already make enough. I wrote a letter explaining the situation . We also filed married filing jointly and on the 1040 it says income wages on top 17k but because we filed married filing jointly it lists 20k . So if I print the 1040 maybe that should be ok . I'm not really worried about tax errors cause I can fix it with irs just worried about being disqualified as a sponsor when I make more then enough .

Timeline

I also use turbo tax, you need to print out a complete copy of your return and include copies of your W2. The complete copy of your current return will reflect the higher amount.

complete copy of the return says wages salary 17k and then a few lines down it says if no one can claim and married filing jointly 20600 . If they go buy the 20k I'll be fine but by theb17k it won't be . And also after the amended taxes it should be around 28k not 17k

complete copy of the return says wages salary 17k and then a few lines down it says if no one can claim and married filing jointly 20600 . If they go buy the 20k I'll be fine but by theb17k it won't be . And also after the amended taxes it should be around 28k not 17k

The $20,600 is the combination of the personal and spousal exemptions and the MFJ filing status - it has nothing to do with immigration. You have to have earned at least $20,025.

I don't understand what you meant that you decided not to send in your wages from your second job. What does that mean? Did you report that income on your tax return or not? If you are sending a copy of your tax return, then you need to send in ALL of your Form W-2's - not just the ones up to the poverty limits. If you omit income, especially wages, it can be added back to your income when your return is matched with the Form W-2's filed under your SSN later in the year.

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

The $20,600 is the combination of the personal and spousal exemptions and the MFJ filing status - it has nothing to do with immigration. You have to have earned at least $20,025.

I don't understand what you meant that you decided not to send in your wages from your second job. What does that mean? Did you report that income on your tax return or not? If you are sending a copy of your tax return, then you need to send in ALL of your Form W-2's - not just the ones up to the poverty limits. If you omit income, especially wages, it can be added back to your income when your return is matched with the Form W-2's filed under your SSN later in the year.

this income I am reporting is for 2015 on aos . 2016 income I have from my current job that I have the 2 w2 from the second job I just starting working 3 weeks ago I do not have enough pay stubs as we get pod bi weekly that's why I didn't think to send the second income in .

For our AOS, I sent in account transcripts for all three past years (2012-2014) and included the W-2's as well. Technically, if you send a transcript, you don't need the W-2's, but no one got hurt. I sent in six pay stubs (to cover the past three months) from both my jobs. I also had just started the second one a few months before we filed the AOS. I included a spreadsheet that calculated what I had earned to that point and a projected annual amount. I highlighted the YTD amounts on both final checks and indicated that I had passed the poverty level for the 2015 year.

If I were in your situation, I would have done like Kastrs suggests and include a letter explaining your amended return. Include the date you filed, and an estimated time of when that return should be processed. Then include all your pay stubs from the 2015 tax return and pay stubs available for your 2016 year so far. (I know on my other job, I only get paid once a month, so I didn't have my first pay stub until six or seven weeks after I started.)

For the 2015 year, I would suggest including the transcript, a copy of your amended return from the tax software, and all your income documents (Form W-2 and 1099's) The requirements for the Form I-864 are a lot more stringent than the ones for Form I-134 for the fiance visa. Some USEm's don't even consider the I-134 since it's not legally binding, but the I-864 is more scrutinized.

Signature coming soon...

Timeline

Thanks so much for the help all . I have included a letter explains why the transcripts are lower and also just printed out my returns before amendment and also returns after ammendment . And w2 make copies to include that .

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.