samju

Need Advice ASAP - USA tourist visa

35 posts in this topic

Filed: K-1 Visa Country: Wales
Timeline

Like i mentioned there is no way to prove that, like there is no way to prove if job candidate A with the same profile as B is discriminated against. you probably did not read the comment in a good taste mister. are you from a third world country ? i assume you are not. that part of system is something you will never understand unless you lived in the system and i am saying this all to you in a good taste. let me give you an example which is hypothetical - a visa officer does not grant you a Non immigrant visa in spite of you fulfilling all the conditions in the book (great job, loads of money, lot of ties to the country) just because he did not feel like it at that time (you don't believe that, well i do). on the other hand family gets one with average/fake/spurious documents. what would you say about that ? they were able to convince the officer BS, off course they were. its the sole discretion of the officer at that time especially when applicants are from allegedly fraudulent countries.they bend rules because applicants make them bend the rules. they don't go by the book because they know what the real intent of majority of applicants for Non immigration visas from poor countries and this debacle the people with right intent sometime pays the price. see, like i said, its impossible to prove this but you know its there and i am not blaming the officers here.

It does seem by what you see on VJ that not enough people are discriminated against.

“If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle.”

Here is the summary of my situation;

Me and my husband live in the US . We have a green card. We want to invite my sister, her daughter, her son, my father and brother here for one month.

All of them are self sponsoring the trip.

1) My Father - Age 70, retired, has pension, and investments made in India. He had applied for a visitor visa in 2012 which got rejected. He again applied in 6 months in the same year but got rejected again.For the previous interviews he did not have sufficient documents to show strong ties back in India.The financial situation has changed significantly now and he has all the strong supporting documents.

(My mom passed away in 2010)

Possibility given the improved financial situation. If he can demonstrate - real estate, investments, social and family ties....etc. the usual stuff. Again, it is a gamble and your father has better chance that your brother.

2) My Brother - Age 45, single, has a stable job. Travelled to Australia in the year 2000 for further studies but had to return due to family emergency and did not get to complete the course. Applied for F1 visa for canada but got rejected. Applied for US tourist visa in 2012 but got rejected as well. For the previous interviews he did not have sufficient Financial documents to show strong ties back in India.The financial situation has changed significantly now and he has all the strong supporting documents.

Very limited to none chance.

3) My Sister - Age 40. Travelled to US on visitor visa in 2003. She had a 12 year visa which expired last year. Her husband has a valid US visitor visa.

Better chance if she has not abused her prior visa. Please look into options that you can even renew without having to go for interviews. However, there might be timeframe that you should apply to skip the interview.

4) My sisters daughter - Age 15, just finished her 10th exam. She had travelled to US in 2003. Had a US visitor visa for 5 years. Which has expired.

Better chance if she has not abused her prior visa. Please look into options that you can even renew without having to go for interviews. However, there might be timeframe that you should apply to skip the interview.

5) My Sisters son - Age 11, Has not had a visitor visa anytime.

Better chance.

My Questions

1) Should they all go in a group for the visa interview? ( My dad and brother have a 2 time visa rejected record) If my dad and brother go with my sister will it be a strong case?

Adult should go on their own. Minors to accompany the respective parents.

2) Should my dad only go with my sister and her kids for the visa interview?

3) Should my dad and brother go separately for the interview?

Thankyou.

See my responses/opinions within.

Filed: Other Country: United Kingdom
Timeline

Like i mentioned there is no way to prove that, like there is no way to prove if job candidate A with the same profile as B is discriminated against. you probably did not read the comment in a good taste mister. are you from a third world country ? i assume you are not. that part of system is something you will never understand unless you lived in the system and i am saying this all to you in a good taste. let me give you an example which is hypothetical - a visa officer does not grant you a Non immigrant visa in spite of you fulfilling all the conditions in the book (great job, loads of money, lot of ties to the country) just because he did not feel like it at that time (you don't believe that, well i do). on the other hand family gets one with average/fake/spurious documents. what would you say about that ? they were able to convince the officer BS, off course they were. its the sole discretion of the officer at that time especially when applicants are from allegedly fraudulent countries.they bend rules because applicants make them bend the rules. they don't go by the book because they know what the real intent of majority of applicants for Non immigration visas from poor countries and this debacle the people with right intent sometime pays the price. see, like i said, its impossible to prove this but you know its there and i am not blaming the officers here.

You haven't answered my question in any of that rant. What rule are the COs bending?

There is no checklist of conditions an applicant must pass to be granted a tourist visa when it comes to 214(b)

There is only one condition, they must convince the CO that they'll return home.

The rules are that the decision is solely down to the opinion of that person. So your analogy of two people going to a job interview with the same qualifications is invalid, or at least partially invalid as in the job situation if two people have the same qualifications then it's down to the one who the interviewer feels would be best for the job.

