Abikyshow

NVC processing and required documents for a stepchild

9 posts in this topic

Filed: Citizen (apr) Country: Nigeria
Timeline

Am a green card holder but my wife (UC) petitioned for my daughter and the i-130 approved. Her number has been forwarded to NVC for visa processing. what are the steps and the necessary documents needed to complete the process without any issue? . i never married to the biological mother but she has given me permission to take my daughter with me. do i need any letter from her? Please, i need a detailed response. Thanks

Letter would be needed for the interview. How old is the child? At the very least your spouse needs to fill out an AOS with documents, and the child needs a birth certificate with both parents names, a copy of the bio-data page of their passport, and 2 US sized passport pictures. If the child is over 16 they would also need a police certificate.

The steps are pretty much identical with a spousal visa or parent visa.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Timeline

She is 8 years. Do I need to include letter from the biological in documents to nvc? Please, tell me what to include in my packet to NVC. Thanks for your help and quick response

She is 8 years. Do I need to include letter from the biological in documents to nvc? Please, tell me what to include in my packet to NVC. Thanks for your help and quick response

You need a copy of her documents. Look on the NVC website! This is a diy website. ;)

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Filed: F-2A Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

Am a green card holder but my wife (UC) petitioned for my daughter and the i-130 approved. Her number has been forwarded to NVC for visa processing. what are the steps and the necessary documents needed to complete the process without any issue? . i never married to the biological mother but she has given me permission to take my daughter with me. do i need any letter from her? Please, i need a detailed response. Thanks

This should be your guide

https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/Submit_documents.html

• 1 month later...
Filed: Timeline

What green card do you have 2years or 10. You will need a lot of documents to prove a true marriage between you and the petitioner. Secondly you have to prove there is a step child relationship between your US Citizen wife and your daughter. My kids came through the same process and the US embassy first returned the case back to USCIS for revocation but case was reaffirmed and the visa was issued the at the second interview. It took us 2years.

Timeline

I have 10 years green card. We have sent the package to NVC. Am gonna put together all documents needed for her interview. DI'd embassy request for DNA test?

Timeline

What green card do you have 2years or 10. You will need a lot of documents to prove a true marriage between you and the petitioner. Secondly you have to prove there is a step child relationship between your US Citizen wife and your daughter. My kids came through the same process and the US embassy first returned the case back to USCIS for revocation but case was reaffirmed and the visa was issued the at the second interview. It took us 2years.

I have 10 years green card. Did embassy request DNA test from you?

• 5 years later...
Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Nigeria
Timeline
On 4/9/2016 at 7:47 PM, NikLR said:

NVC

@Abikyshow I read your post and we have almost the same story but slight differences. The mother of my own son abandoned him with my me when he was 3 months old and singlehandedly raised him till now age 16. I have my immigration visa already and will be in the US in 2 weeks. Luckily my son’s i-130 has been approved and now with NVC. I have filled NVC form fully submitted all civil documents required except mother’s consent letter. All efforts to locate her proved abortive and I had to attach just an affidavit of single parent made a few years ago showing that I raised him without his mother. I couldn’t declare her dead since no information about her, and I submitted I don’t know her age and address on DS260. I haven’t heard from NVC after submitting all documents as I await his DQ. Pls I what advise do you have? 

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.