barracuda

question about income

10 posts in this topic

Filed: Other Timeline

I'm an ESL teacher in Asia and I read that I wouldn't be able to use this as an income. I also don't have anyone to use as a joint sponsor either. Would it be possible for me to use strictly my asset? I'm reading conflicting things regarding the amount required for the asset such as it needing to be 3x or 5x. For example, if the minimum requirement is, say, 21,000 then would it be possible for me to have 63,000 in the bank? Or if it were 5x would it work if I had 105,000 in the bank?

Thanks everyone!

The foreigner would have to show 5x in assets and would have to be in the bank for a period of time and show proof of the assets.

It's better if the USC has the assets then it would only be 3x the amount I believe.

But using 100% assets is a hard thing to be approved from what I read on here. Maybe someone else would be able to advise you better.

Filed: IR-1/CR-1 Visa Country: Vietnam
Timeline

If you haven't had this money for around a year or more then it's not likely to be accepted. Money popped into an account to satisfy the affidavit of support wouldn't be accepted. Now if it's cash that's the result of liquidating some other asset then it may be accepted depending on the paper trail. Money held outside the US isn't as easily used. Some countries have limits on how much can be transferred out.

Cash in the US would be 3 times. Assets outside the US can be 3x and sometimes 5x. That is up to the CO conducting the interview.

See the form I864 instructions for more information. Also the link below to the I864 FAQ may be helpful.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

CALL THIS NUMBER TO ORDER IRS TAX TRANSCRIPTS >> 800-908-9946

PLEASE READ THE GUIDES -->> Link to Visa Journey Guides

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Timeline

Why would you not be able to use that as income? If you file taxes then it is income

Because that income would not continue when the petitioner moves back to the US. Current and continuing income is what is needed.

I-864 Affidavit of Support FAQ -->> https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/support/i-864-frequently-asked-questions.html

FOREIGN INCOME REPORTING & TAX FILING -->> https://www.irs.gov/publications/p54/ch01.html#en_US_2015_publink100047318

MULTI ENTRY SPOUSE VISA TO VN -->>Link to Visa Exemption for Vietnamese Residents Overseas & Their Spouses

Because that income would not continue when the petitioner moves back to the US. Current and continuing income is what is needed.

Haha duh! sorry I had a brain fart, yep 100% right, for some reason my mind was still stuck on the past 3 years income, which is not so important just that you had income, current is what counts.Anyway you are going to have to re-establish your home and ties to the US as well as get a job inside the US.

dg71gl.jpg8xovp4.jpg

Filed: Other Timeline
Hi guys thanks for the replies, I truly appreciate it. Let's say for example I don't plan on going back to the states until 2-3 years from now and I plan on transferring my money into the bank in my US account after the first year, then again on the 2nd, and again on the 3rd and so on (or would it be wiser to do it every 6 months?).

Would it be possible that since I still have ties to the US such as a home (my parents home), a phone bill that I've been constantly paying for, and even my US bank account (where the money for the asset will be) that I meet the guideline as a US citizen for the 3x asset amount?

Thanks again

Timeline

Show the paper trail that you've held the money for a long time and it ought to be ok.

Are you filing US tax returns each year?

Hi guys thanks for the replies, I truly appreciate it. Let's say for example I don't plan on going back to the states until 2-3 years from now and I plan on transferring my money into the bank in my US account after the first year, then again on the 2nd, and again on the 3rd and so on (or would it be wiser to do it every 6 months?).
Would it be possible that since I still have ties to the US such as a home (my parents home), a phone bill that I've been constantly paying for, and even my US bank account (where the money for the asset will be) that I meet the guideline as a US citizen for the 3x asset amount?
Thanks again

Yes if you have the paper trail and the money has been in the bank for some period of time, then you can use 3x the assets as the USC petitioner. It definitely helps to have those ties as well. Some countries are pickier about domicile (Canada for example) but most overseas are pretty decent and less strict.

You can even start the petition 2-3 years ahead of when you want to be in the USA and dawdle quite a bit at the NVC stage.

It's much easier to slow this process down and almost impossible barring a few circumstances, to speed it up.

You have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose.  - Dr. Seuss

Didn't find the answer you were looking for? Ask our VJ Immigration Lawyers.