Two people going for tourist visas with identical circumstances might get different results, as the CO might believe one and not the other.

That's not bending any rules, that's following the rules as they are written.

As for me, as an Englishman living in Scotland I would say I'm in a third world country.

But I lost the VWP privileges that most Brits are blessed with, through my own ignorance and stupidity.

To date I have been denied a tourist visa 3 times. I don't try to blame the COs for doing their job and following their rules, even if I do think those rules are stupid. I accept that I failed to get a tourist visa because I failed to convince the CO that I have no intention of staying in the States.

So if you can tell me the exact rule that you think the embassies are breaking then next time I'll go along with that in my hand and guarantee myself a visa.

The tourist visa system is broken and not fit for purpose, don't blame the COs for that.

August 2000: We start e-mailing. I'm in Bosnia, she's in Florida

October 29th 2000: She sends me e-mail asking if I would marry her

October 29th 2000(5 seconds later): I say yes

November 2000: She sends me tickets to Orlando for when I get back

December 6th 2000: Return from Bos

December 11th 2000: Fly to Orlando, she meets me at airport

December 22nd 2000: I fly back to UK

January 3rd 2001: She flies to UK (Good times)

Mid February 2001: Pregnancy test Positive

Mid February 2001: She flies back to US

March 2001: Miscarriage, I fly to US on first flight I can get

May 2001: I leave US before my 90 days are up

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: Pregnancy test Positive again

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

March 6th 2003: We leave US for UK as family

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

June 13th 2006: I-129f sent

August 11th 2006: NOA1 Recieved

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Ghana
Timeline

You haven't answered my question in any of that rant. What rule are the COs bending?

There is no checklist of conditions an applicant must pass to be granted a tourist visa when it comes to 214(b)

There is only one condition, they must convince the CO that they'll return home.

The rules are that the decision is solely down to the opinion of that person. So your analogy of two people going to a job interview with the same qualifications is invalid, or at least partially invalid as in the job situation if two people have the same qualifications then it's down to the one who the interviewer feels would be best for the job.

Two people going for tourist visas with identical circumstances might get different results, as the CO might believe one and not the other.

As for me, as an Englishman living in Scotland I would say I'm in a third world country.

But I lost the VWP privileges that most Brits are blessed with, through my own ignorance and stupidity.

To date I have been denied a tourist visa 3 times. I don't try to blame the COs for doing their job and following their rules, even if I do think those rules are stupid. I accept that I failed to get a tourist visa because I failed to convince the CO that I have no intention of staying in the States.

So if you can tell me the exact rule that you think the embassies are breaking then next time I'll go along with that in my hand and guarantee myself a visa.

The tourist visa system is broken and not fit for purpose, don't blame the COs for that.

Well actually, it does seem like that. A CO once told an applicant that he and his wife look like just from looking at the applicant and the picture of petitioner and that was the end. The logical thing would have been to other a DNA test or something to back up that claim. You would never hear anything like that from any part of the world than an embassy in Africa.

So if they are going by rules, then what are the rules for "discretion" used by CO?

"Discretion" and "rules" do not fit together.

(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)(L)

CR- 1

Interview :  11/15/2016

Result: AP  (form 221 (g))

Correspondence with Embassy: Tons of emails, Facebook posts, tweets, Congressman inquiry

Complaint letter with OIG : 12/29/2016

Case dispatched to diplomatic pouch : 01/11/2017

Case dispatched from diplomatic mail service to NVC : 01/23/2017

Case arrived at NVC: 01/26/2017

NVC sent case to USCIS : 02/09/2017 (system update)

Case receive by USCIS (text & email notification): 03/07/2017

Reaffirm Petition Timeline for folks in GHANA.. Please update your information..Thank you!

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1k0NXnbJdyEIRR1_Dr4t3yXmsM0tBbq-tZsj0-o3cMV0/edit?usp=sharing

It was not a rant , you have answered your own question by saying the B1/B2 system is broken. that is all i meant. Also, there might not be official checklist for the paperwork one needs to submit but it is required or at least the onus is on the applicant to prove that he is well off in the native country and have enough ties to not to immigrate to the US. let me ask you something, text is simple - you provide/prove us the following and we will grant you a B2. Now, in spite of providing and proving the req. set of documents one still does not get a B2. why so ? what else one need to do to convince. it all about clicking at that particular time. about the job interview example i gave earlier, it is a valid argument. which i am not going to elaborate anymore.

Well actually, it does seem like that. A CO once told an applicant that he and his wife look like just from looking at the applicant and the picture of petitioner and that was the end. The logical thing would have been to other a DNA test or something to back up that claim. You would never hear anything like that from any part of the world than an embassy in Africa.

So if they are going by rules, then what are the rules for "discretion" used by CO?

there you go , thanks man

Filed: FB-1 Visa Country: Canada
Timeline

How can your brother have a stable job, but will allow him to take a whole month off at once???

