Siam Sam

Immigration Records for Prior U.S. Travel or Residence

6 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Country: Thailand
Timeline

My wife has her interview next Thursday, and one of the items asked to be taken there is "Immigration Records for Prior U.S. Travel or Residence."

We've traveled to the U.S. several times over the years, plus she lived in the U.S. on a student visa for 2-1/2 years from 1991-94. But she does not have any "immigration records" for any of that apart from the visas stamped into her old passports. I did go to the U.S. Customs and Border Patrol website, but on there we can find only her last entry and exit for the U.S., four years ago.

How do we find "immigration records"? Is there another website to go to?

Timeline

Thanks. We thought of passports, but since it already says she has to take all of her previous ones with her but then lists the immigration records separately, we thought there was some other form needed. She'll definitely have all her passports with her though.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Serbia
Timeline

If she was a student she should have an I-20 (if she was on an F1 visa) or a DS-2019 (I believe that's the J1 equivalent) form as well (or even multiple ones).

Edited by rutabaga

Timeline

Looking in her old passports, she now sees she does have a couple of some sort of form. One was from 1988, her first time in the U.S., when her office here sent her to a conference in Honolulu. Then she has a similar form stamped in 1992, about a year into her stay as a graduate student. They're so faded, you can barely read them, but there are no form numbers. At the top it says they're from the United States Information Agency and something to do with eligibility for J-1 status. Nothing saying I-20 or DS-2019, but maybe that far back they did not use those designations?

We'll try to copy those anyway, and she'll take the originals with her.

Filed: Citizen (pnd) Country: Serbia
Timeline

Quite possible since I don't know when they started using those forms, but the I-20 (for students on the F1 visa) and DS-2019 (for students/exchange visitors on the J1 visa) would be separate paper forms anyway.

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.