How is this an issue? I have a stable job and I can arrange to take a month off if I plan accordingly. Shouldn't be that unusual.

Hollywood North

Former: TN1, H1B, O1 worker

Currently: FB-1: I-551 approved in MTL 04/04/16. Issued 04/06/16.

Timeline

It was not a rant , you have answered your own question by saying the B1/B2 system is broken. that is all i meant. Also, there might not be official checklist for the paperwork one needs to submit but it is required or at least the onus is on the applicant to prove that he is well off in the native country and have enough ties to not to immigrate to the US. let me ask you something, text is simple - you provide/prove us the following and we will grant you a B2. Now, in spite of providing and proving the req. set of documents one still does not get a B2. why so ? what else one need to do to convince. it all about clicking at that particular time. about the job interview example i gave earlier, it is a valid argument. which i am not going to elaborate anymore.

Blame the thousands of people who HAVE left behind great jobs, bank accounts, houses, cars and family members to get to the States and stay there. All those things that they promised would be why they have to go home.

The B1/B2 system is broken, but no rules are bent or broken when a tourist visa is denied.

June 2001: I fly back to US, stopped at airport for questioning as I had only just left

September 2001: She falls sick, I make decision to stay to look after her as I am afraid I may have problems getting back in.

April 16th 2002: Our son is born, we start getting stuff together for his passport

Early April 2003: Family troubles make her return to US, I ask Embassy in London about possibilities of returning to US

April 16th 2003: London Embassy informs me that I will be banned from the Visa Waiver Program for 10 years, my little boys first birthday

After our relationship breaks down she admits to me that she had never bothered to start the application process

Blame the thousands of people who HAVE left behind great jobs, bank accounts, houses, cars and family members to get to the States and stay there. All those things that they promised would be why they have to go home.

The B1/B2 system is broken, but no rules are bent or broken when a tourist visa is denied.

on a different and a casual note, Did you voted for Scotland or UK ?

Timeline

This is a discussion about tourist visas, not immigrant visas.

With tourist visas everything is down to the discretion of the CO in his perception of the applicants intent. 214(b) is the rule that gives him that discretion.

As it's written, 214(b) is pretty much impossible to bend or break as it is based completely on one persons opinion. An opinion based on something that is unquantifiable, another persons intent.

Timeline

on a different and a casual note, Did you voted for Scotland or UK ?

Although I do say 'Englishman living in Scotland' England is just the geographical area I was born in, first and foremost I am British and voted to keep the United Kingdom intact.

Although I do think it would have been exciting to have been there at the birth of a new independent country (and one that would have gained that independence without much bloodshed), I cannot say that I believe that Scotland would have been a success on its own.

Although I do say 'Englishman living in Scotland' England is just the geographical area I was born in, first and foremost I am British and voted to keep the United Kingdom intact.

Although I do think it would have been exciting to have been there at the birth of a new independent country (and one that would have gained that independence without much bloodshed), I cannot say that I believe that Scotland would have been a success on its own.

Thanks man, good luck with your B2. cheers

Yes I am looking for the best combination for an assured visa for everyone.

There is no set of combinations that might improve someone's chances. As you also posted in another online forum too, it's best to go and be honest with all questions. Sadly, a number of Indian nationals visiting the US on a B2 end up not returning back to India. It's possible that some may be granted visas while others may not.

USCIS

January 16, 2015 I-130 Mailed, Chi lockbox January 20, 2015 Priority Date, January 21, 2015 NOA1 notice date, Assigned VSC, January 23, 2015 Check Cashed, electronically March 5, 2015 NOA2

NVC

March 27, 2015 NVC received April 6, 2015 Case#, IIN# assigned April 8, 2015 Paid AOS + IV fee Invoices May 5, 2015 AOS + IV package submitted May 11, 2015 Scan Date

June 11, 2015 DS-260 submitted June 25, 2015 False checklist (for ds260).. hello? June 30, 2015 Answered checklist Aug 5, 2015 Escalated to Supervisor review Aug 13, 2015 Case Complete

Consular

Sept 10, 2015 Interview Scheduled Sept 11, 2015 P4 Letter received Sept 21, 2015 file In transit from NVC Sept 23, 2015 file at Embassy

Sept 28, 2015 Medical Oct 14, 2015 Biometrics Oct 15, 2015 Interview (Approved) Oct 19, 2015 IV visa Issued Oct 23, 2015 Passport Pickup

POE

Nov 2, 2015 Entered the US Nov 16, 2015 Applied for SSN, walk-in Nov 20, 2015 Social Security Card recd Jan 15, 2016 GC received

There is no set of combinations that might improve someone's chances. As you also posted in another online forum too, it's best to go and be honest with all questions. Sadly, a number of Indian nationals visiting the US on a B2 end up not returning back to India. It's possible that some may be granted visas while others may not.

that is true

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.